Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
So as i posted in another thread my eMac stopped booting off its HDD. Well it still spins up so I put it in my MDD and i get this error both trying to repair or verify.....

What's this mean? It has nothing to do with the fact the HDD is hooked to my ATA33 bus does it?

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    153.4 KB · Views: 76

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
As long as the drive isn't failing or bad, it should still work in the eMac once reformatted.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
So as i posted in another thread my eMac stopped booting off its HDD. Well it still spins up so I put it in my MDD and i get this error both trying to repair or verify.....

Interesting, in the other thread you said it didn't show up in Disk Utility while booted from the Install Disk on the eMac...

Go with Intell's advice and reformat it, then reinstall the OS.

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
As long as the drive isn't failing or bad, it should still work in the eMac once reformatted.

It's really weird The MDD sees the HDD even shows it in the boot menu, won't repair or verify it but sees it yet when I booted the Leopard DVD in the eMac the Disk Utility didn't even see the HDD at all. I hope this doesn't mean something on the eMac is to blame.....

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
It's really weird The MDD sees the HDD even shows it in the boot menu, won't repair or verify it but sees it yet when I booted the Leopard DVD in the eMac the Disk Utility didn't even see the HDD at all. I hope this doesn't mean something on the eMac is to blame.....

Are you able to boot from it in the MDD? Also, have you tried another HDD in the eMac?

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
Are you able to boot from it in the MDD? Also, have you tried another HDD in the eMac?

Sort of and Yes....

I selected it in the boot menu and it did boot, or tried too just like the eMac booting it resulted in just sitting at the :apple: with the spinner below it.

I put the old 80GB 5400RPM HDD back into the eMac (took it out to put this 7200RPM in) and other than Leopard WebKit locking up and making the Screen Zoom lag it works fine.

It is a WD Drive strange since I have never had a WD fail or have bad sectors (not a IDE WD anyway) I have a 160GB WDC (seen in the screenshot) that I bought brand new in 2006ish maybe 2008ish I bought it a few months before the Seagate Barracuda 7200.0 SATA II HDDs hit the shelves

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I had this same error in Panther once.

There are two "trees" in the disk catalog. The A tree and the B tree. The B tree is a backup to the A tree. The "keys out of order" means that the tree has become corrupted. In this case it seems like the B tree, exactly the problem I had.

If you continue without repairing or reformatting the disk you will notice certain peculiar things starting to happen. I.e., you can't open certain apps, some apps close when you issue certain commands, etc.

Intell's advice to reformat is good. However, there is one other option if you have Diskwarrior 4 or above. DW4+ is capable of fixing this error. Versions below 4.0 though are not.

Ultimately I had to reformat and reinstall because we only had DW 3.x (something).

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
I had this same error in Panther once.

There are two "trees" in the disk catalog. The A tree and the B tree. The B tree is a backup to the A tree. The "keys out of order" means that the tree has become corrupted. In this case it seems like the B tree, exactly the problem I had.

If you continue without repairing or reformatting the disk you will notice certain peculiar things starting to happen. I.e., you can't open certain apps, some apps close when you issue certain commands, etc.

Intell's advice to reformat is good. However, there is one other option if you have Diskwarrior 4 or above. DW4+ is capable of fixing this error. Versions below 4.0 though are not.

Ultimately I had to reformat and reinstall because we only had DW 3.x (something).

I don't have any disk repair utilities of any kind. I followed Intell's advice. Not only am I reformatting it, I also selected the "Zero" option and it is doing this task as i speak (which will probably take a long time on a ATA33 bus)

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004

I had this corruption before. I could mount in Target mode and access all files but DU could not mount the volume reliably. Even DiskWarrior and TechToolPro gave up at the "Keys Out Of Order" error. Nothing for it but to wipe and start again.

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
Haven't we been telling you to reformat and wipe the drive for a week now?

I would think the issue is with the the drive and not the emac because you're experiencing issues in both computers, though its possible the emac could have caused the problem.

Wipe the drive, reinstall, it'll take 40 minutes or whatever. Then let us know how it turns out.

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
Well the PowerMac did a successful Zero write and format. Drive appears to work fine. However I don't plan on putting it back in the eMac atleast now ATM i just don't have the ambition to tear apart my eMac on my day off. Seems the drive is fixed though.

The question comes about how the hell this corruption happened to begin with...

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
Well the PowerMac did a successful Zero write and format. Drive appears to work fine. However I don't plan on putting it back in the eMac atleast now ATM i just don't have the ambition to tear apart my eMac on my day off. Seems the drive is fixed though.

Anything from power fluctuations, vibration, to cosmic radiation (seriously).

Then propagation of error. Which you have one small corruption, which may influence another, and that another, and another, and another, until you have detection or catastrophic failure.

MCSN

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2012
Kayenta
you could try saving it for some multi-hot swappable hard drive NAS. i have the same error coming up, but I would agree with the above forumer's, that it has probably to do with power fluctuations or the case that the connection is in.

they say pop it in the freezer and get whatever data you have off, while it pops up, if you keep trying it over and over. if you don't have data on it, try reformatting it. but it might error again at some point till you fix the original issue as you can surmise.

and then don't use it again until you can be confident. but try and get your data off. I have almost all of mine off and still am waiting. but they were failing in other cases thanks so much western digital, who has destroyed my backup dreams.

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
I have to eventually clone the HDD inside my MDD as it has been rock solid since I installed it in the system in 2012 and i have not had to reinstall or anything it still has my Lion theme too. I plan to get a 1TB external HDD or some such thing than i can put all my IDE HDDs into my PowerMac :)

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004

In my case it was failing RAM. A stick I bought on eBay decided to commit hara-kiri slowly after a few weeks leading to random lock ups. If your Mac was in the process of writing to the HDD when it locked up, that plus the forced restart would be enough to scramble the volume. HFS(+) is not the most robust of file systems and if it were not for supporting resource forks in Classic applications Apple would possibly have migrated to some form of UFS or better years ago.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
In my case it was failing RAM. A stick I bought on eBay decided to commit hara-kiri slowly after a few weeks leading to random lock ups. If your Mac was in the process of writing to the HDD when it locked up, that plus the forced restart would be enough to scramble the volume. HFS(+) is not the most robust of file systems and if it were not for supporting resource forks in Classic applications Apple would possibly have migrated to some form of UFS or better years ago.
That's exactly the same thing that happened to me.

PowerMac G5, 1.8Ghz. Fortunately, my boss was still well inside Applecare and I managed to find the one stick that had failed.

That is the ONLY part on that Mac that failed until 2013. The ram in there now is the same ram my boss bought the Mac with plus the replaced stick.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.