Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Been out, battery was 100% when left on my iPhone 6, with iOS 8..1.3 on.

It's now 9 hours later and it's at 19%, with the only use messages, is this correct? I've only sent iMessages, probably about 20- surely this isn't correct? Expected better battery life, was worried wouldn't get home without it running out.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013

It's now 9 hours later and it's at 19%, with the only use messages, is this correct? I've only sent iMessages, probably about 20- surely this isn't correct? Expected better battery life, was worried wouldn't get home without it running out.

Post a screen grab of your usage stats.
From what you've said you shouldn't drain a battery to 19% after 9 hours of standby and approx 20 iMessages though.

Woochifer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007

If you're in a weak cellular reception area, you might want to consider switching the cellular antenna off and go wi-fi only. You can still receive iMessages and use wi-fi calling if your carrier supports it. Not unusual for the battery on my phone to drain almost twice as fast if I travel through an area with spotty coverage.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
You can find out ------ Settings --> General --> Usage ---- Battery Usage.

No that's not normal. I have a 6+ and I have 1-2 bars of reception at my apartment. I can have 100% when I go to bed, and wake up with 100% still. After a day of usage I'll have 80%+ left. Yes, I'm a light user.

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
If you're in a weak cellular reception area, you might want to consider switching the cellular antenna off and go wi-fi only. You can still receive iMessages and use wi-fi calling if your carrier supports it. Not unusual for the battery on my phone to drain almost twice as fast if I travel through an area with spotty coverage.

It could be worth a shot but keep in mind that low signal doesn't affect things THAT much. Everyone says if you have 1 or 2 bars that automatically means you will get no longer than like 5 hours of use and you will drain like craxy on standby, making the phone dead halfway through the day without using it. That simply isn't the case.

I get anywhere from -118 to -105db of LTE in my house, I can leave my iPhone 6 at 100% and wake up in the morning with it at 96% at the very lowest, I believe. Haven't left my phone off the charger overnight in awhile. I will tonight (with WiFi off this time) and see how it does. Maybe I will prove myself wrong and look like an idiot, but that's beside the point.

Another story, I had my phone switching between 1 bar of 1x and "No Signal" overnight when I went somewhere, it drained 100%-81% overnight, I believe. (8-9 hours) not from 100%-19% like OP described.

I think OP might have a stuck process, but maybe lots of pictures are being taken on another device with the same iCloud account so photo synchronization is taking battery, maybe messages are being synced from another device as well, that uses battery too. Try backing up the phone and restoring as new for a day and see if it gets better, if it doesn't, simply restore from the backup so you get your stuff back and then from there you can tinker with settings to try and fix the issue.

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
Guys, look at these screenshots. -102 of LTE (pretty bad signal but could be worse) and I let my my phone sit overnight. Pay attention to the clock at the top, the battery percentage, plus the standby/usage times.

100%-19% with little usage in 9 hours is completely insane. Restore your phone and set it up as new right now.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Guys, look at these screenshots. -102 of LTE (pretty bad signal but could be worse) and I let my my phone sit overnight. Pay attention to the clock at the top, the battery percentage, plus the standby/usage times.
100%-19% with little usage in 9 hours is completely insane. Restore your phone and set it up as new right now.

Yep, I'm seeing the exact same thing as you - in my apt I get 1-2 bars and I'll go to sleep and wake up with the same %. Thanks for taking the time to do pics.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008

Problem is we have no idea what the OP's settings are. The phone could be checking for email every 5 minutes. Everything could be running under background refresh. There is just no way to know because the OP has not come back and posted a screenshot. There could be a freak process stuck in the background and all the phone needs is a hard reset.

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
i do believe that everyone's Barry is different. I know my Barry has some issues sometimes and I wonder why. Sometimes I only get 6 hours of usage out of it.

However I've noticed that the Barry on my iPhone 6 has been better then the Barry on my iPhone 5s was

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.