Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ray&Paula

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2015
Hi, Getting ready to pull the trigger on a maxed out new iMac 5K for video editing;
Hardware:
4.0GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 4.4GHz
8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 4x8GB
1TB Flash Drive
AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4GB GDDR5
Apple Magic Mouse
Apple Wireless Keyboard (English) & User's Guide

Storage:
PROMISE Pegasus2 R4 8TB (4 by 2TB) Thunderbolt 2 RAID System
http://store.apple.com/us/product/HE...r4-8tb-4-by-2t...

I'm ordering with only 8GB RAM due to upgrading to 32GB. I will be selling the 8GB and replacing all with new (4x8GB) RAM.
I'd like to know what recommendations you may have that's been working flawlessly for you on the new iMac 5K retina? I've been looking at the Crucial, OWC and Kingston. I was set on purchasing Crucial, but I've been reading about some people having issues with it. The following thread is one case in point; https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1822510/
Thanks in advance for your help. Ray :rolleyes:

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Get 2x8 GB to add to the 2x4 GB and make 24 GB, I doubt you'll notice any difference.

As for the poster on that thread, they must have received defective RAM. I haven't had any such problem with my Crucial RAM upgrade, you'll likely be fine.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
Mighty nice setup! :)

Defective RAM is rare, buy whatever is cheapest.

I can confirm what redheeler posted. A RAM upgrade will likely not make any difference.

Ray&Paula

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2015
Thanks for the replies...... I'm purchasing the iMac 5K mainly for 1080 and 4k video editing. It seems to me that RAM issues would be a major problem throughout your loaded software, not just to something specific. More than likely most complaints are due to defective RAM right from the factory. I've always felt that RAM is RAM...... but maybe there are better manufacturers than others. I want to get it right the first time if possible. I don't understand why Apple wants the $$ for RAM as they do. In a word "Ridicules" Thanks again, Ray

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
I've always felt that RAM is RAM.
And your feeling is right.

----------

I don't understand why Apple wants the $$ for RAM as they do.
Because they are capitalizing on the fact that people don't know about how much memory they actually need.
With 4k video it is possible that you will profit from more RAM, but since you can always upgrade later I strongly suggest you see how 8 week for you.
Come back to this forum and tell how it went. I'll bet you'll be surprised ;)

If for some reason you need more, just order any old RAM that fits.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Thanks for the replies...... I'm purchasing the iMac 5K mainly for 1080 and 4k video editing. It seems to me that RAM issues would be a major problem throughout your loaded software, not just to something specific. More than likely most complaints are due to defective RAM right from the factory. I've always felt that RAM is RAM...... but maybe there are better manufacturers than others. I want to get it right the first time if possible. I don't understand why Apple wants the $$ for RAM as they do. In a word "Ridicules" Thanks again, Ray
If you are editing 4K video, having the extra RAM helps. Might as well give yourself some breathing room. I tried 4K editing with 8GB when I first got the 5K iMac and it worked but after I jumped to 24GB I noticed an improvement.

Crucial RAM has been working well in my 5K iMac. To be fair however, I did need to exchange the first set of Crucial RAM sticks because they were causing me Kernel panics.

Personally I have not seen a wake from sleep crash.

Ray&Paula

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2015
Good to know about the Crucial issues that some are having along with good experiences. In my research (below) OWC is about $100.00 more than the Crucial. Why that much more does intrigue me...... but then again, look at Apple. With that being said, as we all know, someone somewhere will have a problem with any manufacturer. It's the real world user's (you) that I will pay attention to. I sincerely appreciate your input and please, keep chiming in. Ray

Crucial $263.98 32gb ($336.02 savings over Apples $600.00)
http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/imac-4...4)/CT6312882

OWC $364.99 32gb ($235.01 savings over Apples $600.00)
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other.../1600DDR3S32S/

N2bnfunn

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2011
You have the same setup as I have beside the PROMISE Pegasus2 R4 8TB (4 by 2TB) Thunderbolt 2 RAID System, I did the same thing and ordered mine with 8 gigs and updated it to 32 from Amazon and it works fine.

P.s on a side note anyone need 16 gigs of ram for a 5k Retina pm me, and I will give you a good price.

Ray&Paula

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2015
Awesome..... Can't wait to get mine...... I'm very close to the edge LOL :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.