Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skaeight

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2009
I have never purchased any of the Canon EF-S lenses for my ASP-C. What I do is to buy Canon EF lenses, as well as some from Sigma and Tokina.

That said, if you had to Canon L lenses, these would be perfect for using with and adapter on the Sony cameras.

I don't think that 3rd party lenses will have image stabilization though with anything but the A7II (which has in body OSS).

Re: fuji - I've heard very mixed things. Some people absolutely love them and I was very intrigued when I was buying my camera, but I decided against it for several reasons:
- Cost - both of the bodies and of the lenses. Sony is actually a fantastic value on the bodies and the lenses are pretty much $100 less across the line.
- Autofocus is supposed to be very slow and bad on Fujis
- Video is not supposed to be very good on fujis
- The ergonomics of the camera are not good - they look great, but from what I saw you basically have to add a grip to make it something you can comfortably hold on to. All of the sony camera have a nice fat grip built in.
- RAW processing from the X-Trans chip is hit or miss. LR is supposed to do a very poor job. Unless you're looking to use the jpgs it puts out (which are pretty much the primary appeal of the camera) I've read it's difficult to get consistent results out of the fuji RAWs. Irident is supposed to the be best though.

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Some Canon L lenses can work their image stabilisation on the Metabones adapter but I tried it and it is dreadfully slow.

Having said that, the thing I love with my Sony is I am now exploring a whole new world of glass that I didn't know was out there when I was shooting Canon.

The Sony FE lenses are fantastic don't get me wrong but having the ability to put almost any lens on the front is brilliant.

I have gone through Canon FD, M42 Zeiss's, leica, Vivitars... Lenses with character. I am really enjoy it. I will fess up now. I have a 35mm Summilux Asph. Strapped on the front right now and it has not come off in over a month!

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 19, 2011
The newer model (A6100 or A7000 or who knows) should be announced the last week of March or first week of April. It's an almost for-certain thing.

Gosh. I wasn't aware of how close the next version might be, I thought we were talking months. Maybe it would be worth while just hanging on a while to see what the new camera offers. Whatever it is, it's gonna be more expensive. But I guess that means I might be able to bag an even better deal on the A6000. Hmm, decisions, decisions. To buy now or not to buy now?

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Gosh. I wasn't aware of how close the next version might be, I thought we were talking months. Maybe it would be worth while just hanging on a while to see what the new camera offers. Whatever it is, it's gonna be more expensive. But I guess that means I might be able to bag an even better deal on the A6000. Hmm, decisions, decisions. To buy now or not to buy now?

There is always going to be a more feature rich (notice I didnt say better) camera around the corner.

Think whether the camera is right for you and the price is acceptable. Think about whether an extra £50 off it is significant enough for you to wait and then decide.

Personally, if I am getting a good deal, I would buy it and enjoy it and stop looking at camera prices for a while, then accept that it will be cheaper when you next look. A7 for example, I paid £1400 for it over a year ago. It is now £945 on Amazon. Amazing camera but lost £455 in a year. flip side, I have been making great strides with my photography and enjoying the camera every day since buying it so I do not feel like I have missed a deal.

Waffly answer to kind of say, just relax, decide if that is the right price for you and then go for it! get it, and focus on enjoying it but more importantly, get some posts up in here!

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 19, 2011
There is always going to be a more feature rich (notice I didnt say better) camera around the corner.

Think whether the camera is right for you and the price is acceptable. Think about whether an extra £50 off it is significant enough for you to wait and then decide.

Personally, if I am getting a good deal, I would buy it and enjoy it and stop looking at camera prices for a while, then accept that it will be cheaper when you next look. A7 for example, I paid £1400 for it over a year ago. It is now £945 on Amazon. Amazing camera but lost £455 in a year. flip side, I have been making great strides with my photography and enjoying the camera every day since buying it so I do not feel like I have missed a deal.

Waffly answer to kind of say, just relax, decide if that is the right price for you and then go for it! get it, and focus on enjoying it but more importantly, get some posts up in here!

Haha, I guess you're perfectly right. I'll have a little further look into it and then drop the cash I think. I added my Flickr link to my signature the other day, so you're welcome to check out some of work that way. I just don't tend to participate in the photo contents here on MacRumors. :)

Edit: It's interesting that you mentioned the Sony A7, cause I've heard it mentioned a bunch but never looked into it. It doesn't seem to be any larger than the A6000 and the image resolution/full frame sensor would be a great thing to have. At only £999.99 on Amazon UK for the kit, it seems like quite the deal. Now I have more decisions to make! I DID say I really shouldn't spend £1000 on a new camera...but, now I'm not so sure. Damn it!

Last edited:

paolo-

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2008
I don't think that 3rd party lenses will have image stabilization though with anything but the A7II (which has in body OSS).

