Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nirvanemesis

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2014
Created an account just for this. A person working at an UK retailer said on reddit that Apple halted shipments for the Macbook Air, Macbook Pro, and the iMac. This means that apple will probably launch new macs (presumably with Broadwell) on March 9.

Link:http://http://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/2xhano/new_macs_march_9th/

I imagine it'd be difficult to refresh the 15" MBPr and the iMac, because higher performance Broadwell chips aren't due until the summer. Apple might get them a month early, but probably not three or four months.

chad.petree

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2013
Germany
I imagine it'd be difficult to refresh the 15" MBPr and the iMac, because higher performance Broadwell chips aren't due until the summer. Apple might get them a month early, but probably not three or four months.

I think we will unfortunately have to wait until June and the MWC to see new macbook pro refreshes but an update for the rumored 12" air on the 9th wouldn't be so crazy, the air is terribly outdated after all :confused:

Alakagom

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2015
I am wondering if Apple will release Macbook Air 12inch with the Broadwell and wait to update Pro after the Air update with Skylake. Obviously it all depends on Intel but I could see that making some sense at least ( To me at least :p )

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
Four Words:

REDUCED INPUT SET COMPUTATION

Tired of CISC. Plain and simple. Bring RISC back to the desktop and Apple computing environment, if this means an Apple-IBM partnership to do this chip, so be it. Tired of hearing about ARM when nothing is going on the desktop side and it looks like Moore's law has caught up with CISC.

:apple:

BenDo

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2014
ugh guess I will wait if theres anything happening with the MBP on march 9th..itching to upgrade my 13' early 2011 to a 15' w/ retina.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013
ugh guess I will wait if theres anything happening with the MBP on march 9th..itching to upgrade my 13' early 2011 to a 15' w/ retina.

Are we definitely going to see new MBPs at some point this year?

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013
Are we definitely going to see new MBPs at some point this year?

Definitely, the last major upgrade was in late 2013 when I bought mine.

Personally i think we will see Apple skip Broadwell and wait till mid to late '15 and upgrade their lineup with Skylake - but this is pure speculation. I'm itching to upgrade too.

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007
Four Words:

REDUCED INPUT SET COMPUTATION

Tired of CISC. Plain and simple. Bring RISC back to the desktop and Apple computing environment, if this means an Apple-IBM partnership to do this chip, so be it. Tired of hearing about ARM when nothing is going on the desktop side and it looks like Moore's law has caught up with CISC.

:apple:

Intel CPU's have a RISC core since pentium 4....

Jayayess1190

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2013
Intel's Skylake chips to appear in tablets, PCs, servers
Intel CEO Brian Krzanich says partners, including PC makers, are looking forward to Skylake

Intel has hailed Skylake as its most important chip architecture in a decade and now says that it will be used in mainstream Core i3, i5 and i7 PC processors as well as Xeon server chips.

The first Skylake chip is expected to be Core M, designed to be used in Windows as well as Android tablets and hybrids.

The first Skylake PCs are expected to be available in the second half this year. Dell, for example, has said it will launch Skylake laptops in that time frame. Intel's chips are used by most PC makers.

Intel is expecting big graphics performance improvements, longer laptop battery life, and better CPU performance with the new chips. Skylake will also allow users to wirelessly charge laptops, connect to monitors, and transfer data to peripherals.

"When I look at the range of what Skylake's able to deliver from the Core M level all the way up to the i7 and Xeon, it's just going to be a fantastic product," Intel CEO Brian Krzanich said in an interview with the IDG News Service at Mobile World Congress in Barcelona. Up to now, Intel had confirmed only that Skylake would be going into Core M chips.

chad.petree

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2013
Germany
Come on apple! I need to buy a 13" macbook pro retina, is it so hard for you to release a refresh right now with broadwell? and maybe add a bit more storage than 256 gb? In which world does upgrading a 256 gb SSD to a 500 gb SSD costs almost 300 euros more? :rolleyes: I'm not asking for skywell right now, only broadwell ;)

Last edited:

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Come on apple! I need to buy a 13" macbook pro retina, is it so hard for you to release a refresh right now with broadwell? and maybe add a bit more storage than 256 gb? In which world does upgrading a 256 gb SSD to a 500 gb SSD costs almost 300 euros more? :rolleyes: I'm not asking for skywell right now, only broadwell ;)

I hope not, because Broadwell is not exactly a compelling upgrade, and if we get a Broadwell update now I can't exactly see a Skylake upgrade in the fall.

I completely agree with the storage, but Apple has always been extra stingy with it. Don't see it changing.

mafaky

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2014
Istanbul, Turkey
I hope not, because Broadwell is not exactly a compelling upgrade, and if we get a Broadwell update now I can't exactly see a Skylake upgrade in the fall.

I completely agree with the storage, but Apple has always been extra stingy with it. Don't see it changing.

You're right, sir!...

My prediction is that 2015 will be a "refreshing year" for both the 11" & 13"MBA as well as 13" & 15" rMBP. Both will be refreshed to Broadwell from Haswell (with the appropriate Broadwell chips...). Broadway & Haswell are pin to pin compatible, so that Apple can use the (almost) very same MB used in 2014 models. The only advantage to be gained by the consumer will be longer battery life due to the introduction of broad wells.

