Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Just sampled, and sipped, and consumed a beer from the legendary Founder's stable: It comes with the wonderful name of 'Dark Penance' (how could one not fall for such a fantastic name - shades of 'A Scarlet Letter' and the writing of the supremely gifted Nathaniel Hawthorne?)

Anyway, a wonderful beer, rich, dark, thrilling, deep with hidden depths, and wonderfully flavoursome. I must seek out other beers from this venerable stable.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Just sampled, and sipped, and consumed a beer from the legendary Founder's stable: It comes with the wonderful name of 'Dark Penance' (how could one not fall for such a fantastic name - shades of 'A Scarlet Letter' and the writing of the supremely gifted Nathaniel Hawthorne?)

Anyway, a wonderful beer, rich, dark, thrilling, deep with hidden depths, and wonderfully flavoursome. I must seek out other beers from this venerable stable.

Well, I'm impressed you were able to lay your hands on some out there! Glad you enjoyed it.

Dythuger

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2012

Wow. I am shocked that it gets shipped out of the U.S. Good for you!

I opened up a bottle of my wife's favorite beer that hadn't been bottled since 2011. It was everything she remembered. I also got her some Girl Scout cookies for good measure. Scored some brownie points.

It's a really good looking beer. Love the red color.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425316911.588663.jpg

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Wow. I am shocked that it gets shipped out of the U.S. Good for you!

I opened up a bottle of my wife's favorite beer that hadn't been bottled since 2011. It was everything she remembered. I also got her some Girl Scout cookies for good measure. Scored some brownie points.

It's a really good looking beer. Love the red color.

View attachment 532558

Well, I'm impressed you were able to lay your hands on some out there! Glad you enjoyed it.

Founders is top notch all around, from their IPAs to Stouts to Scotch Ales, one of the most solid breweries around.

In truth, I was surprised and delighted myself, too that it was possible to obtain it in Europe. It seems that the manager of the place which stocks them will be able to obtain most of the range for me, should I wish to place an order.

Anyway, it was an excellent beer, and I look forward to sampling as much of the remainder of the range that I can lay hands on.

JamesMike

macrumors 603
Nov 3, 2014
Oregon
Going to have one of my Oregon stand-by beers, Black Butte Porter. It brewed by the Deschutes Brewery in Bend, Oregon. Very easy to drink while I read my book.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I am indulging in a St Bernardus ABT 12 -- ooooh, GOOD STUFF!!!!! I had seen it mentioned favorably on here and so a while ago picked up a bottle at my local Total Wine & Beverage, which stocks a lot of beers. LOVED it! Next time I was there a couple of days ago, I bought more.......I am hooked now. Definitely not an "everyday," casual sort of beer, but rather one to truly savor and appreciate......

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
While visiting family, I found myself presented with an opportunity...and they were on sale, to boot!

Oh come on!!!! That is just rubbing it in!!!! :D:)

----------

Going to have one of my Oregon stand-by beers, Black Butte Porter. It brewed by the Deschutes Brewery in Bend, Oregon. Very easy to drink while I read my book.

Super good beer! I pretty much like all of the beers I have had from them. Granted I haven't had them all, but the ones I have had, I really liked! This one being my favorite!

I am indulging in a St Bernardus ABT 12 -- ooooh, GOOD STUFF!!!!! I had seen it mentioned favorably on here and so a while ago picked up a bottle at my local Total Wine & Beverage, which stocks a lot of beers. LOVED it! Next time I was there a couple of days ago, I bought more.......I am hooked now. Definitely not an "everyday," casual sort of beer, but rather one to truly savor and appreciate......

It is really good sipping beer. One of my favorite Belgium, heck, one of my favorite beers period!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

I am delighted that you enjoyed it; yes, an excellent beer truly one to sip and savour….

……..

It is really good sipping beer. One of my favorite Belgium, heck, one of my favorite beers period!

Agreed. One of my all time favourites, too. An outstanding beer.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
It's really just perfect for a cold, wintry, snowy night....warms the cockles of my heart! Not the sort of thing I'd sit out on the deck and drink on a hot summer's evening! Many other beers for that.....

That is exactly the point, though.