Re: fuji - I've heard very mixed things. Some people absolutely love them and I was very intrigued when I was buying my camera, but I decided against it for several reasons:
- Cost - both of the bodies and of the lenses. Sony is actually a fantastic value on the bodies and the lenses are pretty much $100 less across the line.
- Autofocus is supposed to be very slow and bad on Fujis
- Video is not supposed to be very good on fujis
- The ergonomics of the camera are not good - they look great, but from what I saw you basically have to add a grip to make it something you can comfortably hold on to. All of the sony camera have a nice fat grip built in.
- RAW processing from the X-Trans chip is hit or miss. LR is supposed to do a very poor job. Unless you're looking to use the jpgs it puts out (which are pretty much the primary appeal of the camera) I've read it's difficult to get consistent results out of the fuji RAWs. Irident is supposed to the be best though.

IS will work well, autofocus with EF lenses does work but it's unusably slow.

From my personal experience with Fuji, it's a nice camera if you're a methodical shooter. If you're used to shooting sports and events in a hurry with something like a 1DX, it's not the camera for you. On the x-e2 the autofocus is fine in good light. In very low light it hunts, keep in mind I've only used it with a f/1.4 lens, it starts slowing down at ISO>1600 . I believe the x-t1 is much better in that respect but the a6000 is much faster though apparently not always perfectly accurate. I have large hands and I find the grip is ok - the hand on the lens does most of the holding and it's such a light camera that it's not straining. I just dislike the shutter speed dial, you have to change your grip and need to fingers to spin it as it's quite stiff. Though in aperture priority where you typically need to work fast, it's fine. The aperture setting on the lens is nice, the exposure comp is well placed for the thumb and ISO is easy to change if you remap the wifi button to ISO. - This is obviously a very personal thing

Yes I have to agree with you that Sony has better value on the bodies. I wouldn't say Fuji is overly expensive as it's priced decently when compared to other manufacturers. It's just Sony that's selling the a6000 at a sweet price. That 16MPx sensor might be getting a bit old but the lack of AA filter helps it out a bit. The lenses are expensive but are great. It's not as affordable as the basic Sony lenses which seem to be solid performers but I'd rate them above the Zeiss lenses that are in the same price range.

Lightroom has gotten better at processing the RAW files, it now even supports the image profiles/film simulations on the camera. However, Lightroom/Adobe ACR is still the worst raw processor for Fuji files and lacks detail.

It's a quirky camera system. If you're a methodical shooter who just wants to own a few high quality lenses in a small package, it's a serious contender. However, I think Sony has a better all around product.

As for a possible a6000 replacement. I'm waiting this one out. Sony seems to release these cameras on a yearly basis and there have been a few rumours hinting to a release. While the "don't overthink it" moto is typically good when it comes to buying electronics as there is always something new around the corner, I find you can play the market a bit if you're not in a hurry to upgrade. IE I don't mind waiting a few weeks to see what comes up. If the replacement is similarly price and has some nice features like 4K I'll get it. Otherwise, the a6000 will be marked off. And if nothing comes up I still have a very serviceable camera and am not in a hurry.

skaeight

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2009
So is the kit lens junk? If so, what do you all recommend?

Thanks,

ZLM

I wouldn't classify it as junk, just don't expect miracles our of it. As I mentioned before the wider angles have a large amount of lens distortion. The jpgs are corrected, but the RAWs require something like lightroom or C1 to do lens correction.

Other than that it's a fine lens to have in your bag of you need a wide angle lens or 50mm.

I would strongly recommend the 35mm 1.8 though. That's what I primarily use and I love it. I'm also going to be getting the 55-210 soon as well.

Last edited:

zachlegomaniac

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2008
I wouldn't classify it as junk, just don't expect miracles our of it. As I mentioned before the wider angles have a large amount of lens distortion. The jpgs are corrected, but the RAWs require something like lightroom or C1 to do lens correction.

Other than that it's a fine lens to have in your bag of you need a wide angle lens or 50mm.

I would strongly recommend the 35mm 1.8 though. That's what I primarily use and I love it. I'm also going to be getting the 55-210 soon as well.

Thanks. I'm a novice, but am going to get the bundle on Amazon that has the kit lens and the 55-210 for a great price. As I've been researching cameras in stores and online I feel like I hear two different strong opinions on the kit lens (one that it's worthless and another that it serves its purpose just fine). I think coming into it as a beginner it won't be something I will notice, anyways.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
Congrats on the purchase. I have the NEX-6 with the 35F1.8... very nice to use. Enjoy!

skaeight

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2009
Thanks. I'm a novice, but am going to get the bundle on Amazon that has the kit lens and the 55-210 for a great price. As I've been researching cameras in stores and online I feel like I hear two different strong opinions on the kit lens (one that it's worthless and another that it serves its purpose just fine). I think coming into it as a beginner it won't be something I will notice, anyways.

Ya that combo will serve you well starting out. Other lenses are something to think about in the future, but don't worry about it now. Once you start to realize "why" you might want a different lens, that's probably when you start to think about it.

Again, enjoy the camera.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.