Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ephemeralreason

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2012
iPhone 5s 16gb ATT Unlimited in Space Gray
iPad Air 2 128gb LTE T Mobile in Space Gray
2008 MacBook which barely gets touched
iPod Classic 32gb

CairnsRock

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2013
Toronto
This is interesting. Do you mind expanding on that? What sorts of file transfers and storage? You don't ever feel like the 16gb on your iOS devices is insufficient?

Sorry for the delay in responding, I'm wintering in Mexico and spending more time outdoors.

I download and store tv shows and movies on the MBA and play them on tv with airplay. As you know video is a huge storage hog, so I avoid storing video on the iPad and iPhone. I'm also not a gamer, so my storage needs on the iDevices can be easily contained within 16gb by some simple cleaning out apps (and their related data) which I end up not using.

For example, I can dump google earth and just download it again on the infrequent times that I may use it. You don't have to lug around every app that you have bought. You can erase it and reopen it from the App Store for free as you have already paid for it.

Currently I have 4gb available on the iPad and more on the iPhone.

I do use the iPad for Netflix, but that is not storage intensive, just an access function.

Last edited:

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Laptop: Macbook Pro 13 inch (Non Retina) 2012.
Desktop: Same as above with 23 inch monitor.
iPad: iPad 2 64 GB 3G
iPhone: iPhone 5 16GB
iPod: iPhone 3GS 32 GB
PPC Machine: iBook G4
Main 68K Machine: Macintosh Centris 650

Oakmhcky21

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2011
iPhone 6
iPad Mini 2 - college, mainly electronic text books
MacBook Pro retina 15" - basically a desktop, use it for school work and iTunes

I just got the MacBook pro and still have my 2010 11" MacBook Air, I have not decided what to do with it. I'm thinking of keeping it and using it for the days I want to bring a laptop to class for note taking and what not, much smaller than the pro, and I would not be nowhere near as worried about breaking it or it being stolen.

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2012
My combination changes on a weekly basis almost

Current:

Mac Pro 1,1 - usually run on 10.8.5 with MlPostfactor

Macbook Pro 2011 13 inch 240gb ssd 8gb ram Yosemite - first mac purchased my
personal laptop

Macbook Pro 2012 13 inch - work laptop original specs finally got it upgraded to Yosemite

Ipad 3rd Gen 16 gb running 8.1.3 - personal iPad for home use

Ipad 4th gen 32 gb running 8.1.3 - work iPad

Power Mac G3 B&W 400mhz with 1gb ram and 32mb graphics card - currently reinstalling os 9.2 and osx 10.4

Iphone 6 64gb 8.1.3 - personal phone and favourite apple product currently

I also have macs dating back to original Macintosh 128k upgraded to 512k and a ton of ppc machines

cairene2011

Dec 17, 2013
I went through different combinations as personal technology developed. All in all, my quest has always been to downsize and make my bags lighter.

2007-2011
15" MBP + iPod + Blackberry + Canon Point and Shoot

Before the age of the accessible smartphone, I had a 15" Macbook Pro and an iPod nano. I dragged the MBP everywhere, even backpacking through Thailand because it was my only means of connecting to the Internet.
In 2010 I combined it with a Blackberry that could access Facebook and eMails and that cut the instances in which I'd carry the MBP around almost in half. I also used to carry a separate Canon Point and Shoot, because the BB camera was abysmal in the day.

2011-2014
11" MBA + iPhone 4/later iPhone 5 16GB

I had enough of dragging around that MBP and was determined to make my university bag as light as possible. The MBA was amazing for note-taking in cramped lecture halls, watching movies in bed and traveling in general ... except for its piss poor battery life and the small, pixelated screen.
I also replaced my Blackberry, iPod and Canon Point and Shoot with the iPhone and it was frickin awesome to suddenly have only one device for so many purposes.

2014-today
13" rMBP + iPad mini Retina 16GB + iPhone 5 16GB

My best combination so far.

The 11" MBA's screen was too small and too pixelated for me in the end and so I had it mostly hooked up to an external monitor, never bothering to take it out of the house anymore. I added an iPad mini Retina last summer for reading and watching movies (since on the MBA these actions either strained my eyes or drained the battery like there was no tomorrow).

