Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

manishans

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 5, 2013
Hi All!

Can someone tell if the tempered glass protectors available for iphone 6 covers the entire glass including the side edges or only the flat area?

In the 5S, it would cover the whole area but in 6?

Thanks.

If someone has a tempered glass fixed already, appreciate if you can post a pic.

Thanks.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Due to the curved screen edges on the iPhone 6, no screen protectors from reputable manufacturers completely cover the screen. Some poor covers do but they will start peeling up and collecting dust rrrrreal soon. It's a poor design choice by Apple for those of us who use screen protectors.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Hi All!

Can someone tell if the tempered glass protectors available for iphone 6 covers the entire glass including the side edges or only the flat area?

In the 5S, it would cover the whole area but in 6?

Thanks.

If someone has a tempered glass fixed already, appreciate if you can post a pic.

Thanks.
Mine doesn't

----------

Due to the curved screen edges on the iPhone 6, no screen protectors from reputable manufacturers completely cover the screen. Some poor covers do but they will start peeling up and collecting dust rrrrreal soon. It's a poor design choice by Apple for those of us whfo use screen protectors.

Now a curved screen is a poor design ?????
Because of the screen protector ???

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Mine doesn't

----------

It's a poor design choice for those of us who use screen protectors, yes. It isn't designed with the perfect fitting of a screen protector in mind. Considering that a lot of people use one (I'm not saying most, just a lot), the design can be considered impractical.

manishans

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 5, 2013
It's a poor design choice for those of us who use screen protectors, yes. It isn't designed with the perfect fitting of a screen protector in mind. Considering that a lot of people use one (I'm not saying most, just a lot), the design can be considered impractical.

Mine doesn't

----------

Mine does not.

Due to the curved screen edges on the iPhone 6, no screen protectors from reputable manufacturers completely cover the screen. Some poor covers do but they will start peeling up and collecting dust rrrrreal soon. It's a poor design choice by Apple for those of us who use screen protectors.

Thanks for your feedback guys! I agree that if it was flat, it would have been better for those who apply screen protectors.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States

You do realize that screen protectors are not required on the phones. I've never used them anyway so why should Apple design the iPhone with screen protectors in mind? :rolleyes:
There's no stopping your trashing of the iPhone 6 Plus huh?

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
I suppose a screen protector that goes edge to edge is really only useful for those who dont use a case. My case has a screen protector built in so I didn't have to apply one yet on my 6, my roommates 6 has a Zagg on his front, and it leaves space around the edges for cases. You should only need an edge to edge protector if you have it naked or have a case with no lip around the front front display. I always go with a case that has a lip, that iPhone gets dropped and hits one of those corners without some sort of protection, bye bye screen.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
You do realize that screen protectors are not required on the phones. I've never used them anyway so why should Apple design the iPhone with screen protectors in mind? :rolleyes:
There's no stopping your trashing of the iPhone 6 Plus huh?

I'm well aware that a ton of people don't use them. Plenty do though, and Apple are well aware of that. Should they design a phone with a screen protector in mind? That's up for debate. I notice that plenty of smartphones these days have curved edges, it seems to be a design trend. All I know is that this is the first phone I've owned where the screen protector is visible because it's set so far in. I also catch the edges when swiping screens.

Your comment that screen protectors aren't required is highly subjective. The coating on the screen scratches fairly easily and it's only glass underneath, not sapphire. Minute particles of grit on fingertips can scratch the screen so I prefer to be cautious and use a screen protector. Maybe in the future we won't need them but as of early 2015 I'm firmly in the screen protector camp.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
I'm well aware that a ton of people don't use them. Plenty do though, and Apple are well aware of that. Should they design a phone with a screen protector in mind? That's up for debate. I notice that plenty of smartphones these days have curved edges, it seems to be a design trend. All I know is that this is the first phone I've owned where the screen protector is visible because it's set so far in. I also catch the edges when swiping screens.

Your comment that screen protectors aren't required is highly subjective. The coating on the screen scratches fairly easily and it's only glass underneath, not sapphire. Minute particles of grit on fingertips can scratch the screen so I prefer to be cautious and use a screen protector. Maybe in the future we won't need them but as of early 2015 I'm firmly in the screen protector camp.

Up for debate??? Can't be serious... :rolleyes:
Apple should change their design to please screen protector users... Lol.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Up for debate??? Can't be serious... :rolleyes:
Apple should change their design to please screen protector users... Lol.

I never said that. I merely stated that Apple are aware that lots of iPhone owners use screen protectors. They sell them in their Apple stores.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
It's obvious..... but I can't say without risking a ban

Be my guest. ☺️
Anyway, I'm not Apple bashing. I wouldn't get very far applying a screen protector to a Galaxy Note Edge, or the new S6 either. I do prefer completely flat screens where a screen protector can be applied edge to edge. Just a preference and there's no need to take personal offence to every single comment I post.

iApple_man

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2015
Midwest
I use screen protectors and I was surprised to see that the ones for the 6 don't cover edge to the edge. I'm sure they can make case friendly versions later on. I do like how they are now, but I would like to have seen the lines on the edges of the current protectors be invisible or something because it can make the phone look tacky with certain cases on.

