Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chisholmcody

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2015
Today I was messing around on my "new" macbook pro A1226 and ran into a issue. I was jut surfing the web and all of the sudden it just shut off no warning at all. This caused my boot files to go corrupt so after reinstalling mavericks I got it all working again.But guess what the same thing happend 20 min later. So after I got it to boot up no problem I checked the console and it said SMC Read key action error. So what is the issue with my mac book pro. I will also be posting a pic of the errors.

Thanks,

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-03-01 at 5.19.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-03-01 at 5.19.11 PM.png
    229.4 KB · Views: 90

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
Most likely have a third-party App installed that deals with hardware sensors or monitoring of some type. smcfancontrol can cause these messages, depending on the version installed. iStat menus can cause them too, again depending on the version being used. In some cases, the messages are benign, and can be ignored (but will complicate troubleshooting for any other issues, including the one you're having), but in other cases they can be related to the offending App, which is usually the cause of any issues.

If applicable, remove your third-party apps that may be doing something like resource or hardware monitoring, and see if that helps.

Of course, it could also be the "messing" that you did that's causing the problem (without knowing anything further about what "messing" you actually did.)

chisholmcody

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2015
messing as in playing games on it and watching youtube. But I read in another thread that cheap 3rd party batteries caused his. And mine has only done it while running on battery. Could this be the problem

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
It could possibly cause it. The batteries have chips in them that other parts of the system access to read VPD from (manufacture date, capacity, charge remaining, etc.)

No guarantees that third-party batteries would have the same info, or have it located in the same areas that it would be on genuine Apple batteries, which (in theory) could cause the issues that you are seeing.

If you have the original Apple battery laying around, then put it back in and see if those errors go away.

Keep in mind, those error messages could be completely unrelated to your issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.