Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steveOooo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2008
UK
Have upgraded my 2010 MP from ML to Yosecrap and now the power button doesn't sleep the mac? Is this a exciting new 'feature' or am error or am I missing a setting somewhere?

Note, writing on my ipad because the wifi doesn't work on the worlds most advanced operating system....

illusionx

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2014
Brossard, QC
Power button no longe sleeps in Yose*****?

Holding the power button will bring the shutdown/reboot/sleep dialogue. It's the same behaviour on an iOS device.

Also, 10.10.2 supposed to have fixed the wifi issue.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Holding down the power button on my 2010 MP just causes a hard shutdown, no dialog.

AllergyDoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2013
Utah, USA
A similar thing happened on my 2012 iMac when I upgraded it to Yosemite. I could get the Mac to sleep by pressing harder, or by putting more pressure on the side of the button instead of in the middle. It would usually, but not always, work.

steveOooo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2008
UK
No power button doesn't work at half sec/two secs - after three secs I get the dialogue. Dnt really want to risk force shutdown

In /about this mac/energy efficiency it states 'power button sleeps = yes'

So the options in about this mac but not in system prefs / energy saving

Perhaps a pram reset? Has anyone else got 'power button sleeps' in system prefs / energy efficiency?

ScottishCaptain

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008
hold it 2-3 secs. holding it for more than 4 secs will cause a force shutdown.

Oh that's just a brilliant feature. Over by one second and you lose, which is fantastic considering the remarkable (in)stability of HFS+ to handle such repeated events.

-SC

illusionx

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2014
Brossard, QC
Power button no longe sleeps in Yose*****?

The use the apple menu -> sleep? Or the keyboard short cut for sleep.

My first macbook always had the power button as the popup menu for shutdown/reboot/sleep. The mini's power button was sleep. So I had to use the menu to accomplish what I had to do.
It's now a habit, power button is strictly for power on the computer or force shutdown.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.