Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cogsworth

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 7, 2015
After searching for weeks for the perfect case (I'm sure many of you can sympathize) I've finally settled on the awesome Evutec Osprey SI for my iPhone 6+. I've had it for a couple of weeks now so I can share some of my thoughts on it.

This case is the Karbon SI (Slim Impact) version, which means it has a shock absorbing TPU liner fused with Evutec's signature woven Kevlar shell. They also make the Karbon S (Slim) which is just the rigid snap-on shell for those who prefer a more minimal case. The woven finish is quite beautiful and looks like carbon fiber, although it's actually Kevlar. Mine is the Osprey grey and black color.

Despite being quite protective the case is surprisingly slim, I would say it's not much more bulky than the Apple leather case which I was using before this one. Unlike the Apple case, this one has been drop-tested to meet MIL-STD 810G-516.6 standards and covers all sides including the bottom. It has a nice lip to protect the screen when placed face-down, a feature that's pretty much standard these days.

The fit is perfect, snug but still easy to take off. The phone does not move inside the case. All openings line up perfectly. The buttons are covered and feel a little stiff but still have a nice tactile response. The matt finish feels great in the hand and offers more grip than the naked iPhone though I wish it was just a little tackier. It does however slide in and out of my pocket easily and does not collect lint or fingerprints.

A little pricey but definitely a keeper!

Reactions: THE JUICEMAN

Cogsworth

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 7, 2015
that wee-bit piece by the lightning port looks like it'll break within weeks...

Yes that part above the lightning port is a little thin but it seems pretty tough, from the feel of it I can't imagine it breaking or stretching out over time. I'm not worried about it. :cool:

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
Case looks pretty slick! That logo on the back reminds me of blackberry a little lol. Also, at the bottom of the logo is there a tear?

Again case looks good! I like the kevlar finish.

FtrV8

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2009
How is this case holding up? Is it a very tight fit?

Thinking for snagging one up for my 6SP, not sure if the fitment would be too tight.

Cogsworth

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 7, 2015
Case looks pretty slick! That logo on the back reminds me of blackberry a little lol. Also, at the bottom of the logo is there a tear?

Again case looks good! I like the kevlar finish.

Sorry I never replied to this...actually what looks like a "tear" in the logo is part of the design. That one shape is meant to look like a leaf.

Cogsworth

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 7, 2015
How is this case holding up? Is it a very tight fit?

Thinking for snagging one up for my 6SP, not sure if the fitment would be too tight.

The case has been holding up great although I do rotate it with a couple other cases. It is snug but not a super tight fit, for me it is just right. I also have a Speck Candyshell "Luxury Inked" that is a much tighter fit, and it's a real pain to install and remove. The Evutec is much easier than the Candyshell.

I can highly recommend the Evutec, and I've been through quite a few cases!

FtrV8

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2009
The case has been holding up great although I do rotate it with a couple other cases. It is snug but not a super tight fit, for me it is just right. I also have a Speck Candyshell "Luxury Inked" that is a much tighter fit, and it's a real pain to install and remove. The Evutec is much easier than the Candyshell.

I can highly recommend the Evutec, and I've been through quite a few cases!
Thank you! I want to pull the trigger, but having qualms about the fit on the 6SP. Not sure if that 1mm is that much of a difference for fitment.

Cogsworth

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 7, 2015
Thank you! I want to pull the trigger, but having qualms about the fit on the 6SP. Not sure if that 1mm is that much of a difference for fitment.
People keep talking about the size difference but I'm not sure it's enough to even notice...the most telling thing is that Apple now lists their official cases as compatible with both the 6/6+ and 6S/6S+ which implies to me that they are the same size.

Reactions: dhc921

FtrV8

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2009
People keep talking about the size difference but I'm not sure it's enough to even notice...the most telling thing is that Apple now lists their official cases as compatible with both the 6/6+ and 6S/6S+ which implies to me that they are the same size.
Agreed. Going to pull the trigger on this one. Thanks again.

FtrV8

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2009
Update:

Got my iPhone 6S+ and the Evutec case (was for the iPhone 6S), and it fits perfectly. Love the case. Looks, coverage and grippy! Bit thick, but coming from an Apple Leather case its a none issue.

Great case.

