Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jungledas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2015
I have an iPad2, using iOS 4.3.3.
At the time I bought it (2011), i jailbroke it, filled it with games and stuff. Then I moved to Brasil in a place with almost no internet connections and so never updated it. My understanding of the jailbreak process is very limited but I would like to know if I can update it to whatever iOS possible, even 8.1.1, and of course keep it jailbroken. If not iOS8, maybe 5 or 6 or 7.
I must say I have no SHSH blob saved if needed.
I am sure this question has already been covered in previous thread but before I go through all, I would like a quick answer, possible or not.

Thank you

RoboWarriorSr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2013
Well, first I would save your iOS 4 blobs first. This is actually relevant now but i'll get into that later. When you update to iOS 8, you must go through iOS 6 first OTA (this is through OTA, not sure about DFU mode). Therefore you technically have two choices, iOS 6 or iOS 8. Regardless neither version are jail breakable since updating OTA to iOS 6 cannot be jailbroken (OTA updates are not supported for iOS 6 jailbreak) and iOS 8 recently received an update that also patched the jailbreak (granted the next one will probably get an update). Saving your blobs is important since there seem to be a way to downgrade to iOS 4 on the iPad 2 and then OTA update to iOS 6. Whether you want iOS 6 or iOS 8 is up to you, old school or updated apps.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I have an iPad2, using iOS 4.3.3.
At the time I bought it (2011), i jailbroke it, filled it with games and stuff. Then I moved to Brasil in a place with almost no internet connections and so never updated it. My understanding of the jailbreak process is very limited but I would like to know if I can update it to whatever iOS possible, even 8.1.1, and of course keep it jailbroken. If not iOS8, maybe 5 or 6 or 7.
I am sure this question has already been covered in previous thread but before I go through all, I would like a quick answer, possible or not.

Thank you
Blobs are irrelevant now and have been since iOS 6. iOS 7 and above do not even use blobs any more. Downgrading is now impossible.

You can upgrade to the latest version that your iPad 2 can run. If that is iOS 7.1.2 then there is a jailbreak for that. If it's iOS 8.x then it will be iOS 8.1.3, which is NOT currently jailbreakable.

iOS 8.1.2 stopped being signed last week.

jungledas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2015
You can upgrade to the latest version that your iPad 2 can run. If that is iOS 7.1.2 then there is a jailbreak for that. If it's iOS 8.x then it will be iOS 8.1.3, which is NOT currently jailbreakable.

Ok Then, can you point me on a guide to update it to 7.1.2? Do I need to restore it first through iTunes? But if so, wouldn't it install 8.1.3 straight after restauration? If not through iTunes, how? Please bare with me and thank you

----------

Well, first I would save your iOS 4 blobs first. This is actually relevant now but i'll get into that later. When you update to iOS 8, you must go through iOS 6 first OTA (this is through OTA, not sure about DFU mode). Therefore you technically have two choices, iOS 6 or iOS 8. Regardless neither version are jail breakable since updating OTA to iOS 6 cannot be jailbroken (OTA updates are not supported for iOS 6 jailbreak) and iOS 8 recently received an update that also patched the jailbreak (granted the next one will probably get an update). Saving your blobs is important since there seem to be a way to downgrade to iOS 4 on the iPad 2 and then OTA update to iOS 6. Whether you want iOS 6 or iOS 8 is up to you, old school or updated apps.
I must admit I don't quite undertsand your point. I may update OTA to iOS 6 or 8 but none are jailbreakable?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Lots of bad info in this thread.
You only have 2 options. Leave it where it is now or update to the latest 8.1.3
There is no jb for 8.1.3 and you cannot install any other iOS version either.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Ok Then, can you point me on a guide to update it to 7.1.2? Do I need to restore it first through iTunes? But if so, wouldn't it install 8.1.3 straight after restauration? If not through iTunes, how? Please bare with me and thank you
I don't really use an iPad, so I will try to explain it from an iPhone perspective that should apply.

The iPhone 3GS is only capable of upgrading to iOS 6. If you plugged a 3GS into iTunes your only option would be the last version of iOS 6.

The iPhone 4 can only update to 7.1.2. So, that version is the only one that you can upgrade to.

The 4S and above are upgradeable to iOS 8, so even though iOS 7 and 6 are the only one you can upgrade to with the 4 and the 3GS, it's not an option for the 4s and above.

Applying this to iPads is similar. I don't own an iPad so I'm just not certain as to which type of iPad is limited to which version of iOS.

If it's 7.1.2, then that version is jailbreakable. If it's 8.1.3, then it's not.

jungledas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2015
Lots of bad info in this thread.
You only have 2 options. Leave it where it is now or update to the latest 8.1.3
There is no jb for 8.1.3 and you cannot install any other iOS version either.
So, if I wan't to update to 8.1.3, i need to wait for the jailbreak.OK
Then what? i will restore it first through iTunes, update and then apply the jailbreak, is that so? Will iTunes update straight from iOs 4.3.3 to 8.1.3?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
So, if I wan't to update to 8.1.3, i need to wait for the jailbreak.OK
Then what? i will restore it first through iTunes, update and then apply the jailbreak, is that so? Will iTunes update straight from iOs 4.3.3 to 8.1.3?

