Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

generalgeek

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2014
And the new keyboards keep getting sillier and sillier - the GIF Keyboard just got updated so you can share multiple images at once. So many GIFs!

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
Swiftkey just got an update that lets you swipe on the iPad. Pretty cool.

Finally. Something we could do all along with e.g. Swype and Path Input.
I still hope that Swype will come up with a similar iPad keyboard (numeric pad too) as Path Input has because besides the swipe gestures i sometimes want to type words and that works best with Swype.

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
In what world is Swyping on an iPad even remotely faster than tapping keys? Seems you'd have to swype pretty damned far, almost too far that any 'speed' gained would be lost by how far you had to track? It's barely saving time on an iPhone IMO. (not trying to be smarmy)

iEyeEye

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2014
In what world is Swyping on an iPad even remotely faster than tapping keys? Seems you'd have to swype pretty damned far, almost too far that any 'speed' gained would be lost by how far you had to track? It's barely saving time on an iPhone IMO. (not trying to be smarmy)

In the "I'm running Nintype with the split keyboard active" world, swiping works great. It's just like the stock (split) iPad keyboard except you can swipe convenient chunks of words.

e.g., I type/swipe "troublesome" like this: swipe "tr" with left thumb almost simultaneously with swiping "oubl" with right thumb, release thumbs, swipe "es" with left thumb while swiping "om" with right, release, tap the final "e" and spacebar with left. Done about four times faster than tap-typing the whole word.

Note that this doesn't work with any other keyboard that I know of, because they (the swipe-capable keyboards, that is) all require one continuous swipe per word. Nintype's ability to combine taps and swipes in the same word is what makes it rock.

Last edited:

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe

much convient to swype in portrait than to write with one hand. unfortunately 3rd party keyboards still dont work well. im using swype all the time with android phone/tablets but with ios it is like pain in ass ;(

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore

When you are trying to type with only one hand? ��

Even if you don't use the swyping function, I find these 3rd party keyboards tend to sport better auto-correction compared to Apple's stock keyboard, and it even comes with inbuilt emoji support.

generalgeek

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2014
Is there a way to shrink the keyboard on the iPad (other than the native one) for one-handed use. (My iPad is busted, so I can't see for myself.)

gigapocket1

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2009
I stopped using ninType. It really is a battery hog.. On a full charge. The keyboard was using about 15-18% of my battery...
Switched to fleksy. Big difference obviously with no swype.. I couldn't find another keyboard that worked like ninType which sucked.. But Fleksy uses only 3-5%..

generalgeek

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2014
Interesting. I've found some of the keyboards to be memory hogs, but haven't paid attention to battery usage.

TOMIMOT

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2011
Canada
Finally. Something we could do all along with e.g. Swype and Path Input.
I still hope that Swype will come up with a similar iPad keyboard (numeric pad too) as Path Input has because besides the swipe gestures i sometimes want to type words and that works best with Swype.

agreeeeed!

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Nintype just got updated.

• Next-word prediction is back
  • Algorithm improvement : Stop at the "r" in "art" while swiping with one finger, and you'l be able to hint the "r". It used to hint double letters, change back to the old mode from options.
  • Top-bar learning UI is revamped. You can enable the old way (instant open) from the options menu
  • Press-hold an empty top part of the topbar, and shortcut slots are there for your use
  • Much improved autospace mode
  • Fixed capsed words issue
  • Autocorrect when cursor is just at the end of the word is now disabled
  • Lots of bugfixes
  • Fancy new themes
  • Lots of other new stuff
  • Simpler options menu

You can now customize color rows and export themes. Wish we could customize the text on a per row basis too though.

IMG_0510.png

And maybe I missed it last time, but now there's an additional row of shortcuts you can switch to aswell.

Last edited:

danny8200

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2014
Chicopee, MA
Anyone else XP this common bug where the keyboard fails to appear making the user force close the app then re open it? I'm referring specifically to fleksy and swiftkey. I was just wondering if I should just wait until iOS 8.2 before using these custom keyboards again.

GoingDark

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2013
Anyone else XP this common bug where the keyboard fails to appear making the user force close the app then re open it? I'm referring specifically to fleksy and swiftkey. I was just wondering if I should just wait until iOS 8.2 before using these custom keyboards again.

This bug is still present with SwiftKey even on the latest iOS version. It's frustrating as hell and makes me want to give up on custom keyboards altogether.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
This bug is still present with SwiftKey even on the latest iOS version. It's frustrating as hell and makes me want to give up on custom keyboards altogether.

That and swiftkey still keeps crashing on my iPad, often defaulting to the stock keyboard. Pretty irritating.

aarontsuru

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2014
Baltimore, MD
Just did a fresh install of Swiftkey after updating to 8.2.
I only have swiftkey & emoji turned on.
Went to quick reply and got no keyboard.

BUT....

when I took a screenshot, the keyboard was on that!?!
WTF?

aarontsuru

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2014
Baltimore, MD
Anyone else using third party keyboards on the new ios 8.2? Has that damn keyboard disappearing bug been worked on?

You still get no keyboard on the lock screen and last night, I got no keyboard in iMessages when I tapped into the dialogue box to reply.

Uninstalled.

Will try again in 8.3, I guess.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
You still get no keyboard on the lock screen and last night, I got no keyboard in iMessages when I tapped into the dialogue box to reply.

Uninstalled.

Will try again in 8.3, I guess.
Uninstalled what?

Narcaz

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2013
Is there any alternative to iKeywi? Swipe select and the 5th row have been nice. But it looks like that the development of the App Store version has stopped. Last update october 2014, still no qwertz layout and no response from the developer via email/twitter. I heard nintype has the swipe select feature, but it looks like an overkill for my needs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.