Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scjr

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2013
I'm posting several better pics of the Dry Ice (Foggy Clear) ZooGue Social Pro case, with my gold iPhone 6+.

It's really a super case for the price and to me it's an incredible value. Very nice grip, it fits like a glove and is noticeably thinner than my Magpul. The fingerprint resistant matte finish is nice as well. I've been using it the last few days and giving my Magpul a rest.

It's worth noting, the buttons have improved over the last few days of use and are easier to press. Are they Magpul like? No, but they aren't bad at all.

I read a Tim Angel post on Slick Deals and he said they improved the buttons early on after receiving feedback. Still not clicky like the Magpul, but definitely usable in my opinion.

image.jpg7_zpsfcqugvou.jpg
image.jpg1_zpsxx2fmdcr.jpg
image.jpg2_zpsebhdufbf.jpg
image.jpg5_zpsykbcki0p.jpg
image.jpg3_zpshjxlangz.jpg
image.jpg4_zps7ilbaxqt.jpg
image.jpg6_zpsvitdsrdx.jpg
image.jpg1_zpsqz0p0tvu.jpg

Last edited:

Ourphones

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2015
Some careful X-Acto work on the Zoogue buttons can provide more response. A small slit to the left and right recess of the buttons.

Magpul buttons are the gold standard of click. It's due in part to generous space around the molded buttons.

Have you had the candyshell gripe and/or Thule atmos x?
If yes, how are buttons compared to the Magpul?

scjr

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2013
Have you had the candyshell gripe and/or Thule atmos x?
If yes, how are buttons compared to the Magpul?

I should have my CandyShell Grip in a few days. I can compare the Magpul and CS Grip buttons when it arrives. The Magpul buttons are super responsive and clicky.

ricktat

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2013
I bought 3 last week.

2 fit really well and the buttons are ok. Not good or bad.

1 has a terrible fit. Very strecthed out but the buttons are perfect. :cool:

Worth it for an under $10 case

6thDAY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
I bought 3 last week.

2 fit really well and the buttons are ok. Not good or bad.

1 has a terrible fit. Very strecthed out but the buttons are perfect. :cool:

Worth it for an under $10 case

I didn't notice the deal in time, and bought it for $9+, but hopefully it'll be a good case to replace my DualPro

scjr

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2013
I didn't notice the deal in time, and bought it for $9+, but hopefully it'll be a good case to replace my DualPro

I bought the Foggy Clear a few weeks back for $10. I think it's worth it even at that price. Mine fits very snug. My expectation is the cases I ordered will be the same. If not, ZooGue has excellent service.

JohnKay

macrumors member
May 26, 2014
Rancho Palos Verdes, CA
Just received my frost case for the 6+. Considerably lighter and thinner than my current Magpul case. Volume and power button are considerably tighter to push than Magpul but still a highly functional and good looking case. Will probably buy another one when the next sale occurs.

scjr

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2013
Just received my frost case for the 6+. Considerably lighter and thinner than my current Magpul case. Volume and power button are considerably tighter to push than Magpul but still a highly functional and good looking case. Will probably buy another one when the next sale occurs.

Nice!

Give it a few days of use with the buttons. They've seemed to have loosened up some for me.

6thDAY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
I just got my red zoogue, and needless to say, I am fairly disappointed. I ordered it through Amazon.

There seems to be un-removable water spots (or something else) all over the case.

I have contacted the owner via email. Let's see if he can send me a replacement. :(

Attachments

• IMG_0047.JPG
    IMG_0047.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_0048.JPG
    IMG_0048.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_0049.JPG
    IMG_0049.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 127

scjr

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2013
I just got my red zoogue, and needless to say, I am fairly disappointed. I ordered it through Amazon.

There seems to be un-removable water spots (or something else) all over the case.

I have contacted the owner via email. Let's see if he can send me a replacement. :(

That is odd. Did it come in a small ZooGue box or Amazon packaging?

I'm sure he'll take care of you and send out a replacement.

6thDAY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
That is odd. Did it come in a small ZooGue box or Amazon packaging?

I'm sure he'll take care of you and send out a replacement.

