Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
No idea where to ask this (on this board) and I did try another tech form, curious if anyone else ever ran into such an issue and yes I have Googled this issue to death, over and over and cannot find anything helpful and I really need my device to work again so I am checking for a work around.

The charging port broke and there is no way to solder the leads or any leads back on because they are damaged (I tried) I cannot find the part anywhere online aside from costly about as much as a new tablet. This one has wacom pressure sensitivity.

It is not a user removable battery yet I can get to it of course.

Really looking to see if anyone knows of a way to at least charge a battery directly. It is crazy how hard this device is to fix.

Not in warranty either. (Never was since I owned it)

Device - Asus - Vivotab Note 8 - M80TA

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
LiPo batteries require a specific charging regimen. Constant current up to a certain point, then constant voltage until the charging current falls below a threshold. The constant current is based on capacity, as is the threshold for stopping the charge.

The voltage to charge to can vary, typically 4.1V, 4.2V, etc. but not necessarily. It depends on chemistry and I'm not sure what else. Best bet is to read the spec sheet.

LiPo charging usually done with a chip designed specifically for this purpose, such as the MCP73833. You will also need at least some specs for the battery, such as its capacity, its max charge rate (1C is usually safe), and its nominal voltage (i.e. the voltage it charges to).

I have no idea if any of that helps you, or even makes sense to you.

I can tell you that if you try charging a LiPo battery the wrong way it can quite literally burst into flame. Even if it doesn't burst into flame it can get very hot, swell up, and burst its sealed pouch. I've experienced the latter (swelled up, burst pouch). I have not had one burst into flame. Yet.

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
LiPo batteries require a specific charging regimen. Constant current up to a certain point, then constant voltage until the charging current falls below a threshold. The constant current is based on capacity, as is the threshold for stopping the charge.

The voltage to charge to can vary, typically 4.1V, 4.2V, etc. but not necessarily. It depends on chemistry and I'm not sure what else. Best bet is to read the spec sheet.

LiPo charging usually done with a chip designed specifically for this purpose, such as the MCP73833. You will also need at least some specs for the battery, such as its capacity, its max charge rate (1C is usually safe), and its nominal voltage (i.e. the voltage it charges to).

I have no idea if any of that helps you, or even makes sense to you.

I can tell you that if you try charging a LiPo battery the wrong way it can quite literally burst into flame. Even if it doesn't burst into flame it can get very hot, swell up, and burst its sealed pouch. I've experienced the latter (swelled up, burst pouch). I have not had one burst into flame. Yet.

Thanks for your reply, it does make sence.

Setting it on fire or it blowing up are the two main concerns. I does appear it would be best if I just track down a cheaper part or get a new tablet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.