Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
I have a small device to convert cassette tapes to mp3's. The device will only record to a DOS formatted USB Stick. Will my Yosemite iMac recognize the mp3 on the DOS formatted USB Stick once I have recorded the cassette to mp3?

Bomb Bloke

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2015
Tasmania (AU)
Pssst, it's FAT, not DOS!

Indeed, Yosemite should have no trouble reading or writing to the stick, and iTunes should be able to handle the MP3s.

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
The device says it will record a MP3 copy of the playing cassette. And place the mp3 on the DOS formatted USB stick.

However, it doesn't. I erased and formatted the sub stick as FAT (as you say), but nothing shows on the stick following playing the cassette. I tested the cassette on a cassette player and it is loud and rich. It ain't the cassette.

Damn,:confused: there has to be a way to get cassettes to MP3 that works.

Bomb Bloke

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2015
Tasmania (AU)
Odds are your cassette player has a headphone socket. You could use a double-ended 3.5mil jack to connect that to the line-in socket available on most Macs, then use the QuickTime Player's audio recording functionality.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
If you're formatting the stick on a Mac then you'll need to check that you're using MBR partitioning (under "Options" in Disk Utility); some devices don't support the default GPT partitioning system.

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
Odds are your cassette player has a headphone socket. You could use a double-ended 3.5mil jack to connect that to the line-in socket available on most Macs, then use the QuickTime Player's audio recording functionality.

Is there a line-in plug on a 14,2 iMac, I only see a headphone plug, three usb and two thunderbolt plugs.

Gawd, I'd love to play the cassette into the iMac, I could record w WaveTap. But I'm not sure it's possible with no line-in plug.

----------

If you're formatting the stick on a Mac then you'll need to check that you're using MBR partitioning (under "Options" in Disk Utility); some devices don't support the default GPT partitioning system.

Thanks for the tip, I will check. I did not think about the partition designation.

DJLC

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
North Carolina
Is there a line-in plug on a 14,2 iMac, I only see a headphone plug, three usb and two thunderbolt plugs.

Gawd, I'd love to play the cassette into the iMac, I could record w WaveTap. But I'm not sure it's possible with no line-in plug.

----------

Thanks for the tip, I will check. I did not think about the partition designation.

IIRC your headphone port doubles as a line-in.

Bomb Bloke

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2015
Tasmania (AU)
If I Remember Correctly.

And indeed, most Macs that only have a single "headphone" jack will use it as either a line-in or a line-out socket depending on what you plug into it.

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
If I Remember Correctly.

And indeed, most Macs that only have a single "headphone" jack will use it as either a line-in or a line-out socket depending on what you plug into it.

I tried this with a cassette player. It didn't work. However, maybe I didn't have Sound input set correctly. Or maybe it involves the Utility midi audio for some reason. But I did try to play into the iMac and it didn't work, for now

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
I told you already i DONT HAVE LINE IN. Just a headphone out on this new fangled latest brand new iMac.

Has anyone converted tape cassettes to mp3 files within the last year on a Macintosh? I don't want suggestions. I only want someone that has actually done it to respond.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

What you want to do isn't all that difficult.

As others have mentioned above, it's a matter of connecting the cassette player's "line out" to the Mac's "input".

The headphone jack on the Mac can also double as your input.
You need to set this up with the "sound" preference pane.

Another way to do this is by using something like the Griffin "iMic":
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...hnology_GC16035_iMic_USB_Audio_Interface.html

The iMic plugs into a USB port, and it has an input to which you can connect the cassette player.

To do the actual recording, you could use an audio app such as:
- Quicktime
- GarageBand
- Audacity
.... and other apps.

If you have GarageBand, I'd try that, as it makes "splitting" one continuous track down into "songs" easy.

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
OP:

What you want to do isn't all that difficult.

As others have mentioned above, it's a matter of connecting the cassette player's "line out" to the Mac's "input".

The headphone jack on the Mac can also double as your input.
You need to set this up with the "sound" preference pane.

Another way to do this is by using something like the Griffin "iMic":

There is no line in on a new mac, and the headphone jack does not work as an in line. Where do you get all this? Do you just dream it up?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote:
[[ There is no line in on a new mac, and the headphone jack does not work as an in line. Where do you get all this? Do you just dream it up? ]]

I actually had to check the latest-and-greatest Apple stuff on their page -- and you are right, the latest round of iMacs (perhaps MacBooks, too) seem to have only a one-way sound port. This is fairly recent, for a long time it was a "two-way" port.

In that case, look at this link I provided in post 15 above:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...hnology_GC16035_iMic_USB_Audio_Interface.html

Plug the iMic into your USB port.
Plug the output from the cassette player into the input port on the iMic.
Select the iMic as your input device in the Sound pref pane.
This should now serve as your input, but you will have to set up your software to "see it".

I did a very quick search, and found this on Ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-Analog-...-Support-MP3-WMA-WAV-OGG-Format-/120906750229
(the ebay page says it works with Macs. I will -guess- that the included software is Windows-only, but that doesn't matter. What DOES matter is that it provides you with a selectable input via "Sound" pref pane. If you've got that, any Mac app that handles audio should be able to use it.)

There must be other analog-to-digital USB converters out there as well.

ixxx69

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2009
United States
In that case, look at this link I provided in post 15 above:

Plug the iMic into your USB port.
Plug the output from the cassette player into the input port on the iMic.
Select the iMic as your input device in the Sound pref pane.
This should now serve as your input, but you will have to set up your software to "see it".
It's been a few years, but I used the Griffin with my Mac, and it worked great.

"USB Audio Adapters" are available for as little as US$8 on Amazon, many of which are highly rated and compatible with Macs.

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
OP wrote:
[[ There is no line in on a new mac, and the headphone jack does not work as an in line. Where do you get all this? Do you just dream it up? ]]

I actually had to check the latest-and-greatest Apple stuff on their page -- and you are right,

That's because you have no idea what you are talking about and I would appreciate it if you would help someone else.

AGAIN, I don't want any suggestions, I want someone that actually SUCCESSFULLY converted cassettes to MP3 within the past year ONLY.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote:
[[ That's because you have no idea what you are talking about and I would appreciate it if you would help someone else. ]]

And dyt also wrote:
[[ Yeah, that was all suggested and ignored in an earlier thread. You just can't help some. ]]

The OP will get no more help from me. I saw my error, admitted it, and offered a workaround. He ignores it.

I doubt he'll get much help from anyone else here, either.

OP -- as you wish, so long, pal!

wlossw

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2012
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Perhaps usig a different cable will yield better results. I know that modern macs have the same audio jack as iPhones and iPads. Perhaps a stereo plus mic adapter is in order?

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
The iMic worked. Had to indicate in system prefs that the iMic is the sound INPUT. PLUS I had to remember to TURN UP the Input Volume once the iMic is chosen. I chose LINE on the side of the iMic. Plugged my cassette players headphone line into the iMic IN. Then connected the iMic USB plug to a USB port on my iMac. My iMac 14,2 immediately saw the iMic device. $29 at Amazon.

There is also another device that works, I bought it as well on my journey to figure out how to do all this if one follows the user instructions carefully. The QFX model J-22U Portable Radio Cassette Recorder contains an MP3 recorder. It works as long as you format the uDisk to DOS. $39 at Walmart.

I am recording the MP3's and immediately importing them into Audacity (free).
In Audacity, one can remove pops, and edit as needed. YouTube contains videos on how to edit mid tunes smoothly. Then exporting either as several tracks or one track for iTunes12.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.