Those rich, full, flavoursome, (highly alcoholic) dark beers are very much a winter experience; they cry out for darkness, the cold, snugs in pubs, along with crackling fires.

Personally, I prefer something quite a bit lighter - in colour, texture and alcohol level in my beer in summer, especially if the summer is warm and sunny.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Yep! That is why I am enjoying this new experience this winter...... I can't believe that in all the years I've been a beer drinker that I never really explored other beers until about a year ago, and even at that it was rather sporadic. These past few months I've gotten much more into it and have been greatly delighting in the whole thing!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I tried the classic 'Porter' of Founder's beer last night; extremely good, I must say. Indeed, I shall work my way through what seems to be their quite excellent selection of beers…..

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Just now, I am sipping a glass (correct size and shape) of beer, poured from a lovely bottle with the inviting label of 'Tripel Karmeliet'. Gorgeous.

Oh, it's been a while since I had a Tripel Karmeliet. Yum! I usually only see it in 750ml bottles, so I either have to be prepared to finish it myself or have to be expecting some company.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Oh, it's been a while since I had a Tripel Karmeliet. Yum! I usually only see it in 750ml bottles, so I either have to be prepared to finish it myself or have to be expecting some company.

Well, as I had only bought one bottle to try it out (yes, it'd delicious, it'll be put on a list for further purchases), I suppose, for the remainder of the evening, I shall just have to slum it for my next beer, and retrieve either a bottle of the rather splendid St Bernardus Abt 12 or the lovely Rochefort Trappist 6 from the crate I had ordered last week.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Well, as I had only bought one bottle to try it out (yes, it'd delicious, it'll be put on a list for further purchases), I suppose, for the remainder of the evening, I shall just have to slum it for my next beer, and retrieve either a bottle of the rather splendid St Bernardus Abt 12 or the lovely Rochefort Trappist 6 from the crate I had ordered last week.

That's a hell of a slum.:eek:

I could go for a Rochfort 6 right about now, but I suppose I should focus on finishing up a few items at work. :p

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
That's a hell of a slum.:eek:

I could go for a Rochfort 6 right about now, but I suppose I should focus on finishing up a few items at work. :p

Slightly embarrassed cough.

Yes, well, I pride myself on the quality of the beers (and wines, and ports, and, um) and other beverages to be found in my slum, um, sorry, cellar.

Why stock, store, drink, or offer that which you don't like?

Anyway, the St Bernardus Abt 12 - there was an almost full crate, after all - won that contest. An outstanding beer….

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Slightly embarrassed cough.

Yes, well, I pride myself on the quality of the beers (and wines, and ports, and, um) and other beverages to be found in my slum, um, sorry, cellar.

Why stock, store, drink, or offer that which you don't like?

Anyway, the St Bernardus Abt 12 - there was an almost full crate, after all - won that contest. An outstanding beer….

Well, you have me there. My own 'cellar' is stocked with high quality wares as well. Including, I may have mentioned in the past, a 1977 Dow's Port that was gifted to me. And on top of that I have easy access to a store that is exquisitely curated at all price points.

I'll take quality over quantity any day.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Well, you have me there. My own 'cellar' is stocked with high quality wares as well. Including, I may have mentioned in the past, a 1977 Dow's Port that was gifted to me. And on top of that I have easy access to a store that is exquisitely curated at all price points.

I'll take quality over quantity any day.

A privilege of age. But, yes, I am in full agreement with you.

As a student, there are some (slightly embarrassing) memories (concerning consumption) that a veil is best drawn over; the sort of memories where quantity mattered, and quality was an, at best, optional extra.

Then, you age. You find that your capacity for enjoying drinking dross inexplicably declines. And you find that your palate has become somewhat more discerning. Naturally, this usually means that it costs more, as well.

And this means that it might help that usually you are paying for this, as, by this time in your life, some sort of income - scholarships, fellowships, miserable academic salaries, - or other means - usually accompany the development of a somewhat more discerning and sophisticated palate.

But yes. As I may have mentioned elsewhere, my cellar - here, at home, - and elsewhere - has been a source of quiet pride and considerable enjoyment. There are few pleasures in life to equal sharing a civilised glass of good wine or beer with congenial company.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.