Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

powermi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 6, 2013
Avila (Spain)
Hi folks. I have being using PowerPC computers for most of my tasks, keeping attached a powerful PC to my HDTV just for stream movies from my G4server, being an overkill (AMD FX6300, 8 GB RAM, GTX 560ti and SSD with WD velociraptor drives for storage) now i have realized that it would be better to be on my computers room for photo editing (lightroom or linux alternative). So i will need something to stream videos from the G4 server.
i would want to expend money on a INTEL machine like a NUC or similar, cause i wouldn't make any sense the to have the G4 server wake 24/7 as file server and torrent client.
any easy alternative for a powerpc user? thanks.

powermi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 6, 2013
Avila (Spain)
Yes, i am looking for some kind of machine to hook to the HDTV to stream videos, now i am using KODItv on the PC. As i said its an overkill.

spf2

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2015
7exas
Kodi runs on a Raspberri Pi if you know Linux. If not , Android on a stick (Amazon Firestick, Gamestick, etc....) can use Kodi as well. Those are low powered devices that can access your G4 if you either use samba or dlna server. There are many low powered devices that serve your purpose like the Ouya. It requires some work and tweaking.

Last edited:

powermi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 6, 2013
Avila (Spain)
Thanks, since i want it wired i think that the way to go is the raspberry. Hope ill be happy with raspberry 2. Other option was to buy a Gigabite Brix, but it would be an overkill.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.