2016 (mid 2016 & onwards....) will be the real important re-designs year. I have my rather radical predictions there, when Apple will switch to Skylake. I even go as far as, deleting the 13" rMBP (bcz. I predict there will be a totally new design 14" rMBA, similar in aesthetics and features with the presently rumoured 12" rMBA...), and the rMBP line will consist of 15" & 17" models in totally new aesthetics and footprints (casings, etc.).

We'll see!...;):D

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
You're right, sir!...

My prediction is that 2015 will be a "refreshing year" for both the 11" & 13"MBA as well as 13" & 15" rMBP. Both will be refreshed to Broadwell from Haswell (with the appropriate Broadwell chips...). Broadway & Haswell are pin to pin compatible, so that Apple can use the (almost) very same MB used in 2014 models. The only advantage to be gained by the consumer will be longer battery life due to the introduction of broad wells.

2016 (mid 2016 & onwards....) will be the real important re-designs year. I have my rather radical predictions there, when Apple will switch to Skylake. I even go as far as, deleting the 13" rMBP (bcz. I predict there will be a totally new design 14" rMBA, similar in aesthetics and features with the presently rumoured 12" rMBA...), and the rMBP line will consist of 15" & 17" models in totally new aesthetics and footprints (casings, etc.).

We'll see!...;):D

I think (hope?) that you're wrong because Broadwell was so heavily delayed, and Apple must have already planned a Skylake redesign for the Summer/Fall anyway. It makes more sense just to skip Broadwell. But you're right, we'll see! I'm probably a naive optimist.

mafaky

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2014
Istanbul, Turkey
I wonder if the MBPs will get some updates on Monday?

Regretfully to say: "very very unlikely". Expect a refresh (and not a re-design) by mid-2015 with Broadwell's in rMBP 13" & 15". The older non-retina MBP (still having the optical drive still with Ivy Bridge chips) will probably be discontinued by mid-2015 as well...

mafaky

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2014
Istanbul, Turkey
Apple has called a media event the 9th of March
http://www.cnbc.com/id/102458730#.

Rumored Macbook air Retina broadwell to be announced :p

I'd love to see the launch of that 12" rMBP (just out of curiosity, though) as well as the refreshes (to Broadwell) on MBA 11" & 13" but I think these will not happen.

Apple Watch is a big big new and prestigious product line for Apple and I expect they will prefer to carry out the show focused only on Apple Watch. They will not want anything to shadow the Apple Watch...

The MBA refreshes can be made silently, by end June. The rumoured 12" rMBA is also a very new addition to the line and Apple will want to make a big big fuss/show on that one as well. Although it's not very customary, they may carry out this launch during 2015 WWDC (in June)...

Brittw1

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2014
Regretfully to say: "very very unlikely". Expect a refresh (and not a re-design) by mid-2015 with Broadwell's in rMBP 13" & 15". The older non-retina MBP (still having the optical drive still with Ivy Bridge chips) will probably be discontinued by mid-2015 as well...

I wouldn't say "very very unlikely" the fact that they have pushed the shipping dates to Monday for both the airs and 13rmbp is definitely suspicious. I would even say "likely" as i don't see any other reason why they would do that. But who knows we will just have wait till Monday to see.:)

nirvanemesis

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2014
I wouldn't say "very very unlikely" the fact that they have pushed the shipping dates to Monday for both the airs and 13rmbp is definitely suspicious. I would even say "likely" as i don't see any other reason why they would do that. But who knows we will just have wait till Monday to see.:)

Agreed. While it's rare for Apple to split up the 13" and 15" refresh, the Broadwell processors are out right now for the 13", so why not use them?

Adhvaitv

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2015
anybody expecting new macbook pro ? Having

New processor lineup
Might be slimmer with usb type c
Space grey colour
No fan
Less badges (edge to edge screen and keyboard)
Lesser price or more storage capacity

Melons

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2012
The problem right now is that the rMBP 13 chips are available, but not the ones for the 15". So would they update the 13" now to compete with the XPS 13(which should compete with the air if the air was up to date)

We are now 221 days from the last update, which was a tiny bump in CPU speed and more RAM across the board. So an update now to the 13" would mean differencing the specs of the 13" to the 15", and also the fastest update of about 225 days since the last one. On the other hand, if they were to wait until june(i doubt the 15" chips are even ready by then, rumors say july", it would be the longest gap between updates by far.

Updating them in july would also gives only ~3-4 months until skylake is said to be available. That means they would wait until about this time next year for the skylake update. To me that would be a dangerous move if new, thin laptops starts hitting the market in october-november and apple waiting with their release almost half a year from the skylake release.

With the 12" rMBA releaseing soonish(now-june) they could let the rMBP sit in the shadows for a bit and let the rMBA be their "thing" until rMBP hits skylake and can catch up with the rest. Im having a really hard time guessing the outcome of their release schedule with intels delays.

AR86

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2014
anybody expecting new macbook pro ? Having

New processor lineup
Might be slimmer with usb type c
Space grey colour
No fan
Less badges (edge to edge screen and keyboard)
Lesser price or more storage capacity

Why? why would apple start reducing prices on their hardware especially if its a new release/design if anything there will be more to pay, expectations like this are similar to those who expect any new macs to be shipped out with a GTX 980.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.