Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pjv1990

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2012
Hello everyone, thought I would create a thread that is a little different. So we have had 10 iterations of iPhone over the past few years, all the way from the vanilla iPhone back in 2007 through to the 3GS all the way to the current 6 and 6+ models with many fans having several (if not all of them over the years).

I wanted to ask iPhone fans what their favorite iPhone has been not necessarily from a features/speed point of view (where the 6 would obviously win) but from your own nostalgia/life experience POV and how it surpassed your wildest dreams and enriched your life. I think many apple fans grow strong personal/nostalgic attachments to their devices and that is what inspired me to create this thread.

Was it your first iPhone? Was it a particular design/redesign of a generation? Was it a gift from a loved one? The phone you spent all night talking to your soul mate on from thousands of miles away? Or perhaps that time you waited excitedly for days in line and met other iPhone fans? Document/photograph the baby years of your children? Record funny pet videos? You get the picture!

Would be great to hear some outlandish/intriguing/funny stories and opinions other than "I like the 6 because it's the fastest" (though that is acceptable too!)

I thought it was an interesting way to approach the question, let's hear some great stories :)

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
iPhone 4. It was the first phone I had owned that did everything I needed, and well.
I'd had plenty of mobiles up to that point but none had the excellent build quality, camera, features, and smooth operation that phone had. I was extremely happy with it for two whole years. No upgrade itch and no problems. To this day it remains my favourite phone.

RiddlaBronc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2013
Mcallen Tx
Iphone 3g in all its black greatness. It was the baddest phone around and it was still a rare sight at that time. It got me through the wait time between classes the first semester of college.
Unfortunately it got stolen#

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
It's pretty simple for me. My favorite phone was my 4S. It was my first iPhone and my intro into the smartphone world. It's funny because it was Nov 2011, and the 4S had recently come out. My mom wanted me to get a smartphone (at the time I claimed I didnt have any use for one). I originally went into Verizon and got a white iPhone 4. I took it home, played with it, loved it, but then after a few days I was like, what the hell, why didnt I get the fastest most current iteration of the iPhone?

So back I went to Verizon and returned it in hopes they would have a white 4S in stock. They didnt. It was around the holidays and they were practically out of stock everywhere. So I had to have it shipped to me at my place in Los Angeles (I ordered it at home in Ohio). About a week or so rolled by and my iPhone arrived. I came home from work and saw it standing in front of my apt door. I remember how excited I was. Having the iPhone 4 and then returning it was such a tease for me. I had to go back to my LG flip phone until my 4S came. I opened the box, carefully placed it in into the case I had for the 4, booted it up and fell in love.

I noticed immediately how much faster the 4S was over the 4, and the camera was so much better. I was so happy that I had returned the 4 for the 4S. And since then it's been all iPhone. Had the 4S, had the 5S, spent some time on a 4, and now on the 6. The 6 is so fast, and I love the bigger screen, but the 4S will always be my most coveted.

Last edited:

Nickpocalypse

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2011
Vancouver, BC, CA
Probably not really the purpose of the thread, but I think the iPhone 4/4s with iOS6 was the "golden age" of iPhones, aesthetically speaking. That's my favourite iPhone generation I'd say.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
From a looks perspective, The 4 and 5 are smashing, the 6 is too thin. I never saw an iPhone 3 or earlier but I would probably be impressed.

I will not sell the iPhone 4 gens and the 5 that I have. :)

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
I've had the 3GS,4 and 5..

This is a hard one.

The 3GS will hold a special place as it was first, I got it in September 2012 and it was a nice phone, but the battery wasn't in great shape.

However I really liked the iPhone 4 that I got after it. I got the 4 in April 2013, and had it till April 2013. I had literally no issues with that phone. It had great battery life, a great solid feel, it ran iOS 6 well, and iOS 7 perfectly acceptably. The 4 always felt premium and was one of those 'unreachable things' when it was released while I was getting towards the end of high school, so when I got it(despite being considered old at that stage) it was pretty amazing.

My current iPhone 5 is nice, but the battery life isn't as nice as the 4 and its just different.

mangywarez

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2013
Holding the iPhone 6 in my hand, I still long for the same processing power and apps compatibility in my iPhone 4s. Would have loved to have a powerhouse packed iPhone 4s.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Holding the iPhone 6 in my hand, I still long for the same processing power and apps compatibility in my iPhone 4s. Would have loved to have a powerhouse packed iPhone 4s.

