Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chuppiejones

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2014
Zotac Issues

Put its PC BIOS back on and if there are no errors you have your answer.

Thanks for your response.

Yeah, I tried that. It seemed like it was okay, until I turned off my Cintiq, then it flipped out. I was using the Nvidia Web drivers. My card just doesn't seem to be playing nicely with this Mac Pro. I was having the weird green with the EFI boot screen colors on my HDMI monitor, but I read that this was not anything but the nature of the beast. I have both displays connected to DVI and so far so good with Default OS X drivers and EFI, but I'm not holding my breath. Perhaps, if I'll take it to the Genius Bar and have them run the AST and MRI on the system. It seems to happen without rhyme or reason, but only in Mac OS X. Or, I'll just flash the PC Bios back and sell it on craigslist and use the proceeds to buy a card from you, MacVidCards. :)

Thanks again

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
To track down cause of issue you will need to be very scientific.

Find a place where issue always shows up . I would guess Uningine Valley in Extreme HD preset should work. Establish that it ALWAYS shows up using the EFI rom.

Then put PC rom on it and run same tests.

I can tell you with 100% certainty that it isn't a driver issue. It is either bad RAM or bad ram timings in rom. The rom posted publicly is the EVGA Mac Edition with the RAM clocks and timings from an EVGA 4gb PC Card. The card was made on a larger PCB then reference. One size fits all roms are a gamble.

It is either a slight misfit or your card has bad RAM and will show those spots with any rom on it.

chuppiejones

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2014
Zotac Issues

Just following up…

I stress tested the VRAM and with the EFI Bios, even did the Valley with Extreme HD settings and it did not cause any issue like artifacts. But still crashing on wake in OS X and GUI operation like copying files. I put the PC Bios back, been using the stock OS X drivers and there hasn't been any problems. So, there's my answer.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
GTX680 4GB issue solved by....MacVidCards...who else?

So possibly the EFI/Mac ROM isn't a perfect match.

On another note...We at MacVidCards have SOLVED the 680 4GB "upper DVI port no workey" issue.

We are in fact leaving for a vacation and the guy staying here couldn't flash his way out of a wet paper sack so the FREE REFLASH service won't start until we re-open on September 8th.

At that point, any past customer in US can send GTX680 4GB in for a free re-flash. Not sure what to do for International customers, going to have to see how much demand there is. Shipping back and forth is pricey and there is currently no OSX flasher.

To be clear, GTX680 4GB cards lost upper DVI port after 10.9.2.

It is also non-functional in Yosemite.

We have found fix and will be offering it to past customers of the card after we return from vacation.

All future GTX680 4GB cards form us will already have the fix. All 4 ports working as God intended.

gatd

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2008
I have a PC to flash the card and I am in the UK would it be possible to get hold of the fix to do it my self?
thanks

stevenz

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2006
Wellington, NZ
Flashed my 680, I now get the Windows 8.1 bootscreen, but my OS X bootscreen seems to be outputting at an unsupported resolution as my 1920x1080 monitor just displays "Resolution out of range" until it gets to the logon screen.

Have tried resetting PRAM & SMC, changes resolutions back & forth in OSX itself, all to no avail.

Any ideas?

Using it in a 2008 MacPro 3,1 and running Mavericks 10.9.4.

Given that the system boots in <10 seconds, it's not a big deal, but it also means I can't see the boot selection screen although I can use it blind and it does work.

Edit: Nevermind - the GTX680 boot resolution (whatever it may be) isn't apparently supported by my monitor, plugged it into another monitor and the bootscreen appeared as expected. Strange given that OS X itself displays just fine and the 8800GT it replaced also displayed correctly on it. So there you are.

Tried editing the com.apple.Boot.plist file and specifying a known supported mode, made no difference, not sure if it even should.

Good excuse to buy a better monitor.

Last edited:

cebseb

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2011
Wow! What a GEM this post is. I've been racking my brain with a mac GPU purchase for months. Would these files work on any GTX 680 4GB-- there seems to be a few like the 04G-P4-3687-KR or 04G-P4-3685-KR.

This post is about a year old now-- would a GTX 680 be the best way to go? Some people seem to be using a 780. What would be the best for squeezing a few more years out of a 2009 Mac Pro? And thank you again Dr. Stealth!

Oh man. I JUST saw this post. Hah. Serves me right for not venturing into other threads more often

Dr. Stealth

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2004
SoCal-Surf City USA
Wow! What a GEM this post is. I've been racking my brain with a mac GPU purchase for months. Would these files work on any GTX 680 4GB-- there seems to be a few like the 04G-P4-3687-KR or 04G-P4-3685-KR.

This post is about a year old now-- would a GTX 680 be the best way to go? Some people seem to be using a 780. What would be the best for squeezing a few more years out of a 2009 Mac Pro? And thank you again Dr. Stealth!

Ha... You're welcome. Good to see this thread has been helping people for so long. I'm good for several years out and have been hammering my Mac Pro rendering.

Cheers!

TomTomTuning

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2010
Central PA
So it's been about two months that I've installed the EVGA 4GB FTW card and I'm starting to notice occasional flickers of my screen. At first it once only once in a while but now it's doing it every couple of minutes. It dent completely black out but very quickly flickers. Has anyone else experienced this issue? This is in OSX 10.9.5. I don't have my OEM card anymore, so I can't test the old card.

