Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I always heard when testing Apple puts there products in unassuming cases so they don't draw attention.

I am all for calling it an ipad 4 except for the icons and screen size were larger compared to my air 2. My icons seemed tiny in comparison. Yes, I know the bezel will make the ipad 4 look larger but in the end if only I had a ruler out this mystery would be solved!

Can you post links to the full resolution images? I'd like to do some analysis. Also can you provide the airline and if possible, the model of aircraft?

Thanks!

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Like someone said previously that could be intentional so that it doesn't draw attention.

Yeah but it does seem odd they would omit that if it's out in the field to test functionality. Also, I find it odd Apple would let an employee travel across the country with a prototype. It's one thing to do it in/around Cupertino/California but across the country seems very risky.

Tmelon

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
Yeah but it does seem odd they would omit that if it's out in the field to test functionality. Also, I find it odd Apple would let an employee travel across the country with a prototype. It's one thing to do it in/around Cupertino/California but across the country seems very risky.

It could very well be an iPad 4. I'm not entirely sure what the original poster saw on the bus, but if hypothetically they had disguised a new iPad as an iPad 4 they would have to omit Touch ID as an iPad 4 with Touch ID would draw even more attention.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
It's an iPad 4. I have one.
It's clearly an iPad 4. Look at the image of the iPhone on top of the iPad laying flat on the tray table.

Tray table sizes vary with aircraft, but are approximately 16.5 inches by 9.5 inches. The iPad 4 is 9.5" x 7.3". Just eyeballing the photo it is clear that the iPad 4 length is the same size as the tray table.

temna

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2008
I was actually disappointed in it. I know Apple sends out ugly prototypes into the field during testing but the bezels are hopefully going to go away. I was holding out hope for an IOS/OSX hybrid (long shot) to be a true competitor to the Surface.

Everyone who wants a hybrid will be sadly disappointed. Course, their disappointment will make me smile, as I've said this from the beginning. This "pro" iPad will just be the iPhone 6+ of iPads.. A bigger, higher res iPad Air 2.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I very much doubt that it actually is a larger iPad prototype, likely she put it away because she may have noticed some of your attempts to take pictures, and when you asked about it not liked the extra attention.

That said I could see Apple leaving off things like touch ID to try to disguise it as an older iPad if it really is a prototype being tested.

Fishels

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2015
That is quite clearly an iPad 2/3/or 4.

I don't care how "covertly" you held your iPad Air next to it, that's not an iPad Pro in the wild. Even looking at the size of the iPhone 6 on top of it as well as the size of it on the shelf (most planes with seats in that class have near identical dimensions) it looks the exact same as my wife's iPad 4 when hers was resting on one of those during our flight to Sorrento.

Your eyes played a trick on you because you have an Air. The icons on a bigger screen iPad won't be larger, it'll be a higher resolution display and like the iPhone 5 and 6 before it, the icons will remain the same size and simply allow more apps per row and have more rows.

As for putting it away when you kept being creepy and checking out her gear, I personally would have told you to get lost and give me peace to enjoy my flight.

Hostile hostile and more HOSTILE. Thanks for the info TC. Ignore cynical elitists who talk trash and tough over the internet. Pathetic. And it doesn't matter that is probably on iPad 4. Its an interesting thread and people like the one i just quoted are no fun to be around. Thanks for sharing TC.... i agree its most likely an ipad 4 but you never know.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Everyone who wants a hybrid will be sadly disappointed. Course, their disappointment will make me smile, as I've said this from the beginning. This "pro" iPad will just be the iPhone 6+ of iPads.. A bigger, higher res iPad Air 2.
...yeah, because being proven right is the most important thing. :rolleyes:

RebornProphet

Suspended
Nov 3, 2013
Hostile hostile and more HOSTILE. Thanks for the info TC. Ignore cynical elitists who talk trash and tough over the internet. Pathetic. And it doesn't matter that is probably on iPad 4. Its an interesting thread and people like the one i just quoted are no fun to be around. Thanks for sharing TC.... i agree its most likely an ipad 4 but you never know.

Hahaha! If I'm hostile and elitist, you're judgmental, pedantic, and self righteous.

"No fun to be around." It's a FORUM. You don't know me, I don't know you ... go away.

----------

There's a setting in ios 8 to make the icons larger in the iPad and iPhone

On iPhone 6 and 6 Plus, yes.

On iPad and earlier iPhone models, no.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Look at this picture below. Compare the size of the hand to the narrower side of the ipad screen. Unless she has hands the size of Shaq's, it is a regular ipad.

16699889262_9c633aeaf0_c.jpg

KittyKatta

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2011
SoCal
Look at this picture below. Compare the size of the hand to the narrower side of the ipad screen. Unless she has hands the size of Shaq's, it is a regular ipad.

16699889262_9c633aeaf0_c.jpg
This photo is like that dress photo that blew up earlier in the week. Everyone is seeing a white and gold "Large iPad Pro" but all I see is a plain old-school blue and black iPad.

No offense to anyone, but, like you said, compare hand size to screen then the only way to mistake that for a "large iPad" would be if those hands belonged to a child in a womans windbreaker.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.