In January I then replaced the MBA with a 13" rMBP, which mostly stays at home unless it's really necessary for a specific out-of-the-house task.
The iPad mini now comes along to uni, work, vacations, coffee shops, flights etc when the rMBP would be overkill and the tiny iPhone screen isn't quite enough.
I was long contemplating to buy an iMac instead of the rMBP, but I was swayed by the portability factor, which is still important for me.

Unami

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
Austria
- hackintosh mac pro for serious work
- 13" mbp 2009 (with new 256 gb ssd) for quick work on the go the ipad can't handle (e.g. copying files from sd card to harddrive, making a quick video cut with proxy files) and for light work if i don't want to sit on my desk
-ipad air 2 64gb/cellular for surfing the web, e-mails, gaming, shopping, doing research
-iphone 4 for calls/notifications/messaging
-ipod touch 2g for audiobooks

i'd swap the iphone for an apple watch if that were possible.

irishtike

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2011
Right now, im using

a Iphone 5C as my phone,
a Nexus 7 as the tablet
and a Ipod Classic 4th gen for music.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
What device combination do you use?

1. comp - zenbook (it is a daily driver for a work and leisure), mbpr for a leisure
2. phone - one plus one for a work and leisure (daily driver)
3. tablet - galaxy note 10.1 for work things (sketching, noting and if i need to write a long text or writing html/code it works great with a bt mouse and keyboard) and air2 e.g. now for reading forums and surfing on net etc...
4. minix neo x8h - movies, xbmc, surfing, writing/coding etc...
5. smartwatch (sony) - it was paired with note10.1 but now with oneplusone. i dont need always to take my phone from the pocket to check things... (e.g. in heavy raining, snowing, when biking or what ever. much easier to check your wrist.)

im considering to get sp3/4 when it is released with the broawell architecture to replace the jumping between a laptop and a tablet. but it all depends on the specs...

KadMac

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2009
I used to have an iPad 3 but I sold it recently. After I got my iPhone 6 Plus, I just didn't use my iPad that much and it was way slower than my iPhone, of course.

Now my setup consists of:

• iPhone 6 Plus 16GB
  • MacBook Air 11" 2011 model
  • Custom built PC - i7, GTX 580, 16GB RAM

The MacBook Air is nice but I sometimes wonder if I should have just got the iPad Air 2 with a bluetooth keyboard.

Dd5577

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2014
Colorado
Quite a few!

Late 2013 27" iMac (3.5g i7, 1tb flash drive, 780m 4gb video card, 32gb ram)

Late 2013 13" MacBook Pro (2.8g i7, 512gb flash drive, 16gb ram)

iPad Air 2 (Space Grey, 64gb, WiFi + LTE Verizon)

iPhone 6, 64gb Space Grey, Verizon (Personal use)

iPhone 5s, 64 gb Space Grey, Verizon (Business use)

Next month I will be ordering a Mac Mini with a solid state drive, i7 processor, and 16 gb of ram. It will replace my HP desktop, that I currently have connected to 4 monitors, and finally found the time to figure out how to push the 4 monitors with a Mac Mini (it will be my only Mac running Windows, since the program I HAVE to run is not supported by Mac).

My wife has:

iPhone 6, 64gb Space Grey, Verizon

iPad Mini 2, 64gb Space Grey, WiFi + LTE, Verizon (she will be replacing it with the iPad Mini 3 with the same specs next week. She is better off with the finger print scanner for the work she does.)

I just ordered her a MacBook Air (1.7g i7, 256gb flash drive, 8gb ram) This will be replacing her HP Laptop.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Can't remember if I posted...

But mine is:

Mac: 13 Inch 2012 cMPB - 2.5 GHZ i5, 8GB Ram, 1 TB HD (Yosemite)

Secondary Mac: 13 Inch 2008 MB - 2.4 GHZ C2D, 256 GB SSD (Lion)

iPad: iPad 2 - 64 GB 3G (iOS 8)

iPhone: iPhone 5 - 16 GB (iOS 8)

iPod: iPhone 3GS - 32 GB (iOS 6)

EDIT: OOPS I posted on this page already!

east85

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
I tend to travel with the following devices, all of which are crucial to my workflow:

1. Canon Rebel T5.
2. 2x AT&T Unite Hotspots w/unlimited LTE Data + 35dbi booster
3. 2x USB Solar Chargers
4. 6,000w Inverter
5. iPhone 4S + iPad Mini, both equipped with Lifeproof cases
6. MacBook Unibody 5,1 (see signature for details)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.