Correct.
Connect to itunes and click restore and that will bring you to the latest iOS version.
And if or when there is a jb you can jb it.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Just remember: you can always downgrade to 4.3.3 from iOS8. The iPad2 is the only A5+ device capable of doing so (I've downgraded myself).

BTW, did you upgrade to any iOS version after 4.3.3 & jailbreak (which means saved SHSH blobs)? Then, with the iOS4 keys and the iOS5+ blobs you saved, you can always restore to that very version.

----------

Blobs are irrelevant now and have been since iOS 6. iOS 7 and above do not even use blobs any more. Downgrading is now impossible.

But not with the iPad2. It's certainly possible to downgrade any iPad2 if it was ever JB'n under iOS4. I did downgrade mine too (from 8.1.2 to 4.3.3, but it's also possible to downgrade to any iOS5 and some iOS6 versions too, assuming you did JB the same iPad back then under the respective OS versions).

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Just remember: you can always downgrade to 4.3.3 from iOS8. The iPad2 is the only A5+ device capable of doing so (I've downgraded myself).

BTW, did you upgrade to any iOS version after 4.3.3 & jailbreak (which means saved SHSH blobs)? Then, with the iOS4 keys and the iOS5+ blobs you saved, you can always restore to that very version.

There is no shsh blobs available to download or downgrade using them. Unless there's a way to pull current blobs from his 4.3.3 installed build.
If that is a yes then again the only version he will be able to go is either the latest 8.1.3 or the 4.3.3 ios. Also updating to an iOS version does no automaticly mean those blobs are saved unless it was done manually by the user using various programs.
And without saved blobs for that device downgrading is not possible.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
But not with the iPad2. It's certainly possible to downgrade any iPad2 if it was ever JB'n under iOS4. I did downgrade mine too (from 8.1.2 to 4.3.3, but it's also possible to downgrade to any iOS5 and some iOS6 versions too, assuming you did JB the same iPad back then under the respective OS versions).
Thanks for that info. So, the iPad 2 is like the iPhone 4 and under then as far as being able to downgrade if you have blobs?

P.S. The OP has no saved blobs, so downgrading is not going to be an option.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Thanks for that info. So, the iPad 2 is like the iPhone 4 and under then as far as being able to downgrade if you have blobs?

Yup, you can downgrade any iPad2 assuming it was ever JB'n under iOS4.3.3 - see http://www.jailbreakmatrix.com/howto/downgrade-a5-ipad-2-from-ios-6-to-5-1-1-below

P.S. The OP has no saved blobs, so downgrading is not going to be an option.

Under 4.3.3 or later (iOS5/6) versions? With 4.3.3, you can always downgrade as JB'ing and the subsequent Cydia start did save the 4.3.3 blobs implicitly.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Under 4.3.3 or later (iOS5/6) versions? With 4.3.3, you can always downgrade as JB'ing and the subsequent Cydia start did save the 4.3.3 blobs implicitly.
I'm not arguing with you, I'm just repeating what the OP said.

From his first post:

If that doesn't matter (whether the OP saved them or not) then I learned something today. Thanks!

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011

That's very bad news. Then, indeed either 4.3.3 or 8.1.3. No other choices.

(I'm pretty happy to have blobs for 6.1.2, 6.1, 6.0.1, 5.1.1, 5.1, 5.0.1 and, of course, 4.3.3 for my iPad2 as I can always restore all those iOS versions.)

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008

(I'm pretty happy to have blobs for 6.1.2, 6.1, 6.0.1, 5.1.1, 5.1, 5.0.1 and, of course, 4.3.3 for my iPad2 as I can always restore all those iOS versions.)

You are happy and lucky but cydia hadn't saved bobs for everyone automaticly.
And in some cases the blobs it saved were incomplete/useless.
So no blobs no downgrade period. Jb doesn't equal blobs saved automaticly.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Can the OP save his SHSH blobs using TinyUmbrella?

Under 4.3.3? Sure. But I'm absolutely sure his Cydia has already saved them (easy to check out in Cydia's bottom list) - it did my 4.3.3 blobs back then, in 2011, too, without my explicitly saving in TinyUmbrella.

jungledas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2015
Under 4.3.3? Sure. But I'm absolutely sure his Cydia has already saved them (easy to check out in Cydia's bottom list) - it did my 4.3.3 blobs back then, in 2011, too, without my explicitly saving in TinyUmbrella.

I'm glad this thread helped others.
As for me, I haven't manually saved SHSH blobs at the time I jailbroke the iPad2, can I do it now? Or if Cydia already saved it, where do I go to check?

jungledas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2015

I did try to save the blobs with tinyumbrella with absolutely no luck. The program wouldn't even launch. So I think I'll go straight from 4.3.5 to 8.1.3
Here, I need advice wether I first install iOS 8.1.3 and wait for the jailbreak or wait first for the jailbreak to be available and then update.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
I did try to save the blobs with tinyumbrella with absolutely no luck. The program wouldn't even launch. So I think I'll go straight from 4.3.5 to 8.1.3
Here, I need advice wether I first install iOS 8.1.3 and wait for the jailbreak or wait first for the jailbreak to be available and then update.

It's up to you.
You can Stay jb or update.
There might never be a jb for 8.1.3
They might wait for iOS 8.2 or 8.3 to release another jb. Never know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.