Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I got my XPS 13 today. The trackpad's awesome. The screen would be, too, if it didn't have Mura (white dots, just like my 15" rMBP), so it's DOA.

The form factor is insanely great.

However, what's NOT great is the cooling system. It's not the placement of the grill - it's the simple fact that on the i7 model I have, the fan runs PERMANENTLY at medium to high setting. It's so insanely loud, forget about using this in a quiet office, a classroom or a library. I thought I had a defective one, but nope - lots of owners seem to be complaining about it. Why the reviewers all are saying it's quiet beats me. I've never had a laptop that was this loud.

Complete and utter fail -> goes back tomorrow.

Dell has a long history of fan control issues with their laptops. I'm not bashing them, I've been a customer since almost Day One. It's common to see Dell go through a dozen revisions of the BIOS to try to balance temps and performance.

kis

Suspended
Aug 10, 2007
Switzerland
Dell has a long history of fan control issues with their laptops. I'm not bashing them, I've been a customer since almost Day One. It's common to see Dell go through a dozen revisions of the BIOS to try to balance temps and performance.

Probably true, but I think I might have jumped to conclusions here - today, it's fairly quiet. On the charger, the fan speeds up on falsh-heavy websites (which my former MBA also did), other than that it's quiet. On battery, it's completely silent. Windows was probably indexing yesterday after I'd installed all the updates.

If only it didn't have that darn white dot on the display :-/

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Probably true, but I think I might have jumped to conclusions here - today, it's fairly quiet. On the charger, the fan speeds up on falsh-heavy websites (which my former MBA also did), other than that it's quiet. On battery, it's completely silent. Windows was probably indexing yesterday after I'd installed all the updates.

If only it didn't have that darn white dot on the display :-/

Here's hoping this one's not affected. It's not the kind of thing that should need multiple BIOS tweaks *after* the computer is released. :rolleyes: And maybe the new Dell will be...a new Dell. Choice and competition are good.

mellofello

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2011
Found myself in the Microsoft store again today. Came damn close to telling the clerk to throw one in the bag. They only had the higher end model though. Think I want the 1080p. No use for touch and battery is paramount.

Apple really needs to announce the new Mac book my credit card is itchy.

kis

Suspended
Aug 10, 2007
Switzerland
Here's hoping this one's not affected. It's not the kind of thing that should need multiple BIOS tweaks *after* the computer is released. :rolleyes: And maybe the new Dell will be...a new Dell. Choice and competition are good.

I returned mine because of the white blotch / mura. Waiting for it to become available again so I can order another one. I only had it over the weekend, but it was one of the best darn notebook computers I've ever used. Great trackpad, awesome screen, very quiet (once Windows is done installing updates and indexing), extremely small footprint and excellent build quality.

lagout

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2015
Sent mine back

Just sent mine back, the trackpad on it was awful, or more it was awful on anything that was not Windows based, the behaviour of gestures changes from app to app to the point where two finger scrolling would not even work in Sublime Text 3. It was unresponsive on chrome when loading pages and then would be jittery, Firefox showed the same symptoms and even decided to switch to zooming constantly on two finger scroll gestures that made it unusable. For a web developer who performs cross browser testing it was a no brainer sending it back. Its a shame really because everything else about it was quite wonderful.

frank.deale

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2010
I love Macs but just got the base model for my wife who is a PC user, needs a laptop, and for whom the learning curve on a Mac would be too steep. I wouldn't get it for myself but I think it is brilliant for her.

englishman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2006
... for my wife who is a PC user, ... for whom the learning curve on a Mac would be too steep...

er you cannot be serious? What will she be doing on it?

There are good arguments for non Apple laptops but for most users I would have thought learning curve is not one of them - unless shes a Windows developer or admin.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
My opinion probably won't count for much since I have been a Windows user for as long as I have been using computers, but I received the touchscreen version of this laptop last week and I am loving it! I've always sort of envied the sleekness, portability, and craftsmanship of the MBA and have been waiting for years for a Windows counterpart. The Dell XPS 13 is the Windows MBA equivalent I've been looking for, and with some extra perks too like the gorgeous borderless display which allows it to have a considerably smaller footprint that other 13" notebooks. The trackpad is nothing to write home about and I can see how it might seem "bad" to a mac user, but I find it to be acceptable. It's a shame that going with the QHD+ display means sacrificing battery life, but I'm plugged in 95% of the time anyway, and I find that I can get 8 - 9 hours of use, which isn't bad.

