Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cperri01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
Hello there,

I have install a mac mini with OS X 10.10.2 Yosemite to use as a server to share documents for my small business (4 peoples all working with mac)

I've set up 4 users and one group with the correct permissions to the share folder with full read & write permissions. For all the files already on the server there is no problem, and it works almost smoothly (there is still some issues with moving folders around but I can live with it).

The biggest problem is when one user create or modify a file on its own computer, the default permissions are set to read&write for the owner and read only for the others (which I guess is normal on your own computer).

Unfortunately, when the file is uploaded to the server it does not inherit the parent directory's permission and only the owner have access which is obviously not convenient for file sharing.......

The only workaround I found so far is to change periodically the permissions on the server but it's not very handy (I'm still trying with a folder action script to do it automatically but haven't figure out yet).

I'm quit newbie with mac so maybe there a "simple" workaround but I've spend half of the day on the web and all the solutions I've found doesn't apply to Yosemite.

Thanks for any help
Cédric

cperri01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
Thanks for the answer.

I like the this solution
Alternately you can set each user's machine (or specific applications) to create files with group-read (or read/write) permissions, so that no matter where they are saved they will be group-accessible.

How can you change the default permissions on each computer ?

I've tried this solution http://www.macissues.com/2014/04/13/understanding-and-adjusting-default-permissions-in-os-x/

You will need to create and edit this file yourself for user-specific launchd configurations, so open the Terminal and run the following command:
"sudo pico /etc/launchd-user.conf"
type in the command “umask” followed by the desired filter setting on a single line.
"umask 007" — This allows the default user and group full access
When finished, press Control-O to save the file, followed by Control-X to exit the editor. Now simply log out of your account and back in, and the launchd configuration will incorporate the new umask settings.

The.conf is created at the right place with the correct command line, but it still doesn't work, the umask for the newly created files is still 022.

Any Idea?

Last edited:

cperri01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
That person was told to try ACLs and the couldn't understand them (they DO work). Did you try ACLs?.ACLs will probably still be your best way.

Unfortunately, I'm like the other guy, I'm not familiar with ACLs so I don't know how to try :) but I'll have a closer look.

I've tried the solution sudo chmod command I found on the web but didn't work (changing of course the group name with the correct name)
sudo chmod -R +a "accountinggroup allow delete,chown,list,search,add_file,add_subdirectory,delete_child,file_inherit,directory_inherit".

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.