Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 8, 2014
I've certainly added my share of complaints regarding USB 3 drives in late model MacBooks. 4 different enclosures, 5 different hdd's/ssd's. All of them were a pita to get to mount, would spontaneously eject, refused to remount (at times had to restart the Mac) and improper ejects on sleep and the lid being closed.

I had tried Crucial's, newish HGST's, older Hitachi's and a borrowed WD. Enclosures included an OWC Mercury Elite Pro mini, an OWC Express, a WD Passport and an Oyen mini pro. All were total fails. All except the Express were returned.

I recently purchased a new Samsung 2.5" 2 tb drive, ST2000LM003. Installed it in an OWC Express. Used it to load a new MacBook. I used it to load 700 gig over several days. I don't do migrations. Been using it on and off for over a week now. The Mac has slept, shutdown and restarted, the cover's been closed while on, the drive's been ejected and remounted tons of times, unplugged and re plugged dozens of times. Never a hint of an issue.

Tried it on my wife's Air which had the above issues. Same positive results.

I'm surprised it was the drive that was the problem. Whatever, the Samsung works. Anyone struggling with USB 3 drive issues might want to try a Spinpoint.

Note on USAP or SuperSpeed. I've read some interesting reports of their effectiveness over non-USAP enclosures. All of the above are USAP. Only Oyen made a big deal out of it. I doubt if you can even find one that's not. Check the chipset, in most cases (in my case, all) you can probably buy the enclosure you want with a USAP chip whether its pointed out in the marketing or not. Yes some people claimed material increases in speeds testing against enclosures with the same chipsets.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.