Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
I recently got the Z3 Compact Tablet and I love it for the most part.

I'm having a battery drain issue and the culprit seems to always be Google+. Thing is, I don't use Google+ or even have an account. But if I leave it for a half day, the battery will drop 20-25% and 99% of the battery usage will always be for that app.

I have the various power saving features activated, and I tried deleting the app. If I do that it warns that it's a core app and may cause problems, or something like that.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I'm surprised there's so little love/attention for Sony devices here. The Z3 and Z3 Compact both seem like outstanding phones.

I'm actually pretty excited to see what the Z4 will bring. Rumor is they will lose the flaps but somehow retain waterproofing...?

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
I recently got the Z3 Compact Tablet and I love it for the most part.

I'm having a battery drain issue and the culprit seems to always be Google+. Thing is, I don't use Google+ or even have an account. But if I leave it for a half day, the battery will drop 20-25% and 99% of the battery usage will always be for that app.

I have the various power saving features activated, and I tried deleting the app. If I do that it warns that it's a core app and may cause problems, or something like that.

I had issues with google+ too. I have had it disabled, via the settings app, for months now and all is well. It came preloaded on my device, so I cant uninstall it via settings. Would have to manually remove it, but it seems having it disabled is good enough.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
I had issues with google+ too. I have had it disabled, via the settings app, for months now and all is well. It came preloaded on my device, so I cant uninstall it via settings. Would have to manually remove it, but it seems having it disabled is good enough.

This wound up working for me too. I have no clue what the app was doing since I never used it.

Thanks for the response. The Sony thread is pretty quiet.

apolloa

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Wow how does the PS4 streaming work? Sounds extremely cool.

Well... using it on my Z3 Tablet, it works fine for single player games like Far Cry 4, but it has a bit too much lag for Call Of Duty multiplayer I have found, that's with my PS4 connected to my router via homeplugs running at 200mbps, using CAT6 ethernet cables and the router and PS4 have gigabit ethernet, then using wireless AC to the tablet. upstairs, router is downstairs.

And when you connect the Dualshock 4 to the tablet, you have to reconnect it back to the PS4 if you want to use it like that again, although you just plug the USB cable into it and press the PS button.

So it has plusses and minuses IMO. And although it will work across the internet, I couldn't get it to work as it wasn't fast enough at work haha. But that's not surprising.

apolloa

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 21, 2008
Well this doesn't bode well for future Sony devices.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/2/18/8063269/sony-electronics-future-selling-off-pc-smartphone-tv

They're also not announcing an Xperia Z4 at MWC, saving it for later in the year. Sounds like they're really scaling back...

Yeah I think they will partner with someone else for their mobile devices. Like they did with Ericsson.
But they got to do what they got to do to stay in business. Concentrate on the stronger divisions especially the PlayStation, and cover their losses for a while.

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
Well this doesn't bode well for future Sony devices.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/2/18/8063269/sony-electronics-future-selling-off-pc-smartphone-tv

They're also not announcing an Xperia Z4 at MWC, saving it for later in the year. Sounds like they're really scaling back...
Not that surprising, Sonys main thing is their Financial arm and holdings in that sector. I used to consult in that sector, think a lot of people would be surprised at how many large companies have massive financial/insurance divisions that outplay their "core" known products (like an electronics company, obviously lol). I would close deals and people would be like you did what with x company, huh?!?! lol

apolloa

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 21, 2008
Well, it's that time of year and some new Sony goodies will be launched next month. So far a couple of low and mid end phones, no one is expecting the high end Z4 phone to be announced.
BUT the new Xperia Z4 tablet has been leaked, it is expected to be around 10" in size, and look like my Xperia Z3 tablet compact. It will have a 2k screen resolution and best in class battery life and a 'superfast' processor, which wasn't leaked.

Photo:

Xperia-Z4-Tablet_1-640x285.png

Xperia-Z4-Tablet_2-315x560.png

DanGoh

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2014
If I had to get an Android device, it'd be a Sony. Maybe one day............

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
I feel it's time to move on from my Z3 Compact - want a bigger phone, so it'll be the Z4 (expect in June) or a Galaxy S6/Edge.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.