Packaging envelop as well as box has Zoogue branding. I do have to say it is a pretty nice case, but hopefully I can get a replacement that is clean.

I contacted them through Amazon. I read success on here with contacting the owner, so I contacted him as well.

scjr

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2013
Packaging envelop as well as box has Zoogue branding. I do have to say it is a pretty nice case, but hopefully I can get a replacement that is clean.

I contacted them through Amazon. I read success on here with contacting the owner, so I contacted him as well.

The case is really nice and a steal for the price.

I watched owner help his customers on Slick Deals forum. He seems to be hands on. Let us know how it goes.

----------

if you check Amazon, they are typically under $30. I got one for $19.99.

Love the case

I picked one up for $19.97 shipped, during Specks 50% off flash sale. I bought another color today for $22.50 shipped. FieldingMellish picked up a couple the other day for around $44 shipped.

Around $20 or so shipped and this case intrigues me, because of feedback like yours. At $40 a case, I was less intrigued.

6thDAY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
The case is really nice and a steal for the price.

I watched owner help his customers on Slick Deals forum. He seems to be hands on. Let us know how it goes.

----------

I picked one up for $19.97 shipped, during Specks 50% off flash sale. I bought another color today for $22.50 shipped. FieldingMellish picked up a couple the other day for around $44 shipped.

Around $20 or so shipped and this case intrigues me, because of feedback like yours. At $40 a case, I was less intrigued.

Got an email from Amazon within a couple of hours after sending the issue. Owner says he will send a replacement out "ASAP". Hopefully tomorrow. In the mean time, I'll just temporarily use this one for now :)

scjr

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2013
Got an email from Amazon within a couple of hours after sending the issue. Owner says he will send a replacement out "ASAP". Hopefully tomorrow. In the mean time, I'll just temporarily use this one for now :)

Good deal! :)

How do you like the case thus far?

6thDAY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
Good deal! :)

How do you like the case thus far?

The texture in the back feels really "dry". I'm not sure what the word for it is. I thought it'd be a more smoother finish, but I like it :)

I thought the lip was going to take more of the glass space, to fill the gap of my glass protector, but it seems the lip only goes a little bit over the glass, as can be seen in the picture. The top and bottom fill the gap, but the sides fell a bit short, but its ok.

My Incipio DualPro did a better job of closing in on the gap, in fact, closing in too tight that it lifted the corner of the protector and created a bubble.

The Zoogue, although it's pretty close, doesn't bubble up my protector. :)

Attachments

• IMG_0051.JPG
    IMG_0051.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_0052.JPG
    IMG_0052.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 127

scjr

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2013
The texture in the back feels really "dry". I'm not sure what the word for it is. I thought it'd be a more smoother finish, but I like it :)

I thought the lip was going to take more of the glass space, to fill the gap of my glass protector, but it seems the lip only goes a little bit over the glass, as can be seen in the picture. The top and bottom fill the gap, but the sides fell a bit short, but its ok.

My Incipio DualPro did a better job of closing in on the gap, in fact, closing in too tight that it lifted the corner of the protector and created a bubble.

The Zoogue, although it's pretty close, doesn't bubble up my protector. :)

Nice review! :)

It definitely has a lip/lay on table design. I don't think the lip lays inward toward the screen like some others. Good to read it isn't lifting up your protector.

I like your description of a "dry finish". Definitely makes it more grippy, that resists finger prints and good for sweatier hands. The patterns on the side help with grip as well.

kgenova

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2013
Nice review! :)

It definitely has a lip/lay on table design. I don't think the lip lays inward toward the screen like some others. Good to read it isn't lifting up your protector.

I like your description of a "dry finish". Definitely makes it more grippy, that resists finger prints and good for sweatier hands. The patterns on the side help with grip as well.
Out of curiosity, is it 'dry' like the Tech 21 Tactical case's finish? I always liked the feel of that finish...

Kristin

tops2

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2014
I received mine today. I guess with all the positive comments, I wasn't as wowed by it.