I would love a 3.5 or 4 inch A8 iPhone.. both were good screen sizes.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
It's hard to decide between the 3G and the 4.

The 3G was my first iPhone and first real smartphone. So I have sentimental feelings attached to it. However the 4 was more polished and stable than the 3 and the retina display was a revelation in its day.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
For me, it would be the iPhone 4. I camped overnight to get one for me and my wife. It was sleek, fast, and did everything I needed it to.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Purely emotionally? The iPhone 4 and/or 4S (they weren't awfully different). It was a huge leap forward in design and function. My iPhone 6s are much better, more useful phones, but I have a warm spot for the 4S.

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
My personal favorite iPhone to date has been the iPhone 5s. I absolutely love the device.

The original has a special place, but the 5s is still my favorite...

However the iPhone 6 is really growing on me. I like the screen size. The antenna bands have really grown on me and I can't imagine the phone without them now. However the protruding camera is still an issue for me.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
I'd say it would be the 3GS (remarkable performance during its time), 4 (iconic design) and the 5s (the last iPhone-ish looking of all iPhones).

The 6/6+ designs have deviated so far from the rest of the previous iPhones.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
I would say iPhone 6 because I got my 6 in the mail at 11:12am on launch day. That really made me so happy. :)

Also great thread OP.

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
The 4.

It was such a quantum leap from what the 3GS was....it was a Bob Beamon jump in smart phone technology.

Since then I think the market has gotten a bit jaded. Every release seems incremental and a lot of the features 'gimmicky'...but the 4 was SO good.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
It's between the 3G and the 4.

When I first saw a coworker using the iPhone 3G and later went to buy one myself, it totally blew me away. Made me go from "what's the purpose of a smartphone" to "oh my god, full internet websites in my hands plus an iPod".

But then when I saw how beautiful and sleek the design of the iPhone 4 was along with its gorgeous retina display, I felt like I just HAD to have it. I had no interest in the 3GS the year prior, but the iPhone 4 was incredible.

merrickdrfc

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2011
Doncaster / Berlin
I think mine has to be the iPhone 5. The chamfered edges (even though they were the most scratch prone surface on the planet) and the whole aesthetic of the device made it feel really premium. It also ran iOS more smoothly than any device I've ever owned, seriously overpowered at the time for iOS 6.

vantt1

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2014
iPhone 4/4S. That stainless steel + glass front and back combination was (and still is) legendary. The GSM iPhone 4 had only three antenna bands which provided better structural integrity than the CDMA version and the 4S, which both had four bands.

But overall I prefer the symmetrical appearance of the latter, because the redesigned antenna layoutmeant an uninterrupted steel surface along top edge, and also better reception. And you can't help but love that ambiguous grille design down the bottom, which mislead many people into thinking it had stereo speakers!

iPhone-4s-top-bottom.jpg

Nostalgic part: the design was also the last to be released under Steve Jobs-era Apple, which I consider to be the last "true" iPhone. Newer generations, although retaining the general design and are excellent devices, just don't feel the same :(

Nothing can replace the dense, solid feel of stainless steel and the scratch resistance of glass. Fun fact: the iPhone 6 Plus is the only iPhone that's heavier than the 4S.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
The 4 was my first. I had a Droid before that. Really no comparison between the two. The iPhone 4 was just special. The 5 was better and the 6 is the best, but the 4 will always be most nostalgic to me.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Nostalgic part: the design was also the last to be released under Steve Jobs-era Apple, which I consider to be the last "true" iPhone. Newer generations, although retaining the general design and are excellent devices, just don't feel the same :(

Yes to that. I haven't tried to tally up the posts, but I think the 4/4S are probably leading the pack here. :apple:

pjv1990

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2012
Some pretty interesting responses with a lot of love for the 4/4s which I'll agree with as it was my first iPhone that I took all over the world with me. I personally feel that from a design/aesthetics point of view it really is unchallenged even to this day.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I'd say it would be the 3GS (remarkable performance during its time), 4 (iconic design) and the 5s (the last iPhone-ish looking of all iPhones).

I agree. The iPhone 3Gs was a great phone. It was fast and great to hold. My 4s was pretty damn nice too, but it didn't hold my interest as long as the previous models. Maybe my attention span is just getting shorter.

The 6/6+ designs have deviated so far from the rest of the previous iPhones.

The rounded edges and mostly aluminum back on the 6/6+ really remind me of the original iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.