Anyone experience this or know what I can try to resolve it?

kayser

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2014
new ROM for the 4GB 680GTX

Does anyone have information about a new Mac ROM for the 4GB 680GTX? The actual available ROM file is no compliant anymore to the latest OSX versions :( Thanks for any help or advice!

killiansage

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2014
Congrats !

Hi there! Your contributions are invaluable to this community. Thank YOU so much.

The card I was hoping to put into my Mac Pro 2010 is the EVGA GeForce GTX 780 6GB - 06G-P4-3787-KR.

I wouldn't know the first thing about how to flash this card but this website says this is a great long term investment http://www.barefeats.com/gpuss.html

Any ideas (or advice) as to HOW I could flash this for personal use? I have a friend who is VERY computer savvy as long as he can get basic instructions/files to do it, etc.

Airjarhead

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2012
TX
I've been watching this page for a long time, and finally got an EVGA GTX 680 4GB FTW. I flashed it using the instructions and files provided, and then installed the card im my Mac Pro 4,1. I reset SMC and PRAM. I even repaired disk permissions. However, I do not get boot screens. I'm thinking it has something to do with the fact that I'm running Yosemite. Is that right, or did something go wrong with the flash?
Otherwise, the card works great, and the web drivers work (used to get white screen on boot using web-drivers with GTX 560ti).
I wouldn't push it, but I'm trying to upgrade the Mac 4,1 firmware so I can upgrade the CPU. It won't flash with the 560ti or the GTX 680 (as it is now).
Thanks,

Airjarhead

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2012
TX
What does System Profiler say about it?

Look under "Rom Revision"

Thanks for the reply, but soon after I posted, I got everything to work. I dug out our old 24" ACD and hooked it up via DP. Got boot screen, and then was able to flash to 5,1. I knew that one DVI port wouldn't work, but I'm not sure why the other one doesn't. Anyway, I'm happy. Thanks to all that have contributed to this thread!

CuamckuyKot

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2009
Russia, Saint-Petersburg
I've flashed Palit GTX680 4Gb with this rom. Thanks, bootscreen is shown fine.

But it seems that card is running a bit slow.

For example, Cinebench R15 shows only 40fps on Mac. And 80fps on Win7.

Heaven and Valley are too low for event GTX680.

Attachments

• 2014-11-27 11-39-05 Unigine Valley Benchmark 1.0 Basic (OpenGL).png
    2014-11-27 11-39-05 Unigine Valley Benchmark 1.0 Basic (OpenGL).png
    2.4 MB · Views: 337
  • 2014-11-27 11-44-28 ????????? Boot Camp.png
    2014-11-27 11-44-28 ????????? Boot Camp.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 276
  • 2014-11-27 23-46-23 ?? ???? Mac.png
    2014-11-27 23-46-23 ?? ???? Mac.png
    127.4 KB · Views: 273

d994083

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2014
Please Help

I was bought Zotac GTX680 4G

Flash ROM 4GROMimage.

But Lost upper DVI port

any one success Zotac GTX680 4G?

TomTomTuning

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2010
Central PA
I believe it's an OSX issue, I know MacVidCards came up with a solution for their customers but he never replied to my PM asking for help. I run three monitors, so I'm using bottom DVI, HDMI and Display Port, with conversion cables for the HDMI and Display Port since all my monitors use DVI.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
I believe it's an OSX issue, I know MacVidCards came up with a solution for their customers but he never replied to my PM asking for help. I run three monitors, so I'm using bottom DVI, HDMI and Display Port, with conversion cables for the HDMI and Display Port since all my monitors use DVI.

The MacVidCards solution may not always work. I too lost my upper DVI port on a MVC supplied GTX 680 4GB after the OS X

update. I returned it to MVC after the fix was discovered and he re-flashed it and returned it, but the upper DVI port still was not working in my system.

-howard

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
The MacVidCards solution may not always work. I too lost my upper DVI port on a MVC supplied GTX 680 4GB after the OS X

update. I returned it to MVC after the fix was discovered and he re-flashed it and returned it, but the upper DVI port still was not working in my system.

-howard

You are the only one for which this didn't work.

Pretty sure you either have a non-compatible screen or a bad plug or cable or even something wrong with the port itself.

I understand how the fix works and I think I had you send a screen shot that showed me it had been applied.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
You are the only one for which this didn't work.

Pretty sure you either have a non-compatible screen or a bad plug or cable or even something wrong with the port itself.

I understand how the fix works and I think I had you send a screen shot that showed me it had been applied.

What screen shot will show the firmware version, and what should it be?

I assume you must have tested the upper DVI port after flashing the update to fix it?

I can simply power-down, move my video DVI cable from the bottom port to the upper port, and I get nothing on the same screen I was using upon power-on boot. This should rule out bad cable or screen since they are the same.

Last edited:

avkdm

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2012
Hummmm.... If you read through the full thread I believe that Galaxy has been successfully flashed with the posted rom. Let us know how it goes.

:)

I couldn't find anywhere that this model has been successfully flashed. Do you know if it works for a fact?
edit: my apologies - I found out elsewhere that someone has successfully flashed this model but only tested on a 1.1 (no boot screens)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.