Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeremy325

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2015
I have been using parralles for several months now. I do all my work on the windows side. I check email and contact on mac side that is about it. Should i just use boot camp and take advantage of the mac power or continue to use parallels. I have been reading a lot on this. Don't know what to do

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
ITs really personal preference. Do you want windows and OS X to run side by side, i.e., Parallels, or do you want boot out of OS X and into windows by doing so you get direct access to the hardware and the best performance (at a cost of poorer battery life).

jeremy325

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2015
I am fixing to load Microsoft office to. I am needing excel and a software i needing to get runs inconjuction with excel and microsoft visio. Will this slow the virtual machine down. That is why iam looking into boot camp and just use outlook for email then i would not have to boot back and forth. Does this make sense. thanks for y'all help

comda

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
ITs really personal preference. Do you want windows and OS X to run side by side, i.e., Parallels, or do you want boot out of OS X and into windows by doing so you get direct access to the hardware and the best performance (at a cost of poorer battery life).

Why would it be costing battery life? isnt bootcamp better for battery life considering its only powering one OS rather then OSX and Windows?

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
Why would it be costing battery life? isnt bootcamp better for battery life considering its only powering one OS rather then OSX and Windows?

Boot Camp can have worse battery life if the Mac has a discrete GPU, because Boot Camp will always force the dGPU to be active. The UEFI has been written in such a way that the iGPU is invisible to Windows.

You can always force the iGPU to be active before using Parallels.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.