Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

toreddie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2015
I see that Apple is spending lots of time and resources to update and increase the Emoji icons in both OS X and iOS

For someone who uses my Apple devises primarily for business, it is more important to see Apple concentrate on making their devises truly international in their use. By this I mean by now (2015) I should be able to e.g. auto spell check my documents in just about any language. Currently, Apple supports only 12 languages (5 different English, 2 Portuguese and 10 other). In comparison, Microsoft supports about 45-50 different languages.

I made the switch to the Mac platform about 5-6 years ago and I am extremely pleased with the switch. I would love to use the native productivity products (Pages, Numbers, Keynote, Mail) 100% but when the majority of my work is in a language not supported by OS X (Norwegian), I have been forced to use MS Office for Mac, which supports the language I need.

Thus far I have resisted installing Outlook on my machines, but it is becoming increasingly cumbersome (not very productive) to write my e-mail in Word so I can spell check before copying and pasting the text into a Mac Mail message to send.

Ironically, I can use iMessage on my iOS devises and it will autocorrect Norwegian.

It is hard, as a business person, to understand why this language capability is so limited in Apple´s productivity software. Equally hard is it to understand what the big "hoopla" is over new and improved Emojis. Mac products (OS X or iOS) are more than for fun and entertainment. People use them to make money as well.

Can anyone shed any light on why this shortcoming has not been solved years ago, or provide some glimmer of hope that there is an imminent update that will address and fix this issue? Or, am I the only one with this kind of issue?

toreddie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2015
jorgk, I appreciate your sympathy.
dejo, it is a figure of speech. I think you get what I mean. Whether they spent "a lot" or "a little" time and/or resources, it was wasted, in my opinion. What is important is that this will not do anything for me and my business productivity. To be honest, my comments were based on reports I read. Maybe these reports didn´t tell everything the new versions will bring. I doubt that is the case.

Planey28

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
Birmingham, UK
jorgk, I appreciate your sympathy.
dejo, it is a figure of speech. I think you get what I mean. Whether they spent "a lot" or "a little" time and/or resources, it was wasted, in my opinion. What is important is that this will not do anything for me and my business productivity. To be honest, my comments were based on reports I read. Maybe these reports didn´t tell everything the new versions will bring. I doubt that is the case.

It is not important that it doesn't do anything for you. For some people it is a big deal that these are being added. Just because you don't care, doesn't mean Apple "wasted" their time on it.

toreddie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2015
samplane123, I guess we have to wait and see how these new Emojis help us become more productive and move the world forward. My comments were made from a business productivity prospective. I still don´t see how all these new Emojis will help me, or anyone else, become more productive, but I may be completely wrong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.