Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Owenburson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2011
UK
Hello,

I have been stunned over the last week or so to be told by apple support that there is no solution to us not being able to have individuals IMAP emails and their own iCloud account to work on a standard set up network account server!

Has anyone else been told this? Have they misunderstood our problems as I can't believe that this would be the case.

We have Yosemite server and clients updated to the latest versions and all running off mac minis.

Thanks for any thoughts or advice

Zjef

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2008
Dear Owenburson,

Since I moved the clients and server to Yosemite, iCloud connection is cumbersome at the least. To my findings, by disabling and re-enabling iCloud mail and iCloud drive settings, mail will kick in after 2 to 3 attempts. And as long as one keeps the account alive, mail remains working (e.g. full workday). Yosmite’s predecessor, didn’t have this issue.

One of the things I'm considering is trying to directly configure iCloud's IMAP (https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT202304) in a user's profile. But that would mean I also need to manage a user’s iCloud passwords, which is kind defeating the purpose of user authentication.

So to cut a long story short, I’m crossing my fingers that one day Apple would come with a solution to link/bind an OD user account to an iCloud account in a smart and intelligent way. But I humbly believe that Apple is focussing on tying users to devices instead of to people, which is kind of the opposite of my needs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.