Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

radiohead314

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2015
Hi I fell on my Macbook pro early 2011 and the screen broke. The backlight was still working but the frontglass and the lcd where broken.

Now I bought a used screen that turned out to be from a 2010 Macbook pro. There was one wifi connector less than my model but still wifi works well.

However the backlight does not come up. The lcd works as I can see with a lamp behind the screen.

My question is where to look for. Was the backlight broken in the first place or is there some incompatibility with my model and the 2010 model?

Should I check for the fuse on the logic board?

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
Hi I fell on my Macbook pro early 2011 and the screen broke. The backlight was still working but the frontglass and the lcd where broken.

Now I bought a used screen that turned out to be from a 2010 Macbook pro. There was one wifi connector less than my model but still wifi works well.

However the backlight does not come up. The lcd works as I can see with a lamp behind the screen.

My question is where to look for. Was the backlight broken in the first place or is there some incompatibility with my model and the 2010 model?

Should I check for the fuse on the logic board?

Check the the sites that sell this stuff. If they use different part numbers for the 2010 and 2011 then it's probably a compatibility issue. If it's the same then it might have been faulty when you got it or you mucked up the installation.

radiohead314

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2015
Check the the sites that sell this stuff. If they use different part numbers for the 2010 and 2011 then it's probably a compatibility issue. If it's the same then it might have been faulty when you got it or you mucked up the installation.

They use the same part number for the lcd panel but different for the complete screen. When I checked with ifixit after receiving the screen it turn out the number of wifi antenna's is different. But I thought that would not matter much and indeed wifi works fine with one antenna less.

But than I conclude that likely the backlight was broken for this new screen. When I looked at the original screen I found no parts that could be replaced. It seemed the electronics was not detachable from the lcd. Also the backlight leds where not easy to take apart.

I guess I have to get another lcd part with good backlight. I hoped there was a fuse somewhere on the lcd but I guess not? The electronics must have fried or I might check for a cable broken as a last resort. Do not think I can get the leds out :(

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.