Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacMan988

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
Hi, I'm trying to implement a method to post to Facebook from a game I'm developing.

I just noticed that some games are posting to the Facebook without requesting for permission. I noticed this with "aa" and "Radical" games. I have attached screenshots of the sharing dialogue.

6jCxrg6Ta.png

2eb6CvWdZ.png

Can someone please tell me how could this be done and any helper libraries that can be useful for this?

Thanks in advance!

Suspended
May 1, 2010
California
Let the downfall begin! I've been on FB pretty much from the start. I stopped adding friends long ago. At this point, FB has become more spam than not. They slammed us with auto-play videos, their search sucks. I've seen all the "I got ____ playing _____"

The more they do this, the more disconnected users become and the more diluted the whole thing becomes. FB built a following by being clean, free, fast and simple. After paying for all those data centers and employees, they now have to find a way to do what the didn't do to get them where they are... that is spam their users.

The app store is the same way, most apps never make the charts or break even while the dig around trying to find another way to get noticed.

I wouldn't be surprised if they are trading or paying FB for access, the more that do this, the less the value.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Seems like there's a couple of things being discussed here. :)

The info/link from Dejo is about games on the FB platform having profile access by simply installing/playing. I'm not surprised things are moving that way, just being on FB is like a global "opt in".

The dialog [above] from the native iOS app is just the standard services controller, and if you've got an auth'ed FB account on the device, you can post to your account.

OP, are you saying there are native iOS apps that have posted directly from the app without any permission? i.e., not popped up an activtyController that required person intervention [?]

Last edited:

kage207

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
That's a share sheet. It doesn't mean the app is accessing your profile. The developers can add Facebook as an option to share out for the user. Doesn't mean the app and Facebook profile are linked.

MacMan988

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
Seems like there's a couple of things being discussed here. :)

The info/link from Dejo is about games on the FB platform having profile access by simply installing/playing. I'm not surprised things are moving that way, just being on FB is like a global "opt in".

The dialog [above] from the native iOS app is just the standard services controller, and if you've got an auth'ed FB account on the device, you can post to your account.

OP, are you saying there are native iOS apps that have posted directly from the app without any permission? i.e., not popped up an activtyController that required person intervention [?]

It presented the dialogue box shown in the screenshot. And I had to tap on post to send the wall post. But the only method I'm aware is to request basic_profile permission and then to request publish_actions permissions to post to the wall.

kage207

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
It presented the dialogue box shown in the screenshot. And I had to tap on post to send the wall post. But the only method I'm aware is to request basic_profile permission and then to request publish_actions permissions to post to the wall.
Look at this: https://developers.facebook.com/docs/ios/ui-controls

Look at section: "Migrating from the iOS 6 Share Sheet to the Share Dialog".

One is a share sheet and one is a direct use of the Facebook app. If the iPhone user is signed into Facebook via the the Settings app, then it is as easy as allowing my app to use Facebook for sharing. I do not need permission from the user as this is the arrangement via Apple and Facebook. The thing is as the developer, I do not get access to information about the user. There's a difference between sharing and allowing an app to access your Facebook information. The later requires user consent.

MacMan988

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
That's a share sheet. It doesn't mean the app is accessing your profile. The developers can add Facebook as an option to share out for the user. Doesn't mean the app and Facebook profile are linked.

Look at this: https://developers.facebook.com/docs/ios/ui-controls

Look at section: "Migrating from the iOS 6 Share Sheet to the Share Dialog".

One is a share sheet and one is a direct use of the Facebook app. If the iPhone user is signed into Facebook via the the Settings app, then it is as easy as allowing my app to use Facebook for sharing. I do not need permission from the user as this is the arrangement via Apple and Facebook. The thing is as the developer, I do not get access to information about the user. There's a difference between sharing and allowing an app to access your Facebook information. The later requires user consent.

Thanks for the reply! I never knew such a thing existed!

kage207

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Thanks for the reply! I never knew such a thing existed!

No problem. I wondered the same thing awhile ago. A really good resource is reading through Apple documentation. I know it's dry and boring but really useful information in there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.