Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
Why have permanently WiFi on in places where there is no WiFi?
Why have BT permannently on, if you use it only in a car?
etc....

I keep WiFi off because I have unlimited data so I use it. I keep Bluetooth on always to use my Gear S watch and I keep location services on for Facebook and a few other apps.

KillaMac

Suspended
May 25, 2013
BS? Really? You have no idea what you are talking about. Because YOU couldn't get more than a day out of your battery, you think it's impossible for anyone else to get more than a day? Lag is not a common problem. You may have had it but that doesn't mean everyone had it.

My Note 4 continuously gets the same battery life as my 6+. There was something wrong with your Note 4 if it didn't make it a full day. The battery life is something people are always impressed with.

This is my Note Edge. same exact phone. I posted the cap from it because it's impossible to lie about what screen cap it is really from.

It is common as there are multiple topics on both those forums that have over 50 pages or more about lag which are active.

Sorry if facts hurt you. I owned it and not blinded.

----------

Here's a screen cap from my Note 4/ Pretty impressive.

The second one is from today. The second cap is while connected to my Gear S watch through Bluetooth and I'm using the phone as a remote for my TV.

You really need to go to Android Central and do some reading. Most people say it has some of the best battery life ever. There will always be some people who have poor battery life just like with the iPhone. There is a current post on imore about that.

And that's where they discuss lag.

----------

Just the first page of the note 4 forum they are talking about lag and battery life issues

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=452864

Palladium SG

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2015
It is common as there are multiple topics on both those forums that have over 50 pages or more about lag which are active.

Sorry if facts hurt you. I owned it and not blinded.

----------

And that's where they discuss lag.

----------

Just the first page of the note 4 forum they are talking about lag and battery life issues

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=452864

They are plenty of Note 3 threads on XDA regarding bad battery life too, usually something to do with the search service which cannot be disabled fully without rooting, and rooting risks voiding warranty by tripping Knox because Samsung is giving you the finger. I guess some people have no problems accepting low standards even while paying premium prices, and I'm not one of them.

BTW my own Note 3 battery degraded rapidly right at the 1st year mark which solidifies my need for a phone for a removable because this **** indeed happens.

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
I get incredible life on my S5, granted I'm running a custom rom, but even stock it was excellent. Wifi always on (except set to only stay on in sleep when charging, this always made a difference on my other phones back to my S2 as Android has generally had crazy wifi wakelock issues). Sync on, GPS/location etc all on, only thing I have off is bluetooth as don't really use it except once in a bluemoon. Neighbor has a Note 4 and we've gone out deep sea fishing and trolling from early morning till night (both of us work from home :cool: ) and do biz stuff while out there, he's never had a problem with battery life, his wife has one too. but it can all vary, you have plenty raving about iPhones battery life yet go figure, our experience has been pretty bad, 4 replaced multiple times and life sucked, 5 replaced twice battery life sucked, 5S replaced twice and still couldn't even make it towards end of the work day without dying. She gets her phones and pick of the litter through work, got the Iphone 6 and then tried S5 and kept the S5. 6 was better on life then before, but she just wanted a change, she's still shocked when she can make it through a heavy day and still have enough life left if going out later etc. Maybe the 6+ was fixed now, but two of her coworkers had them and kept complaining of lag and battery life which was posted a bunch of here before. Only iPhone I never had trouble with was my 3GS (glitches nor battery life), which was also tweaked to the hilt with cydia, still actually have the thing in a drawer. Pretty funny taking it out now and using it, phones today make it feel dated as hell lol

Way I look at it, ***** happens lol, chalk it up to people running different apps with different services, location with networks, who knows..... :D . With Android I could at least run BBS and see what an issue was, with iOS we were pretty much SOL (unless that's changed and there are apps that work like BBS?)

Battery life definitely starts tapering off after a year or so, S5 for some reason I've had almost 1 year now and still its excellent. But if something happens, you can replace the battery easily. iPhones, you could, but it was such a pain in the ass disassembling and if you went to Apple to replace they charged an arm and leg. So yeah it will suck if they do non-swappable batteries, thats a turn off as batteries do degrade around the 1-2 year mark. I remember when my S2 was barely making it through half a day, got a brand new sammy battery, popped the cover and popped the new battery right in and worked like new.

Far as switching an all that, no problems here, and I have a desktop and multiple MBPs. But I was never ingrained into the ecosystem, got rid of ipads, got rid of Apple tv which was awful and can't believe I drank some of the koolaid for that lol. Way easier having everything on my desktop for media streaming with home theater in top notch quality and sound and exactly how I want and no limits quality or otherwise. Found same/similar apps on Android so no biggie there, stuff like facetime or imessage never meant much to us, especially with majority of wifes co-workers and company switching to Android (its like 60/40 split now as they offer the choice to employees and got rid of BB awhile ago). I always hated iTunes with a passion, and didn't care for Apples cloud sync and glitches, I way prefer the way I can do that stuff with Android but thats just me, everyones different. On MBP right now that's sync with my S5 for everything from work to files to personal to music.