The texture, to me, is a bit dry/gritty/chalky/dusty feel to me. It offers some grip, but it as much as I expected. I don't have full confidence using this phone one handed, when compared to the Speck CandyShell Grip.

The case is nice and thin and slim. The ribbed sides is the main nice feature to me. There is a slight lip.

The main negative for me is the case feels a bit flimsy. The sides of mine feels like there's a lot of give and doesn't fit tightly on the phone.

I'll probably need to use this case exclusively for a few days to see if it'll grow on me.

For the price, it's a decent case. It seems to provide scratch protection, and maybe drops from not too high up.

scjr

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2013
IThe main negative for me is the case feels a bit flimsy. The sides of mine feels like there's a lot of give and doesn't fit tightly on the phone.

Mine fits tightly. No give on the sides or any place else. I would definitely contact ZooGue and have them send a replacement.

When comparing it to the CandyShell, keep in mind that case is super snugly. Judging by videos of folks installing it, possibly one of the tightest fits of all cases. TPU cases, for the most part, won't come close to fitting that well. Wish it worked out better for you.

I have a CandyShell Grip on the way, so maybe soon I'll think all other cases are obsolete. Who knows? :D

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
I'll probably love the Candyshell grip. By the same token, the Magpul is like a happy medium between CS Grip and Zoogue Social Pro. Magpul is easy to put on and take off. It's got its sandblast-like feel with molded ribs for grip. And all that other good stuff people have reviewed.

Social Pro was my first case while waiting for the phone to arrive. Other cases have come and gone and some are gripper than it, some are less. But for whatever reason, Social Pro will remain in my rotation.

tops2

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2014
For all the talk about whether or not headphone "burning in" makes headphones sound better... I guess I had a "case burning in".

I left the Zoogue at work and went home with not a wow'ed impression of it. Came to work this morning and put the Zoogue on and had a much better impression.

The sides aren't as loose as my first impression. I guess scjr mentioned, I'm coming from CandyShell Grip and a few other cases with more rigid sides.

The texture, while still has that dry/dusty feel, doesn't feel "dirty" to me today. The sides are obviously grippy, but the back doesn't slide around that much when I balance it on my fingers when using one handed.

The only real drawback to me now is the buttons. Its not the worst responsiveness of all my cases, but compared to my currenty favorites (CandyShell Grip and Ringke Fusion), its considerably harder to press. Hopefully with more use it'll loosen up.

Overall, the case has already grown on me a bit. I like it much better than I did yesterday. For now, I'll probably switch back between the Zoogue and the Ringke Fusion as the daily driver... The CandyShell Grip will be used for weekends and road trips.

I'm glad I'm finally down to 3 cases that I like and hopefully this is the last case I buy.. =P

Last edited:

scjr

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2013
For all the talk about whether or not headphone "burning in" makes headphones sound better... I guess I had a "case burning in".

I left the Zoogue at work and went home with not a wow'ed impression of it. Came to work this morning and put the Zoogue on and had a much better impression.

The sides aren't as loose as my first impression. I guess scjr mentioned, I'm coming from CandyShell Grip and a few other cases with more rigid sides.

The texture, while still has that dry/dusty feel, doesn't feel "dirty" to me today. The sides are obviously grippy, but the back doesn't slide around that much when I balance it on my fingers when using one handed.

The only real drawback to me now is the buttons. Its not the worst responsiveness of all my cases, but compared to my currenty favorites (CandyShell Grip and Ringke Fusion), its considerably harder to press. Hopefully with more use it'll loosen up.

Overall, the case has already grown on me a bit. I like it much better than I did yesterday. For now, I'll probably switch back between the Zoogue and the Ringke Fusion as the daily driver... The CandyShell Grip will be used for weekends and road trips.

I'm glad I'm finally down to 3 cases that I like and hopefully this is the last case I buy.. =P

I'm glad it's growing on you. The buttons will loosen up over time. They have for me.

Installing the CandyShell Grip myself, I could see why you thought the ZooGue was loose. My Magpul now feels loose compared to my CS Grip. :eek:

The CS Grip is incredibly tight, in a good way. I've never installed a case that had a tighter fit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.