Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2007
Please can someone suggest some good hardware for transferring old family videos from VHS to my MacBook? I have tried using a Pinnacle Video Transfer unit and I was disappointed with the results.

wwchris

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2009
Atlanta, GA
Elgato

http://www.amazon.com/Elgato-100208...25130519&sr=8-1&keywords=elgato+video+capture

I used this and it worked great. I bought some cheaper ones before and had terrible luck. The software on this one is simple and intuitive. It also lets you trim the beginnings and ends before saving, so you can let the whole tape run and then easily delete the static from the ends and beginnings of the video before saving. You can see by the Amazon review people like it :)

robf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2007
Thanks all.

I have read the Elgato is good but I'm from the UK and we use a different FPS apparently?

Unami

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
Austria
both, the elgato and the blackmagic support 25fps/PAL.

you might want to deinterlace the videos after capturing.

Last edited:

JustinePaula

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012
Find a cheap as chips mini dv camera on gumtree.co.uk or ebay uk, that has analogue in and fire wire out. If you have a more recent mac, then you might need a thunderbolt to firewire adapter.

That is what I use and it is great, if it is important, then I capture onto mini-dv tape first, then later onto my macbook pro to edit, mini-dv tape is so cheap and stable in the long term, and if you look after the camera, it should be useful in years to come, hard drives will crash, good bye material...

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.