Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Its very simple, really. If Apple suspect physical damage or other kind of abuse, the warranty is voided. Just like with any other manufacturer or item. You can't expect to get free warranty repair on your car after it has clearly been in an accident. If you are unhappy with Apple's decision, its your right to contest it. Whats worthless is ranting about it on a forum.

antsgeek

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2012
Apple Care -do not purchase Apple Care support

I agree Apple Care is worthless. I'm talking about very poor Apple Care customer service, lack of trouble-shooting knowledge, lack of empathy(blaming everything on 3rd party). Apple Care customer service (Tier1) can not even resolve the most basic of problems, they put you on hold to research the simplest of problems(which if they were trained properly-they would be able to). DO NOT BUY APPLE CARE. IT WOULD BE A MISTAKE.

Last edited:

capitanbuzo

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2007
This is why I always use my Amex. Extends the warranty a year at no cost to me. Had a retina iPad mini go out on me for no reason just past the year mark of owning it. No questions they gave me my money back.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Its very simple, really. If Apple suspect physical damage or other kind of abuse, the warranty is voided. Just like with any other manufacturer or item. You can't expect to get free warranty repair on your car after it has clearly been in an accident. If you are unhappy with Apple's decision, its your right to contest it. Whats worthless is ranting about it on a forum.

Really? You seriously think any car in warranty has its whole warranty voided when involved in the slightest accident? That is obviously not so.

The test is whether the component has been affected by the accident. That is partly what insurance assessors are there to assess.

Accredited repair shops are accredited so that manufacturers can have confidence that the car is repaired properly and any affected components are replaced. Then, by definition the un-replaced components still have their warranty intact.

I agree though that Apple are entitled to avoid warranty repair on a machine that hasn't been repaired, they would need to inspect and repair as necessary, that is, I suspect, what is happening here. So the screen in this case will be left as-is, or repaired at the OP's friend's cost, but it won't be repaired for free.

Equally I don't believe Apple are entitled to void the entire machine warranty unless and until they inspect and determine so much damage has occurred, or might have occurred (eg with liquid damage), that it effectively writes the machine off.

Airboy1466

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2015
UPDATE: So my friend was contacted today by an apple rep and they apologized about the experience that he had received in the apple store, and that the employe was going by guidelines but shouldn’t have voided the warranty because of the scratch and they offered to replace his current computer with one of equal value or repair his current one free of charge. So i guess apple isn’t to blame just be careful when going into an apple store and getting your computer inspected.

ano0oj

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2010
No it doesn’t my apple care in still in effect I went to apple store with a friend today to get his macbook pro repaired his logic board is having issues but because he has a scratch on his screen apple the genius bar voided his warranty because it failed the visual inspection we argued that what does a scratch have to do with a logic board problem and he insisted that any form of physical damage voids the warranty and the only way for him to have his computer inspected further and repaired he had to sign something stating that he was agreeing to his warranty being terminated. He’s writing and escalated claim to apple ill update on how that goes

----------

No problem and I’ve never had any issues like this either until i witnessed it first had today while accompanying a friend but yes i find this news very alarming

There's something obviously missing from your story...they wouldn't void warranty from normal wear and tear.

My old MBP had several dents in it, and without any issues Apple replaced my logicboard even AFTER my AC expired.

Airboy1466

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2015
There's something obviously missing from your story...they wouldn't void warranty from normal wear and tear.

My old MBP had several dents in it, and without any issues Apple replaced my logicboard even AFTER my AC expired.

you just said apple care was expired

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
you just said apple care was expired

I think you missed the point, they didn't void due to scratches etc, they extended a complementary repair. Hugely illogical for an organisation to be deliberately expiring service agreements yet giving complementary repairs to those very machines.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA

Ditto this! My old MBP also has some cosmetic damage (minor scratches on the aluminum, bent "ears", etc), and I got free repairs for a hard drive cable for a year and a half after AppleCare expired. There are always ignorant Geniuses, by I've had a good experience for the most part.

dmitrivich

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2014
It's funny how people recognize that extended warranties are not worthwhile in most circumstances, yet a large proportion of people think Applecare is worthwhile. No doubt because they think it is something other than an extended warranty.

I can see it being worthwhile in the same circumstances that extended warranties are otherwise recommended - it is a product that you have to have (say for school or work) and while you can afford to buy it, you might not be able to afford to make repairs that would leave it out of commission if not executed.

Apple wouldn't bother offering it if they weren't making money on it. You'll save money in the long run assuming the risk for hardware failures yourself. Also, as another poster mentioned, most major credit cards will add a year onto the manufacturer's warranty for purchases like this. Two years of paid-for hardware repairs is plenty in almost all cases.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.