Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

APPLEFUNRF

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 30, 2013
Washington DC
Hello macrumors users.

I have Iphone 6, which I purchased personally on launch day in September in the USA in the Apple Store !

I noted that battery draining, about 5-6% per hour with no reason.
Never problem with phone, till yesterday.
By good fortune right now Im in US.

So I made an appointment and went to the Apple Store.

They took phone for diagnostic (damage/water/third party modifications etc.) Asked me to wait about 2 hours, I decided ti come back in the evening.

When I got to the Apple Store and asked for my phone - I was just shocked !

They gave me my phone and letter

Dear Apple customer,

We are unable to provide service due to unauthorized modifications to your iPhone. Apple excludes coverage for unauthorized modifications under its limited warranty and AppleCare Protection Plan. Therefore your iPhone is ineligible for service.

Sincerely,
Apple Inc.

Shocked cuz never repair the phone, never problem with the phone.

I asked for manager, and he just repeated - is ineligible for service, call to Apple to Cupertino.

I see 3 reasons:
1) They are just trying to make me fool
2) Guy one of the Genius is not professional (!!!SAME guy gave same letter for 2 claims!!!) the day before friend of mine came to the same Apple Store to same Genius with the same problem, and of course his phone have never been modified by 3d party.
3) They did a mistake !

What should I do when I know all story of my phone and personally purchase it ((( ???
Thanks

Very disappointed how treated with me (( Disappointed with lie and non professional diagnostics.

PS All I have to say: I dropped once phone, easily, from height about 1.3 feet = 40 sm, almost nothing on the phone, just little scratch, after this accident phone worked over 3 month, it couldn't affect to

We are unable to provide service due to unauthorized modifications to your iPhone

Last edited:

APPLEFUNRF

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 30, 2013
Washington DC
I've contacted to the Senior Adviser at the Cupertino, CA, they are going to reinspected, what do you think will I have success ?

----------

They can't explain in detail what exactly unauthorized modification has been done.
This is very poor customer service.

lakaiordie

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2008
are you sure you've never taken the phone anywhere? i was a technician at the genius bar and there are procedures to go through before we give you that letter saying its ineligible for service.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I see 3 reasons:
1) They are just trying to make me fool
2) Guy one of the Genius is not professional (!!!SAME guy gave same letter for 2 claims!!!) the day before friend of mine came to the same Apple Store to same Genius with the same problem, and of course his phone have never been modified by 3d party.
3) They did a mistake !
Reason #1 and #2 makes no sense to me. They know a customer getting this letter is likely to complain, which will bring their actions under scrutiny. IMO, they have nothing to gain and everything to lose by doing this only to make you look like a fool.

Reason #3 is always possible. Apple hasn't perfected a way of hiring employees who never make mistakes.

I'm curious to see what a further examination of your phone shows.

APPLEFUNRF

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 30, 2013
Washington DC
Reason #1 and #2 makes no sense to me. They know a customer getting this letter is likely to complain, which will bring their actions under scrutiny. IMO, they have nothing to gain and everything to lose by doing this only to make you look like a fool.

Reason #3 is always possible. Apple hasn't perfected a way of hiring employees who never make mistakes.

I'm curious to see what a further examination of your phone shows.

Ill let you know.

----------

are you sure you've never taken the phone anywhere?

Absolutely !

i was a technician at the genius bar and there are procedures to go through before we give you that letter saying its ineligible for service.

Oh, nice. I believe they are professional, but something went wrong.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
It's never easy replying to posts like yours.

Theirs your side of the story and events and then theirs Apples stance.

We can only but be in the middle and assume what may have occurred and what we as fellow customers would do if this was our own situation.

Would you update your thread on what happens please.

Good luck.

sanke1

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2010
You need to know exactly what modifications they think you made to your phone.

APPLEFUNRF

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 30, 2013
Washington DC
Oh my ! I went to the store again, they have reinspect phone again, only because appointment made by Senior Adviser.

In 2 hours they just confirmed that it is some unauthorized modification, but what exactly they did not tell.

They just gave me second letter with wrong date on it, 2 times wrong date, no IMEI on it. Date is 28 March 2013.

Dear Apple customer,

We are unable to provide service due to unauthorized modifications to your iPhone. Apple excludes coverage for unauthorized modifications under its limited warranty and AppleCare Protection Plan. Therefore your iPhone is ineligible for service.

Sincerely,
Apple Inc.

I just gave up, but friend of mine who's english is native tried to call them again, so another Senior Adviser sad that it is something in the phone, what exactly they can not tell you, cuz it is policy.
But Senior Adviser going to escalate process, may be it is some factory defects.
Senior Adviser asked to send him receipt, i did it once he asked.
Now I can only wait.
Sad story, that phone has never been opened or tampered with or worked on.

I spent over 27 000 USD for Apple products in 2014, sad.
Yesterday I just bought another Iphone for almost 900 $
This is one i still keep.

----------

You need to know exactly what modifications they think you made to your phone.

They do not want to say, referring to the policy (for nobody repeat, and avoid this in modification)

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Neve ever jail broken!
That phone has never been opened or tampered with or worked on

You do know that the iPhone doesn't have to be opened to be jailbroken? That is, it's not a mechanical procedure.

To paraphrase what they say at the airport: "Has the iPhone been in your possession at all times?" Not counting the Apple store.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Ultimately, it's not in Apple's interest to deny service - and they only do it as a last resort.

I know you want us to say "it'll be okay", but ultimately, they've inspected it twice, and have twice found some modification/unauthorised repair.

There are fairly obvious signs, when you're used to working on phones, that it's been opened.

APPLEFUNRF

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 30, 2013
Washington DC
Ultimately, it's not in Apple's interest to deny service - and they only do it as a last resort.

I know you want us to say "it'll be okay", but ultimately, they've inspected it twice, and have twice found some modification/unauthorised repair.

There are fairly obvious signs, when you're used to working on phones, that it's been opened.

Never ever !

----------

May be factory defect

Last edited by a moderator:

got556

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2013
Indiana
Are you a consulate to a country outside of the USA? Is this a government phone? Could this phone have had tracking or an extra gps chip of some sort placed in the phone by another country/government?

It's not outside the realm that this would happen, being from another country, and working in DC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.