Last edited:

the caveman

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
Well looks like note 4 in all of its awesomeness and supremacy over anything iPhone didn't help samsung to maintain the lead over apple in smartphone market

MasterRyu2011

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2014
You need to be more specific than just Android. There is only one brand of iOS phones, while tons on the Android side. There are cons for Android on certain phones that don't apply to others, and vice versa.

So if you were to say one of the following, you'd get more of an accurate argument:

-the cons of switching from iPhones to Samsung skinned Android phones
-the cons of switching from iPhones to Motorola skinned Android phones
-the cons of switching from iPhones to LG skinned Android phones
-the cons of switching from iPhones to Sony skinned Android phones
-the cons of switching from iPhones to HTC skinned Android phones
-the cons of switching from iPhones to stock-Android phones (Nexi)

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
IMO most people who want Android are really better off with cheap Xiaomi or Moto G that are free from bloat than expensive flagships that are filled to the brim with manufacturer or carrier bloatware that drains battery life like no tomorrow. Software optimization is a ton more important than having bleeding edge hardware than in Android land.
The Xperias I've used actually have pretty lightweight skins and bar the Xperia M, had decent battery life (comparable or longer than the iPhone's at any rate). The Xperia skin is definitely less resource intensive compared to TouchWiz. Mind, I do prefer stock Android but if I were going for a skinned version, Sony isn't so bad.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Well looks like note 4 in all of its awesomeness and supremacy over anything iPhone didn't help samsung to maintain the lead over apple in smartphone market

And it only takes one huge advancement in software or hardware tech to change that. Ask Blackberry, Microsoft, and Palm.

If Samsung keeps going at the pace it is, they will release the REAL "Next Big Thing". The foldable screen concept/prototype could very well be it.

Samsung-pantalla-flexible-1.jpg

GigabitEthernet

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2013
United Kingdom
I've previously posted why I prefer Android.

However, iOS does do battery management better than Android - standby battery usage being particularly bad on Android compared to iOS.

Ulenspiegel

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2014
Land of Flanders and Elsewhere
Based on my use of the iPhone and Android devices, duh.

To make my point clear citing a previous post:

You need to be more specific than just Android. There is only one brand of iOS phones, while tons on the Android side. There are cons for Android on certain phones that don't apply to others, and vice versa.

So if you were to say one of the following, you'd get more of an accurate argument:

-the cons of switching from iPhones to Samsung skinned Android phones
-the cons of switching from iPhones to Motorola skinned Android phones
-the cons of switching from iPhones to LG skinned Android phones
-the cons of switching from iPhones to Sony skinned Android phones
-the cons of switching from iPhones to HTC skinned Android phones
-the cons of switching from iPhones to stock-Android phones (Nexi)

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014

Selling the most doesn't always make you the best.

Brand recognition goes a long way and the apple branding is very strong. Nearly invincible.

the caveman

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
Selling the most doesn't always make you the best.

Brand recognition goes a long way and the apple branding is very strong. Nearly invincible.

Agreed, wasnt trying to make any point whatsoever, simply stated that apple surpassed samsung is all.

stevelam

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2010
How about the "TouchWiz is a resource hog and it ruins Android" argument? My son has a 2 year old Moto X and it runs flawlessly.

i've used a oneplusone and its specs are arguably one of the better in the android family. i could definitely notice jitter and lag. not enough to really capture on camera, but enough that you can actually feel it.

----------

iMessage. I've yet to find anything close on Android.

i think i would miss this the most too. my work and home machines are all macs and i love being able to text from my computer. no idea if theres such an equivalent for android?

also, i'd want to replace touchwiz with cyanogenmod too. not sure if this is gonna be possible for s6? i would it would be but i dont want to lose any speed optimizations (especially for the camera)

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
The longer you use Android, the more you will see the benefits from using it and it may outweigh the negatives. But you might need to do a "CLEANSE" from the Apple ecosystem. Get rid of it completely out of your system. Learn to live without ANYTHING iOS. I have been on Android for 3+ years since October 2011 and since Nov 2012 as a primary. I still learn new things from it. Like using the ALL IN ONE TOOLBOX app. I can choose which apps to autostart and can backup my apps (nomore App Backup & Restore), clean my cache, and have it act as a file manager like ES.

