Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SBruv

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2008
Hey all,

Absolutely NOT trying to start anything major with this, but I've noticed that looking down the edges of my iPad Air 2, it appears to be very, very slightly curved on all four planes. You can't tell looking at it straight on to see it –*you have to really line the edges up with your eye.

Anyone else, or am I just lucky? :)

S_B

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2008
I had one very bent straight out the box, but I think that was just unlucky. The one it was swapped out for has very slight curves as you described, but it doesn't rock on a table like my first one did.

I'd say the slight curvature is normal and nothing to worry about. ;)

SBruv

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2008
I had one very bent straight out the box, but I think that was just unlucky. The one it was swapped out for has very slight curves as you described, but it doesn't rock on a table like my first one did.

I'd say the slight curvature is normal and nothing to worry about. ;)

Wow, you actually got a bent one - crazy!

Yeah, I'm inclined to agree. As long as it's not actually rocking, I can't see it being a problem. The price of extreme thinness, I guess.

FrankB1191

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2013
Pennsylvania
My Air 2 arrived with a very slight curve upward, along its length. I put my thumbs on the back to see if it could be bent, and it does flex. I applied just enough pressure to get a slight bit of flex, but an even greater amount of pressure had zero effect on my Air 1.

I'm not looking for faults with the Air 2. The curve upward was easy for my eye to spot, and the amount of pressure required to flex the tablet was quite low. I applied greater pressure, and there seems to be a point at which the flexing stops. The pressure was only applied to the back of the tablet, and not the screen.

These is not an issue for me yet. I like the laminated display very much, so....

FrankB1191

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2013
Pennsylvania
Okay... Using daylight, a dead flat surface, and a drafting straight edge, I looked at my Air 2 and Air 1 again this morning. The Air 1 has a much greater curve along its length than the Air 2. Both tablets have a concave bend toward the screen. In my living room last night, the Air 1 did not seem to flex, but it quite clearly flexes to just about the same degree as my Air 2.

I've used my Air 1 without a case since last December, and I'll assume it's always been like this; I've never sat on it. I thought I'd have to put the Air 2 in a case, but it's more flat than the Air 1, so I'll just use a Smart Cover for now.
What a relief. I woke up this morning, thinking I'd have to debate returning the Air 2 this weekend. The bend in the Air 1 has quieted the voices in my head. :D

SBruv

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2008
Okay... Using daylight, a dead flat surface, and a drafting straight edge, I looked at my Air 2 and Air 1 again this morning. The Air 1 has a much greater curve along its length than the Air 2. Both tablets have a concave bend toward the screen. In my living room last night, the Air 1 did not seem to flex, but it quite clearly flexes to just about the same degree as my Air 2.

I've used my Air 1 without a case since last December, and I'll assume it's always been like this; I've never sat on it. I thought I'd have to put the Air 2 in a case, but it's more flat than the Air 1, so I'll just use a Smart Cover for now.
What a relief. I woke up this morning, thinking I'd have to debate returning the Air 2 this weekend. The bend in the Air 1 has quieted the voices in my head. :D

No, I certainly don't reckon this is a 'return' issue –*they're all going to be the same.

What does slightly bother me, though, is the subtle dirty pink tint on the left hand side of the screen on my Air 2 and all of the display models in my local Apple Store.

Ah well.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
I noticed a LOT of the display units at the Apple store had this slight concave curve today. To check, hold your iPad so that you are looking down along the chamfered edge at a slight angle, like how you might look down the body of a car looking for bad bodywork etc. If you look at the edges straight on from a perpendicular perspective, you won't see it, but look down along the edge and youll see it right away if you have it

Billy95Tech

Suspended
Apr 18, 2014
I worry if my iPad Air 2 gets bent after a couple months of use, due to the very thin form factor(6.1mm).

Really hope it won't happen!!!!

mconk

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2009
Virginia
Lay it down flat on a table, camera up, and push on the four corners. If you get any wiggle, it's bent.

mconk

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2009
Virginia
Can you guys post photos of this? Or would it not be visible in a photo? I've never seen a bent iPad. Not to say it's impossible, I just personally haven't seen it.

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
Are you saying the glass/screen is "bent", or the aluminum back?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.