Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sickly Grin

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
Greetings everyone,

I've narrowed down my choice for an iPhone 6 case to these two cases, and I wanted an opinion.

Personally, I'm more inclined towards the Ultra Hybrid Bumper, as I prefer showing the back of the iPhone through the transparent plastic, plus it loos really nice overall. However, my only gripe with it is that the side buttons are not protruding enough and they might be difficult to find/push. The Capsule case instead has protruding buttons, so that's a plus.

Does anyone have any experience with these two cases? Any suggestions and tips would be very welcome.

Capsule
615oExq0rYL._SL1000_.jpg

Ultra Hybrid Bumper
31nPhghB-ZL.jpg

saphir

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2014
I have the bumper - I bought it as my first case to have when I first got my 6. It looks awesome on the phone, but I found it to be extremely slippery. And like you mentioned, the buttons were hard to find since they don't protrude, so I kept changing the volume when trying to feel for the power button on the other side.

Sickly Grin

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
I have the bumper - I bought it as my first case to have when I first got my 6. It looks awesome on the phone, but I found it to be extremely slippery. And like you mentioned, the buttons were hard to find since they don't protrude, so I kept changing the volume when trying to feel for the power button on the other side.

Yes, I was fearing that. Guess I'll go with the Capsule. Thanks for the reply.

jwjsr

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2012
Fairhope, Alabama
I have the ultra hybrid, it is the perfect thickness, I don't find it slippery at all, finding the buttons is the only flaw, but i rarely use those buttons anyway.

phillyi

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2011
I have the ultra hybrid on my 6. Its my favorite case ive had so far...looks great, not bulky.

I agree with jwjsr in that i dont feel that its slippery. The fact that buttons dont protrude is a minor annoyance imo but i find them relatively easy to find/press without having to look as you get used to it.

arcturuz

macrumors regular
May 15, 2008
Just bought clear capsule recently. Didn't opt for the hybrid as I already have the ringke fusion.

Really like the capsule a lot. It feels great and grippy and slimmer than the ringke fusion. Although the fit is not tight, it stills feels secure and very easy to remove and put back.

Sickly Grin

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
Thank you all for the feedback. I think I might go for the Capsule at this point, since I use the side buttons very often. Plus it does look very nice and stylish, too.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
I had both, returned the Capsule, still have the Ultra Hybrid, but don't usually use that either.

Ultra Hybrid thoughts...
- the TPU is very grippy to the skin, as is the glossy clear back. I find grip to be excellent with this case. I suppose the only way you could consider this slippery is if you have VERY dry skin.
- I don't like the flush-to-the-body buttons. They ARE hard to find in the dark, in your pocket, or whatever. Makes for a slick look, but functionally it's lousy.
- The edge/seam where the Polycarbonate meets the TPU is a little "sharp". It's not a manufacturing flaw, it's just the design of the case. The Luvvitt Clearview, which is the same materials, has a really smooth transition between the Polycarb and TPU, so I'm not sure why they did this.
- fit is great.

Capsule thoughts...
- Again, extremely grippy as glossy TPU naturally is
- Glossy TPU "sticks" to the back of the phone creating those watermark blobs on the back of the phone. I hate that.
- the buttons on mine were ever-so-slightly off. It made pressing the buttons a little strange feeling sometimes.
- very, very minimal front lip, and the case came off way too easily.
I returned the Capsule right away after trying it out. It honestly felt barely a step above a $2.99 eBay case.

testcard

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
Northumbria, UK
I bought the Spigen Capsule for my iPhone 6 - same as the one in the illustration. No complaints after several months of usage. Grippy, but doesn't attract lint. The lip provides adequate screen protection, and overall the case protects my phone without adding bulk. I'd recomend it based on my experience.

Sickly Grin

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
So, I decided to go with the Capsule. Got it yesterday. Feels slick and grippy in the hand, perfect thinness, and the side buttons work like a charm. My only "complaint" would be that the edges sometimes feel like are going to come off, but I don't think that's going to be a problem for me anyway. Overall seems like a good purchase so far.

tops2

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2014
So, I decided to go with the Capsule. Got it yesterday. Feels slick and grippy in the hand, perfect thinness, and the side buttons work like a charm. My only "complaint" would be that the edges sometimes feel like are going to come off, but I don't think that's going to be a problem for me anyway. Overall seems like a good purchase so far.

One of my coworker also has the clear Capsule. It's yellowed really quickly...but like you said, it still has a good grip. Everything is as you expected.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.