Last edited:
Reactions: nj1266

Cogsworth

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 7, 2015
Update:

Got my iPhone 6S+ and the Evutec case (was for the iPhone 6S), and it fits perfectly. Love the case. Looks, coverage and grippy! Bit thick, but coming from an Apple Leather case its a none issue.

Great case.

Awesome glad to hear it fits! That means I can still use mine when I upgrade next year. :)

7roca7

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2015
Thanks for the post. Just placed an order for one. Been setting up my 6s Plus, and just downloaded my music library in about 25 minutes.

kanshu

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2012
I bought 2 of this cases. One for my mom and one for me. Everything is perfect except for the power button. It doesn't have the tactile/clicky feeling to it on both cases.

FtrV8

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2009
I bought 2 of this cases. One for my mom and one for me. Everything is perfect except for the power button. It doesn't have the tactile/clicky feeling to it on both cases.
Agreed. But I think it's by design like that. If they would put metal buttons like the Apple bumper case, this case would be perfect.

tenderhand

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2015
Does anyone know if this case will work with any of the curved screen protectors like Imos, Cinder, Icemax, or maybe Benks 3D?

Waiting on a cinder and I'm looking to ditch the apple leather case. After a month on my 6S plus, it still doesn't feel like the leather on my 5S.

TL24

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2011
I've got the Karbon S Osprey and I love this case. Probably the best case I've ever owned and I've owned a lot lol

blue rocket

Suspended
Jul 28, 2010
CT, USA
I first had the Karbon Si, amazing case...but I decided to try the Black Apricot Si... even better! The composite feeling of the case is fantastic (different from the rubbery feeling of the Carbon). Had the power button issues on both cases, i put two small pieces of vinyl sticker over the area where the button meets the iPhone button and it is PERFECT! Clicks like a dream. Probably the best case I have ever used.

Cogsworth

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 7, 2015
I first had the Karbon Si, amazing case...but I decided to try the Black Apricot Si... even better! The composite feeling of the case is fantastic (different from the rubbery feeling of the Carbon). Had the power button issues on both cases, i put two small pieces of vinyl sticker over the area where the button meets the iPhone button and it is PERFECT! Clicks like a dream. Probably the best case I have ever used.
I have seriously thought about picking up the black apricot SI as well but right now I am switching from the Karbon and the Apple Leather...I keep telling myself I don't need another case...don't need another case...don't need another case...

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
I'm curious -- how is this case holding up for owners?

In particular, how does the surface coating wear? Does it scratch or scuff at all?

Is the drop protection effective? :)

I've narrowed it down to two cases, and this is one of them. I like the look (understated, if mundane in the "yet another plastic case" kind of way), and the feel is nice. Front bezel protection is good, even with my screen protector being a bit thick.

My only minor gripes are that it could be a little grippier, the buttons could be a little more tactile, and it could cost less, LOL.

Shockwave78

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2010
Case looks great in all the reviews and almost ordered one on amazon with the full intent of returning it if i didnt like. But i happen to be going to the apple store within a week or so anyway so i said i would wait and did. I got there and took out of the packaging and tried it on. Nothing special at all, feels like any other $10 case out there.

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
Yeah, that's my only real reservation about it. It's nice, but I'd no qualms if it was priced about 20-25 bucks less.

As it is, the margins on any case must be very good. R&D, setup, and marketing costs money, but injection molded plastic doesn't cost really that much. I'm in the wrong business...

Reactions: gilverx

FtrV8

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2009
Yeah, that's my only real reservation about it. It's nice, but I'd no qualms if it was priced about 20-25 bucks less.

As it is, the margins on any case must be very good. R&D, setup, and marketing costs money, but injection molded plastic doesn't cost really that much. I'm in the wrong business...

Margins are insane on cases. I am looking to white labeling some case for sale, and while doing some bonafide research, its crazy. Even on screen protectors.

Kjung7

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2013
Just got the same case for my 6S. It's insanely thin for a case that offers a lot of protection. The case covers all four sides of the phone very well. There is a lip to protect the screen when placed on a surface. The case feels premium and very smooth. Only downside is that it's somewhat slippery and its price ($50 for the 6s). But overall happy. I was stuck between this and the Apple leather case. Glad I went with this one. I'll update in a few weeks regarding wear and tear.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.