Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
You keep posting that dead link to iStat Pro (free) though. Time to update your copypasta :p
Yes, that link used to have information about the app. The actual download link later in my post still works. I didn't know they had changed the page and removed the info about the app. Thanks.

otherguy5

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 2, 2015
OK, I tried to download this, but once I extracted the file and clicked on the widget icon (that appears in my download file), nothing happens. I changed the security setting to "Allow Apps to be downloaded anywhere", and still nothing happens. I noticed that that app was posted in 2012, perhaps it doesn't work for the latest model that I have?

Stocks

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2015
A couple days ago when I wanted to check temps I used GGJstudios' link to iStat Menus.

It's a free trial for a certain amount of days (I forget how many, 15 or 30 maybe). but it was enough for me to see what I wanted to see.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
OK, I tried to download this, but once I extracted the file and clicked on the widget icon (that appears in my download file), nothing happens. I changed the security setting to "Allow Apps to be downloaded anywhere", and still nothing happens. I noticed that that app was posted in 2012, perhaps it doesn't work for the latest model that I have?
I'm using that widget on Mavericks. I haven't tried it on Yosemite, but I believe others have. Did you double-click the widget icon to install it?

otherguy5

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 2, 2015
I'm using that widget on Mavericks. I haven't tried it on Yosemite, but I believe others have. Did you double-click the widget icon to install it?

Yup, I just did. It says it installed but now I can't locate it :-/

(Doesn't appear anywhere, can't even locate it on the Finder search)...

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Chrome and Firefox are less efficient and use more CPU power which creates more heat.

Still, it's normal for Mac notebooks to heat up when in use. The system would shut itself off before it heated enough to cause damage which won't happen from Youtube.

Stocks

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2015
Chrome and Firefox are less efficient and use more CPU power which creates more heat.

Why does Chrome not make any significant change in heat on my MBA?

I still think there is something else going on that causes only some people's Macs to heat up while using Chrome.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Why does Chrome not make any significant change in heat on my MBA?

I still think there is something else going on that causes only some people's Macs to heat up while using Chrome.

It depends on what you're doing. When running Flash Chrome uses noticeably more CPU power than other browser. Check your Activity Monitor. Chrome is almost always have a higher energy impact than other browser. Part of that may be due to Chrome's architecture; there's alway 4 or so entry in AM when I run chrome.

It's not necessarily a bad thing. CPU can take heat. As long as the system isn't reaching the high 90's or 100 Celsius there is little concern. My 2011 MBP could easily hit the 80's when using Flash, the Retina versions say much cooler.

Stocks

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2015
It depends on what you're doing. When running Flash Chrome uses noticeably more CPU power than other browser. Check your Activity Monitor. Chrome is almost always have a higher energy impact than other browser. Part of that may be due to Chrome's architecture; there's alway 4 or so entry in AM when I run chrome.

It's not necessarily a bad thing. CPU can take heat. As long as the system isn't reaching the high 90's or 100 Celsius there is little concern. My 2011 MBP could easily hit the 80's when using Flash, the Retina versions say much cooler.

I tried that with iStat Menus the other day. I did everything that Meister said would make his CPU heat way up and make his fans go like crazy, but my CPU stayed cool and fan noise was non-existent. Other people have had the same results as mine.

So it seems as if it's not just Chrome doing it, it's Chrome exacerbating another issue on some people's computers.

otherguy5

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 2, 2015
Did you go to the Dashboard? That's where it appears, like all other widgets.

Found it!

All I saw at first was the calculator and weather widgets, so I had to go to the plus sign to find it. Thanks again for the help.

Also, another thing I noticed today, I tried to upload on youtube the same video, but this time on Safari. No heat at all.

cruisin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2014
Canada

Choose the widgets you want in Dashboard
See a widget in Dashboard: Open Dashboard, click the Add button in the lower-left corner of the screen, then click the widget.

IF you can find the "Add" button on 10.10, then please point it out, as it never showed up for me.

In Notification Centre there is the option to add widgets, but they are not compatible with the old style widgets.

Stocks

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2015
I have a + and - inside of a circle on the bottom left hand corner of my Dashboard. I am using 10.10.2.

cruisin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2014
Canada
Whoops. Apparently they are turned off by default now, and I clean reinstalled 10.10 so I thought widgets got the axe.

There is a setting in System Preferences > Mission Control > Dashboard that turns on widgets and has an overlay option too.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Whoops. Apparently they are turned off by default now, and I clean reinstalled 10.10 so I thought widgets got the axe.

There is a setting in System Preferences > Mission Control > Dashboard that turns on widgets and has an overlay option too.
Yes, as it says in the link I posted:
Turn on Dashboard
  1. Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Mission Control.
  2. Click the Dashboard pop-up menu, then choose As Space or As Overlay.
    • As Space: Dashboard appears in a separate space. In addition to pressing the Dashboard key or F12, you can get to Dashboard by moving between spaces.
    • As Overlay: Dashboard appears over your desktop.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Is it normal for the MBA to heat up a lot when you're uploading one video on youtube (185.3 MB)? Doing nothing else meanwhile then just searching the internet, and watching another YouTube video?

Completely normal, infact i would be worried if the chassis wasn't hot when the cpu is under load. The aluminium chassis works as a big heat sink drawing the heat away from the cpu itself.

joshlalonde

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2014
Canada
The thing is, I'm not sure this is normal... I have never had my computer heat up while watching a video. Playing games? Yes. Youtube? Anime? Double no.

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
The thing is, I'm not sure this is normal... I have never had my computer heat up while watching a video. Playing games? Yes. Youtube? Anime? Double no.

I think you probably have a fairly recent MBA with a Haswell. Those seem to only get somewhat warm when watching streaming video. The 2010-2011 models got pretty darn hot.

otherguy5

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 2, 2015
Update: is this normal? I don't have any applications open other than a browser with one tab open, yet this is the temperature I get on my SSD (in Celsius):

Screen_Shot_2015_03_02_at_11_41_02_AM.png

I restarted it, and now it's but to 56 degrees. Either this app is broken, or... am I missing something, because I don't think it should be this warm consider what I'm doing. Anyone else experience this type of inaccurate readings with Istat?

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
Update: is this normal? I don't have any applications open other than a browser with one tab open, yet this is the temperature I get on my SSD (in Celsius):
I restarted it, and now it's but to 56 degrees. Either this app is broken, or... am I missing something, because I don't think it should be this warm consider what I'm doing. Anyone else experience this type of inaccurate readings with Istat?

I don't know if that's an accurate temperature or not but it sounds like you don't know either. So what makes you think 56 is a wrong or bad temperature?

otherguy5

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 2, 2015
I don't know if that's an accurate temperature or not but it sounds like you don't know either. So what makes you think 56 is a wrong or bad temperature?

Well, just based on past experience. It's usually around 45-48 degrees when opening multiple tabs and having a few youtube videos loading. But today, with just opening my MBA and having one tab open, no media, for it to be that high seemed a little bit odd (plus I could feel the warmth). I was wondering what everybody else's experience was in terms of the temperature when they do normal browsing tasks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.