Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aces2412

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 21, 2012
Near DC
I am looking to get a good deal after the release of the new air on the 9th. I would like some suggestions on must haves ? 8g vs 4g ram etc. Which ones have the most issues?

I hear the 13's are faster than the 14's. I would love to spend between $450 and $530.

Thx

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011
How long are you planning on keeping the computer? It sounds like you have a budget for it. If you plan to use it for the long haul get the 8 GB ram. I recommend getting refurb on the Apple Store after they discount them because of the new ones.

MarvinHC

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2014
Belgium
I am looking to get a good deal after the release of the new air on the 9th. I would like some suggestions on must haves ? 8g vs 4g ram etc. Which ones have the most issues?

I hear the 13's are faster than the 14's. I would love to spend between $450 and $530.

Thx

Don't go for the 2012, 2013 onwards has significantly improved battery. Your budget is a bit on the lowside, from 769 you get an Apple refurb

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_air

For the RAM question; plenty plenty of threads on that comment. The short version:
For the majority of users 4GB is plenty enough, unless you do memory intensive tasks (running VM/parallels, high res video cutting etc.)

Aces2412

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 21, 2012
Near DC
Don't go for the 2012, 2013 onwards has significantly improved battery. Your budget is a bit on the lowside, from 769 you get an Apple refurb

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_air

For the RAM question; plenty plenty of threads on that comment. The short version:
For the majority of users 4GB is plenty enough, unless you do memory intensive tasks (running VM/parallels, high res video cutting etc.)

Thanks for your input. I have been watching ebay and craigslist and my plan is when this newer MBA 12" is revealed folks that want the NBT and will flood the supply and I hope to grab a 2013! at a great price.

I feel that I am going back in time getting a laptop, I have an IMac and 2 ipads, that my kids hog, but miss the full nature of a computer; If that makes any sence.

Last question what is a good range for battery cycle? 140-200?

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Cycles not that important

Thanks for your input. I have been watching ebay and craigslist and my plan is when this newer MBA 12" is revealed folks that want the NBT and will flood the supply and I hope to grab a 2013! at a great price.

I feel that I am going back in time getting a laptop, I have an IMac and 2 ipads, that my kids hog, but miss the full nature of a computer; If that makes any sence.

To be honest the age of the battery is more important than cycles, and it'll be a combination of use and age that ddestroys battery life not one or the other. Newer machine the better no more than 300 cycles if I was buying it.

I think the 12 inch MBA will be a dissappointment though and this will not lower the MBA prices at all..

Airboy1466

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2015

I say go for a 2013 and get one off eBay if possible i recently just purchased my early 2014 Macbook air off eBay for $589 13.3 inch screen 4gb ram 128 gb SSD no scratches or dents and only 7 charge cycles and apple care until 2017

It might take some time but i would suggest just watching a bunch of MacBooks at auction and you could end up getting a deal like i did by being the only bidder

I would also suggest not waiting till the new one comes cause a lot of people will be thinking like you are and prices will most likely be inflated.

also what i did to find my deal was type in the computer i wanted various ways because sometimes a seller will list it incorrectly creating less traffic thus creating a great deal for your self

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden

I think you're greatly overestimating the effect of a new product intro on used prices of the 2013 and 2014 MBAs. In fact, depending on what Apple actually introduces, prices could go UP. Look at what happened with the Mini.

However, my guess is you going to have several months or more to think this over. I'd be very surprised if there are any new MBAs at the Spring Forward event next week.

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas
Get a base model 2013 (4gb of ram, 128ssd). In your price range, you'd be lucky to find a base model 2013. Anything with 8gb of ram or more than 128 storage will cost significantly more. I saw the deal that Airboy said he got on eBay and that is the exception not the rule.

As others have stated, the release of the 12 (if it even happens) will have little affect on current 13 inch models pricing. Just look until you find the closest to what you want that is in your price range.

Aces2412

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 21, 2012
Near DC
Get a base model 2013 (4gb of ram, 128ssd). In your price range, you'd be lucky to find a base model 2013. Anything with 8gb of ram or more than 128 storage will cost significantly more. I saw the deal that Airboy said he got on eBay and that is the exception not the rule.

As others have stated, the release of the 12 (if it even happens) will have little affect on current 13 inch models pricing. Just look until you find the closest to what you want that is in your price range.

Well luck struck. I got a 2014 11" MBA with applecare until Jan 2016!!! One small scuff thats it for >>>>$550, I got it off of craigslist. You first though, is it stolen. Answer I hope not. I ran the serial # through some mac stolen check web sites and ran the serial number through apple. All seems ok. I got the guys cell number name and took a photo of his car/tag. Just in case.

I like it so far.

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas
Well luck struck. I got a 2014 11" MBA with applecare until Jan 2016!!! One small scuff thats it for >>>>$550, I got it off of craigslist. You first though, is it stolen. Answer I hope not. I ran the serial # through some mac stolen check web sites and ran the serial number through apple. All seems ok. I got the guys cell number name and took a photo of his car/tag. Just in case.

I like it so far.

Congrats that's a great deal. I doubt it is stolen especially if you ran the sn. Enjoy the new beast!

Airboy1466

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2015

I like it so far.

make sure you call apple and have the macbook put under your name so the buyer doesn’t call and cancel the remaining apple care for a refund, I had to do the same once i got my macbook air off of eBay

Aces2412

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 21, 2012
Near DC
make sure you call apple and have the macbook put under your name so the buyer doesn’t call and cancel the remaining apple care for a refund, I had to do the same once i got my macbook air off of eBay

Thanks I called Apple and then realize it is not applecare but the 1 year warranty that is covering it until Jan 2016. They said they could not change the name of the original owner but added my apple ID to the macbook.

I am having the feeling the person that sold me this macbook was not the original owner. Why would someone take a 50% hit after only having it for a month . We will see if apple one day locks down this MBA.

ratboy90

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2009
I'm going to continue this thread because i'm in the same boat now.

I have the option of getting a 2012 MBA(with a new battery) for 500 or a early 2014 for 600.

Money is tight but I could get the 2014 one. Is it worth it though?

I'm mainly gonna use it for web browsing(has to be Chrome though), documents and some photoshop/lightroom once in a while

Last edited:

MarvinHC

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2014
Belgium
I'm going to continue this thread because i'm in the same boat now.

I have the option of getting a 2012 MBA(with a new battery) for 500 or a early 2014 for 600.

Money is tight but I could get the 2014 one. Is it worth it though?

I'm mainly gonna use it for web browsing(has to be Chrome though), documents and some photoshop/lightroom once in a while

No discussion, go for the 2014. It has significantly improved battery life 12 vs 7 hours for the 13")
Especially if you use Chrome a lot which drains the battery a lot quicker!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.