Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Patth9

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
The Mac freezes sporadically, even if I leave the side door open and have an external fan blowing.

When I starts the G4 up a flashing face/folder and question mark switch back and forth about 6 times before the center Apple shows, if I'm fortunate.

Trying to keep this G4 MDD Apple Model No:M8570 going.

Patt

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2014
What kind of freeze? Complete freeze where even mouse cursor cant move or less freeze where you can move the mouse and stuff but you get stuck at beachball when you try to do something?

If it's the latter then it's probably bad HDD. If it's the former then it may be bad RAM.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
When I starts the G4 up a flashing face/folder and question mark switch back and forth about 6 times before the center Apple shows, if I'm fortunate.

This is usually a symptom of looking for a non-existant booting partition. System Preferences > Startup Disk, select the boot drive and restart.

If the problem continues to occur afterward it's likely a failing hard drive. This would also cause system freezes (with beachballs, as poiihy said).

Patth9

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
Thanks redheeler. Apologies for the very late reply.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.