Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

load97

macrumors regular
Feb 29, 2012
Washington
Amazon's free music storage is virtually the same as Apple's: Any songs you purchase through Amazon are stored for free. But, if you want to be able to upload more than 250 of your own digital files to Amazon's music library, you've got to pay for their premium music service, which costs the same amount as iTunes Match.

One advantage to Amazon's Music offering is that they will let you import 250,000 songs (10x as many as iTunes Match) for that $25/year price. Unfortunately, the matched versions on Amazon's service are streamed back to you in MP3 format, rather than AAC like iTunes Match. This has a detrimental effect on battery life on any iOS device as they support hardware decoding of AAC. This is also true of Google's music matching service, as well.

The big advantage to Google's new initiative is that it makes iTunes Match look antiquated. 25,000 tracks for a fee is a lot less appealing than 50,000 for free. iTunes Match's strongest suit remains its integration into the iOS and OS X ecosystems. But, I can certainly see users being willing to jump through a few hoops to get access to their music via Google's music service to save $25 a month, especially if their library is larger than 25,000 songs.

Most any device decodes aac. Battery life of aac being better at decoding is non existent.

AndoDoug

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2015
The very file I uploaded available on Google Music Play?

Does anyone know what exactly happens when you upload a song from your library to enjoy at a later date? Meaning if I upload a VBR mp3 ripped from a particular re-mastering of a track, is that the very one I get to hear when called upon, with no added compression/diminishing of quality for playback? I'd like to be sure of this before I invest too much time in google music play.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Well that truly kicks the living **** out of that God-awful iTunes Match that never ever seemed to work well.

SolarShane

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2014
Google: You rip and upload your own music, for free.
Match: You rip and upload your own music, for $25.

They both do the exact thing. How exactly are they "different"? Would love to here a straight answer from the people claiming that they are.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
Google: You rip and upload your own music, for free.
Match: You rip and upload your own music, for $25.

They both do the exact thing. How exactly are they "different"? Would love to here a straight answer from the people claiming that they are.
With iTunes Match you get free iTunes radio. You don't get free radio with Google Play.

SolarShane

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2014
Well that truly kicks the living **** out of that God-awful iTunes Match that never ever seemed to work well.

OS X is the only thing Apple has left for me. If they **** that up, it's bye bye OS X and hello Bootcamp.

Here's to hoping AAPL doesn't.

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
Meanwhile, tim cook still thinks it's a great "value" to charge $25 a year to access your music. Heck, even Amazon offers free music storage. Get with the time apple, and fire cook already!

Talk missing the point of Music Match. Say you have alot of ripped music that you got from various sources. When you use match, all of your music that is in Apple's catalog is turned into 256k Non DRM. Does any other music service work like that?
Plus iTunes radio is commercial free. This for $24 vs $120 per year. To me Google Music is a distant fourth behind Spotify, Music Match and Beats.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Talk missing the point of Music Match. Say you have alot of ripped music that you got from various sources. When you use match, all of your music that is in Apple's catalog is turned into 256k Non DRM. Does any other music service work like that?.

Yes, free Google Music

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
They should double it if you have Google Play subscription.

----------

Talk missing the point of Music Match. Say you have alot of ripped music that you got from various sources. When you use match, all of your music that is in Apple's catalog is turned into 256k Non DRM. Does any other music service work like that?
Plus iTunes radio is commercial free. This for $24 vs $120 per year. To me Google Music is a distant fourth behind Spotify, Music Match and Beats.

Does that matter if your music is high quality to begin with?

danielsutton

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2011
You do realize that Google can offer it for "free" because they're mining your music preferences and monitizing that data by selling your profile to companies who want to manipulate your perception of their products so that you'll buy them more readily?

Thanks, but no thanks. I'd rather part with $25 bucks.

Yes, Google makes money by mining data an using it to provide targeted ads to people.

Apple makes money by selling hardware, and therefore they do not need to mine data. Apple has nearly $200 billion that the can use to subsidize cloud services and a whole lot of other offerings, so yes they certainly can make cloud storage free or close to it.

agnesss

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2012
Mac Google Music Player

There is a Google Music Player for Mac and iPhone, called Gear, which is reliable and more comfortable to use than the site. I use that and recommend it to everyone.:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.