Bottomline: This notebook is like a super high-def touchscreen MBA built to run Windows.

cheesyappleuser

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011
Portugal
Well, it does look amazing, and it definitely is a direct competitor to any Mac laptop.
Sadly, I fall on what many people said already: trackpad, bugless environment, all those little things are pretty polished when using Apple products, and that never happens on Windows; you can always find a flaw here and there.
So, it might be the best Windows laptop for a while, but overall I don't think it can surpass the Mac.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
So auto brightness might be responsible for the wildly differing claims of battery life? I've seen some as low as 7 hours.

I think it's just a matter of different usage. When I'm running on battery, I use my laptop as conservatively as possible; in battery saver mode, brightness set as low as I can tolerate, etc. I've managed to get a little over 9 hours with that kind of usage, but I can easily see that dropping to 7 with heavier use. That's true of any device.

kis

Suspended
Aug 10, 2007
Switzerland
Just sent mine back, the trackpad on it was awful, or more it was awful on anything that was not Windows based, the behaviour of gestures changes from app to app to the point where two finger scrolling would not even work in Sublime Text 3. It was unresponsive on chrome when loading pages and then would be jittery, Firefox showed the same symptoms and even decided to switch to zooming constantly on two finger scroll gestures that made it unusable. For a web developer who performs cross browser testing it was a no brainer sending it back. Its a shame really because everything else about it was quite wonderful.

Well, the trackpad is just fine, it's the 3rd party app that suck. Works awesome on IE but sucks on Chrome - just like any other trackpad. Don't know why Google can't finally make this work.

SmOgER

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2014
I have a feeling the top lid and palmrest of that ultrabook, which are supposedly made of carbon fiber, will flex like heck, just like on the VAIO P 11/13. I've yet to see an ultrabook as sturdy as Air (admittedly asus UX32 comes close), so my interest in them usually ends shortly after touching them.

Last edited:

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
I have a feeling the top lid and palmrest of that ultrabook, which are supposedly made of carbon fiber, will flex like heck, just like on the VAIO P 11/13. I've yet to see an ultrabook as sturdy as Air (admittedly asus UX32 comes close), so my interest in them usually ends shortly after touching them.

Actually, it's pretty darn solid. I probably does yield a bit more flex than the totally aluminum MBA, but it feels nice and that doesn't mean that it's not sturdy.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Well, it does look amazing, and it definitely is a direct competitor to any Mac laptop.
Sadly, I fall on what many people said already: trackpad, bugless environment, all those little things are pretty polished when using Apple products, and that never happens on Windows; you can always find a flaw here and there.
So, it might be the best Windows laptop for a while, but overall I don't think it can surpass the Mac.

Another issue for people who want to edit photos on the laptop: currently, you can't turn off the dynamic screen brightness adjustment, which makes accurately editing photos essentially impossible. Dell will presumably fix that, although they apparently haven't yet.

kis

Suspended
Aug 10, 2007
Switzerland
There's absolutely zero flex, it's built like a tank.

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
There's no comparison to Macs. All ultrabooks will always have subpar quality, functionality and reliability. Plus, they run Windows POS OS. Better spend your hard earned money on a perfect mac rather than unreliable, poorly quality ultrabooks.

Actually, I have a Lenovo machine that is considered an ultrabook that is actually a very nice machine (had to have it for some work-related apps). The machine shipped with a core i7, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, nVidia GT745m w/ 2GB dedicated RAM, and touchscreen. It's only slightly larger than my rMBP, and weighs almost the same. Also, there's no such thing as a "perfect" computer or OS...

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
Apple must be revealing the 12" retina Air on Monday, as Dell and HP already have an ultrabook out :eek:

Apple made phones with bigger screens YEARS after every other company was doing it.

In general they are not extremely concerned with what the competition is doing.

englishman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2006
Damn just bought one 13" this week - I must be the only one who wishes there are no updates then - although I guess I could still return it but will be a hassle

Last edited:

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Damn just bought one this week - I must be the only one who wishes there are no updates then - although I guess I could still return it but will be a hassle

You are in the return window. Think of it as a hedge. I actually bought an 11" MBA yesterday exactly for that reason - as a hedge. I paid $775 for an unused open box 256/8. If nothing happens, I'll probably keep it. If there's a refresh, I'll look at how significant it is and how much it'll cost.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Damn just bought one this week - I must be the only one who wishes there are no updates then - although I guess I could still return it but will be a hassle
Just a few more days to find out... or not. There may not be an announcement on Monday.

You are in the return window. Think of it as a hedge. I actually bought an 11" MBA yesterday exactly for that reason - as a hedge. I paid $775 for an unused open box 256/8. If nothing happens, I'll probably keep it. If there's a refresh, I'll look at how significant it is and how much it'll cost.
Very nice price. Good reasoning. Plus, if the rumors are true and the new MBA is a 12" with no ports, then that 11" will probably be in greater demand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.