Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kapybarus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 21, 2014
Hi, I read many about many cases when iPhone 6 plus bent just while staying in front pocket.

Is this really issue or just fault of certain users?

Can iPhone bend while in tighter front pocket for example while driving or sitting?

Does original iPhone leather case helps to prevent bending?

LostMyiPhone

macrumors 6502
Dec 19, 2012
Hi, I read many about many cases when iPhone 6 plus bent just while staying in front pocket.

Is this really issue or just fault of certain users?

Can iPhone bend while in tighter front pocket for example while driving or sitting?

Does original iPhone leather case helps to prevent bending?

I don't use a case and I put my 6 in my front pocket. I don't experience any bending problems. I've had to pull it out on occasion after doing something that I *thought* may bend the phone... to find that it's not bent. I'm not saying it's not a thing and that it doesn't happen to some people. I'm only conveying my experience.

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
I never had a phone bend even when they were complaining about my HTC One S.

I think once you get past the Trollers, just realize the phones are getting larger and thinner. How you carried/stored the older ones may not work on the new ones.

That said, I had my iPhone laying on my center console in my SUV and laid my hand on it to lift myself up to adjust my coat. Forgot iPhone was there. I felt the phone and console lid give a little. No damage to iPhone--:apple::apple:

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
I think in extreme circumstances it could bend, like if you took it and purposely tried bending it, but who does that?

The iPhone 6 has been tested extensively and many found that it's quite difficult to bend, nearly impossible. The 6+ was supposedly found to bend easier (because of the size and thinness) however I wouldnt worry! Slap a case on and forget about it. My friend has a 6+ (in a case) and always has in it his back pocket and probably accidentally sits on it from time to time, and his is fine

Last edited:

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Also, I haven't heard much on it lately. Maybe folks have adjusted.

Or maybe Samsung has finally let it go and told it's paid trolls to stop wreaking havoc on the iPhone 6 Plus now that time has passed. Notice how all that was going on right after the 6 Plus was released....which was roughly the same time the Samsung Note 4 was being released? ;)

Had my 6 Plus since day one of release and not even a slight bend and it's in my pocket all day, everyday. Can it be bent? Sure, but so can almost anything made of thin metal, but this situation was blown out of proportion and helped a few YouTubers create click bait on the situation for a big payoff from Google.

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
Samsung doesn't like iPhones and washing machines. ;)

Last edited:

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
My firend bent his 6+ when he ran into a table right at his thigh. Bent pretty good but the chances of that happening are slim.

A case will not do much to prevent bending but the leather case gives a LOT more to hold onto!

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
A case will not do much to prevent bending but the leather case gives a LOT more to hold onto!

It depends on the case. A silicone or TPU case does NOTHING to add stability and rigidness to the phone, silicone and TPU cases simply protect the finish. But, any case that is more rugged, and has a polycarbonate shell and/or multiple layers will most definitely prevent bending in extreme cases, any hard case really, should add some beef to it. I used to use silicone/tpu on my 4S because those were damn near bulletproof with the steel bands (not so much the glass), but now I'm all about something with a hard shell now that it's softer aluminum.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
There are videos on YouTube that show people bending their iPhone 6+ in their hands. It looks like it took a lot of force to get it to bend.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
There are videos on YouTube that show people bending their iPhone 6+ in their hands. It looks like it took a lot of force to get it to bend.

Watching those videos I was thinking a different thing: it looks like it took quite a lot of idiocy to get it to bend.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
OP, Id use common sense. If the phone ia very tight in the front pocket and then you reach down to tie your shoe laces then its possible something bad may occur. The phone is thinner and larger then anything apple has done and its made of aluminum, a soft metal. I'm not saying all the videos on YT are true, all I am saying though is be careful and use common sense.

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
OP, Id use common sense. If the phone ia very tight in the front pocket and then you reach down to tie your shoe laces then its possible something bad may occur. The phone is thinner and larger then anything apple has done and its made of aluminum, a soft metal. I'm not saying all the videos on YT are true, all I am saying though is be careful and use common sense.

Yes, OP, common sense it is. If you haven't heard much about it then chances are it's not happening very happen, like unicorn with a double rainbow background rare.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
There probably most likely is an increased chance that the phone will bend easier than previous models since its much thinner and lighter. But I wouldn't sweat it. Apple know that releasing a phone that simply bends with any excuse would be industry suicide. The bendgate issue, although real, was very overhyped and doesn't occur as easily as people believed.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
There probably most likely is an increased chance that the phone will bend easier than previous models since its much thinner and lighter. But I wouldn't sweat it. Apple know that releasing a phone that simply bends with any excuse would be industry suicide. The bendgate issue, although real, was very overhyped and doesn't occur as easily as people believed.

Bendgate issue doesn't exist.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Bendgate issue doesn't exist.

Just because you say it doesn't exist will make the issue or the concern disappear. This thread is case in point. No matter how much you argue that the youtube videos, news stories, and forum threads are not evidence. People out there are concerned about it. Perception is reality in this case and its quite possible to bend a phone through normal usage.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Just because you say it doesn't exist will make the issue or the concern disappear. This thread is case in point. No matter how much you argue that the youtube videos, news stories, and forum threads are not evidence. People out there are concerned about it. Perception is reality in this case and its quite possible to bend a phone through normal usage.

I didn't say anything about concerns.
I'm concerned too: I know I have a thin device and I'm avoiding sitting on it (while I constantly take it in my front pockets).
Perception has been distorted purposely to try to put the iPhone on a bad light, on YouTube. What we don't know it's just if those actions were sponsored by other vendors or just by the well known crowd of insecure Apple haters the web is full of. But they failed.
And I'm still waiting for someone to demonstrate me he can bend a phone through normal usage.....

So bendgate, a ridiculous term, doesn't exist.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
So bendgate, a ridiculous term, doesn't exist.
Again, just because you say it doesn't exist doesn't make it true

It does, and its a real concern. A quick google, shows a high hit count for that term. So clearly the term does exist.
bendgate.png

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Again, just because you say it doesn't exist doesn't make it true

It does, and its a real concern. A quick google, shows a high hit count for that term. So clearly the term does exist.

On Google you can search for flying pigs and find thousands results: does that make it real ?
According to your logic, Santa Claus is for real: I found much more results...
First of all: bendgate doesn't mean anything, in any language.
Second: it's not a matter of opinions. Those are debatable, mine or your.
The iPhone doesn't have any structural defect, doesn't bends with normal usage, surely doesn't bend by itself.
It's just a thin device.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
You people will turn any thread into an argument.

Enjoy!

Agreed, I made my point, and there's no use in pursuing it further. My original post I believe holds true. If you use common sense and don't put the phone in undo harm, it will be fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.