Android has made me OCD with all my settings and certain app version. I didn't even realize I could change the name or icon of the app within the drawer using Nova Prime until months later. I didn't know anything about rooting or flashing custom ROMS and the benefits from them until two weeks ago. Android is constant learning from me. I like that. It sharpens my mind as I keep thinking how to tinker with it and make it more perfect. It does not get stale as fast like iOS or WP.

The apps that need to autostart for me...

AdBlock Plus
All In One Gestures
All In One Toolbox
Capacitive Buttons
CM Security
CPU Tuner
DynamicNotifications (older apk)
Greenify (most apps hibernated except the ones here)
Lazy Swipe (older apk as v1.6 kills more batt % on idle)
Notification Toggle
Nova Launcher Prime
Screen Off & Lock
SwiftKey Keyboard
Wakeup Touch Nexus

^^^ I have 1.8 gb avail but only 800 mb -1 gb RAM free after a reboot and they all autostart. It all adds up eating RAM but I can't live without them. They all have specific uses that makes things easier for me. I also have CM Booster. I put it as the swipe up action via Nova for my drawer button. Has a cool spaceship animation to boost my phone while having a whitelist not to kill ones that were autostarted.

There are more cons with Apple. They conned many millions to overpay for an OS with limiting features but disguise it with terms like smooth, easy to use, simplicity, minimalistic, just works, magical, revolutionary, etc.

stevelam

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2010
The longer you use Android, the more you will see the benefits from using it and it may outweigh the negatives. But you might need to do a "CLEANSE" from the Apple ecosystem. Get rid of it completely out of your system. Learn to live without ANYTHING iOS. I have been on Android for 3+ years since October 2011 and since Nov 2012 as a primary. I still learn new things from it. Like using the ALL IN ONE TOOLBOX app. I can choose which apps to autostart and can backup my apps (nomore App Backup & Restore), clean my cache, and have it act as a file manager like ES.

Android has made me OCD with all my settings and certain app version. I didn't even realize I could change the name or icon of the app within the drawer using Nova Prime until months later. I didn't know anything about rooting or flashing custom ROMS and the benefits from them until two weeks ago. Android is constant learning from me. I like that. It sharpens my mind as I keep thinking how to tinker with it and make it more perfect. It does not get stale as fast like iOS or WP.

The apps that need to autostart for me...

AdBlock Plus
All In One Gestures
All In One Toolbox
Capacitive Buttons
CM Security
CPU Tuner
DynamicNotifications (older apk)
Greenify (most apps hibernated except the ones here)
Lazy Swipe (older apk as v1.6 kills more batt % on idle)
Notification Toggle
Nova Launcher Prime
Screen Off & Lock
SwiftKey Keyboard
Wakeup Touch Nexus

^^^ I have 1.8 gb avail but only 800 mb -1 gb RAM free after a reboot and they all autostart. It all adds up eating RAM but I can't live without them. They all have specific uses that makes things easier for me. I also have CM Booster. I put it as the swipe up action via Nova for my drawer button. Has a cool spaceship animation to boost my phone while having a whitelist not to kill ones that were autostarted.

There are more cons with Apple. They conned many millions to overpay for an OS with limiting features but disguise it with terms like smooth, easy to use, simplicity, minimalistic, just works, magical, revolutionary, etc.

you've gone 3+ years on android and didnt find out about custom roms until 2 weeks ago? doesnt sound like your minds doing any sharpening, buddy.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Every single Android device I have used, from Samsung, LG, Motorola, Google has poor standby time compared to the iPhone 4S/5/5S/6.

There, you happy?

I concur with this statement.  has significantly better standby battery life.

----------

i've used a oneplusone and its specs are arguably one of the better in the android family. i could definitely notice jitter and lag. not enough to really capture on camera, but enough that you can actually feel it.

----------

i think i would miss this the most too. my work and home machines are all macs and i love being able to text from my computer. no idea if theres such an equivalent for android?

also, i'd want to replace touchwiz with cyanogenmod too. not sure if this is gonna be possible for s6? i would it would be but i dont want to lose any speed optimizations (especially for the camera)

Look into the app Pushbullet. Works on every OS and every kind of hardware you can imagine. Even with OSX and iOS, Pushbullet has some significant advantages that rival Airdrop. On Android, Pushbullet is the equivalent to Airdrop. Check it out.

----------

iMessage. I've yet to find anything close on Android.

iMessage is great and I love using it, but it started off as nothing more than a BBM clone. And you can get BBM on Android, Windows and iOS. Or use Whatsapp, which apparently a billion people use.

GigabitEthernet

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2013
United Kingdom
I feel that Apple would benefit quite significantly if they launched iMessage on Android.

I cannot see why they would launch Beats Music for Android but not iMessage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.