I just switched to Apple with the 6, but I saw many co-workers 5s phones with screen protectors covering the whole glass while being case friendly. Like you said it could just be the design.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States

It's never gonna be a debate. You're the only one that's complaining. You got it so backwards it's sad to say the least. It's up to the developer of those screen protectors to design their product to work with Apple's phones if they want to sell their product, PERIOD. Apple doesn't need to design their phones to conform with any 3rd party products, specially ones that are in low demand. You've got it backwards, Apple sells millions of iPhones. They don't need 3rd party screen protector companies to help keep them in business, the 3rd party screen protector companies NEED Apple. Absolutely absurd post from you, seriously. :rolleyes:

Read my lips, "Screen Protectors are not Required". That's YOUR problem if you need them. Maybe you should take better care of your phone...OH there goes your ridiculous argument. :D

Ta0jin

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2011
Maryland
Man I swear some of ya'll need to chill. It's not a poor design choice as far as the aesthetics of the phone but it's not very accommodating as far as screen protection.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Man I swear some of ya'll need to chill. It's not a poor design choice as far as the aesthetics of the phone but it's not very accommodating as far as screen protection.

Apple, like other manufacturer, doesn't design smartphones with screen protectors or cases in mind. That's a very stupid idea.
IPhone's display is made of gorilla glass and has an oleophobic layer... In their mind there's no screen protector needed.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
It's never gonna be a debate. You're the only one that's complaining. You got it so backwards it's sad to say the least. It's up to the developer of those screen protectors to design their product to work with Apple's phones if they want to sell their product, PERIOD. Apple doesn't need to design their phones to conform with any 3rd party products, specially ones that are in low demand. You've got it backwards, Apple sells millions of iPhones. They don't need 3rd party screen protector companies to help keep them in business, the 3rd party screen protector companies NEED Apple. Absolutely absurd post from you, seriously. :rolleyes:

Read my lips, "Screen Protectors are not Required". That's YOUR problem if you need them. Maybe you should take better care of your phone...OH there goes your ridiculous argument. :D

A heck of a lot of consumers who purchase the iPhone off Apple want to fit a screen protector, so it isn't the third party accessory manufacturers who Apple don't need to care about. Stop trying to make out that nobody wants a screen protector, nobody needs a screen protector and Apple know best at all times. I've said nothing outrageous by wanting my screen protector to fit the whole of my screen. It seems to be a consideration not given by many manufacturers at the moment and until they can supply a phone with a genuinely scratchproof display, then IMO they should pander to the screen protector crowd. Considering that most people think the 5S is a nicer looking phone than the i6, you can't even argue that curved screens bring anything 'better' to the table. They just create an annoyance when it comes to screen protectors. Your mileage obviously varies, so don't worry about it.

----------

Apple, like other manufacturer, doesn't design smartphones with screen protectors or cases in mind. That's a very stupid idea.
IPhone's display is made of gorilla glass and has an oleophobic layer... In their mind there's no screen protector needed.

Who cares what's in their mind? They think that 1GB of RAM and a buggy o/s is fine. Many of us use screen protectors. Live and let live.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
A heck of a lot of consumers who purchase the iPhone off Apple want to fit a screen protector, so it isn't the third party accessory manufacturers who Apple don't need to care about. Stop trying to make out that nobody wants a screen protector, nobody needs a screen protector and Apple know best at all times. I've said nothing outrageous by wanting my screen protector to fit the whole of my screen. It seems to be a consideration not given by many manufacturers at the moment and until they can supply a phone with a genuinely scratchproof display, then IMO they should pander to the screen protector crowd. Considering that most people think the 5S is a nicer looking phone than the i6, you can't even argue that curved screens bring anything 'better' to the table. They just create an annoyance when it comes to screen protectors. Your mileage obviously varies, so don't worry about it.

----------

Who cares what's in their mind? They think that 1GB of RAM and a buggy o/s is fine. Many of us use screen protectors. Live and let live.

Again and again and again.... RAM in a thread speaking about screen protectors.
As I said, your motivations are quite clear to me (and not only me).
Enough for me.
I can't suggest you anything better than sell your iPhone and buy something else. You have plenty of choices and you'll be happy ....

Ta0jin

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2011
Maryland

At no point did I say they did. What I'm saying is people need to relax cause someone believes that the curve of the screen is a bad design choice! Do I know what Apple is thinking? No. Do I care? No. But why do we have to gang up on someone cause they do? That's how he feels ok cool.

----------

That's a very stupid idea.

It's his idea, why does it have to be stupid? just cause you or I may not like it doesn't mean we have to start bashing him. What you are saying is true, they more than likely don't take screen protectors into mind when designing these devices.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I have a non glass screen protector on my 6+. I have always liked using them because they resist fingerprints and make wiping the screen off much easier.

The olephobic coating that Apple uses eventually wears off and the screen becomes a huge oily mess.

I ordered my screen protector from Apple at the same time I ordered my Leather case.

I have read where people have shattered their glass screen protectors. I don't even want to waste my time or money on those when the films work perfectly and resist oil. If my protector gets a scratch which has happened, I just peel it off and out a new one on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.