Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaveTheRave

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2003
And some people say the Apple Watch is a solution without a problem.

I agree with that statement. In my opinion there's a proven need/use for fitness trackers but I don't think watches in general are fundamentally broken or in need of a radical update. Maybe if Apple Watch had good battery life...I think there's a lot of people who are thinking, what another charging device I have to pack when I go on vacation?, etc. and having the Watch linked to the iPhone for many functions reminds me of the criticism the Blackberry Playbook received when it was announced it needed to be linked to a Blackberry for key functions.

After reading the recent Jony Ive article, it makes me wonder if this is being done because Jony really wants to do a luxury item. And Tim approving it because Jony is the product guy so Tim doesn't want to contradict him. I think Apple would be better if focusing on a real Apple TV and make it so good that content providers will line up to make deals with Apple. I think Apple Watch is a mistake and will end up being a niche product or hobby, like the current ATV.

BillyTrimble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2013
What I don't get about all the Apple Watch naysayers saying this thing will never take off is that Apple is a very profitable company filled with very smart people. I'm not saying everything they make is perfect, but everything they make is definitely profitable. We know very little about it and people are already saying it's a flop. That sounds very familiar: "the iPod is just a hard drive with an LCD display", "the iPhone is just an iPod Touch with a phone attached", "the iPad is just a big iPhone without a phone"...

The Apple Watch will succeed. If Apple weren't absolutely sure of that based on whatever market research they did before starting development, they wouldn't be releasing it.

The real problem is that 99% of the people making these frankly stupid comments think they are smarter than Apple. And 99% of the time they are proven wrong. But only 1% of the time will any of these people come back and say they were wrong and only made ridiculous comments because that is what they live for. How very sad for most of these people.

Apple is a very smart company. There is no way this watch would exists if Apple didn't already know that it would be immensely successful and useful. There are just loads of people on these forums that have a burning desire to see a successful company fail because they feel inadequate and just can stand the fact that Apple is smarter than they are.

robbyx

Suspended
Oct 18, 2005
The real problem is that 99% of the people making these frankly stupid comments think they are smarter than Apple. And 99% of the time they are proven wrong. But only 1% of the time will any of these people come back and say they were wrong and only made ridiculous comments because that is what they live for. How very sad for most of these people.

Apple is a very smart company. There is no way this watch would exists if Apple didn't already know that it would be immensely successful and useful. There are just loads of people on these forums that have a burning desire to see a successful company fail because they feel inadequate and just can stand the fact that Apple is smarter than they are.

Oh good grief. Fanboy much? Every company takes a risk when they bring a new product to market. Apple has had a few duds in the 32 years I've been buying their products. Apple Watch is no guaranteed hit. And not every skeptic is an Apple hater who think they're smarter than Apple. Seriously, what is this, junior high?

Like someone else in the thread said, this site made we want the watch less. It's all very predictable. Apps with limited, but focused, functionality on the wrist. Some people will find the combination of fashion and functionality worth the price, but there's no chance the Apple Watch is going to suddenly ignite interest in the wearables market.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
A spotify remote might sell me on the thing. Thanks to the iPhone's magical ability to close apps that aren't in use, it often won't resume playing via Bluetooth when I get in my car. Control via the watch would be awesome.

The music control on Pebble and Fitbit Surge both control spotify if it is the current running music app.

jotwee

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2007
Düsseldorf, Germany
Not the interface is beamed from the iPhone to the watch, but the content.. For example, if you display a text on the watch, the text field itself already is on the watch, but the text field's content is transferred from the phone to the watch.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
"the iPhone is just an iPod Touch with a phone attached"

How is that possible, the iPod Touch didn't even exist when the iPhone was released :confused:

The Apple Watch will succeed. If Apple weren't absolutely sure of that based on whatever market research they did before starting development, they wouldn't be releasing it.

I'm sure it will, they know how to market it as a practical device. That doesn't mean it is one, however.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
Twitter, MLB, and Deliveries are the first apps I'll be downloading.

My assumption is that there will be no need for you to download anything as long as you already have these apps installed (and updated) on your phone, as the Watch app is simply an extension contained in and acquired through its parent iPhone app.

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
Charleston, SC and Everett, WA
so far it looks like the watch is useful if you are too lazy to take your phone out of your pocket..

So far, it looks like the automobile is useful if you're too lazy to walk.
So far, it looks like the light bulb is useful it if you're too lazy to put oil in the lamps and light them.
So far, it looks like the computer is useful if you're too lazy to calculate numbers, go to the store and get a newspaper, or walk to your neighbor's house to chat.
So far, it looks like the electric heater is useful if you're too lazy to go out, gather wood, and start a fire to warm yourself.
So far, it looks like the supermarket, or markets in general are useful if you're too lazy to plant and harvest your own food, or hunt for it.
So far, it looks like the comma and shift key are useful, if you use them.
So far, it looks like Siri is useful if you're too lazy to get your phone out and dial the numbers that you want, especially since you won't be driving anywhere, due to your disdain of lazy people.

DonutHands

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2011
Los Angeles
What I don't get about all the Apple Watch naysayers saying this thing will never take off is that Apple is a very profitable company filled with very smart people. I'm not saying everything they make is perfect, but everything they make is definitely profitable. We know very little about it and people are already saying it's a flop. That sounds very familiar: "the iPod is just a hard drive with an LCD display", "the iPhone is just an iPod Touch with a phone attached", "the iPad is just a big iPhone without a phone"...

I cant see it being a flop, but its no iPhone, its no iPad either. I think its more of an Apple TV.

Its a first attempt at a wearable and a great test bed for future features.

Time will tell.

*grumble*why the hell is the bezel so damn big on the display *grumble*

batchtaster

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
The real problem is that 99% of the people making these frankly stupid comments think they are smarter than Apple.
Oh good grief. Fanboy much?
And then there's that. They insist it's ugly (then it wins a design award), or that it's already a flop, then when you hold up a decades-long track record of every iconic, successful product Apple have ever made, especially the ones that were touted as being pointless and a flop as well (iPod, iPhone, iPad), they throw out the old "fanboy" chestnut, because they've run out of ideas.

Every time I see "fanboy", I read it as "I have nothing reasonable left to offer, so I'm just going to dismiss you, as a form of tacit white flag."

Apple aren't a religion. They're successful because they make very considered, deliberate moves. They know exactly what they're aiming for and they do their research. And they've been doing it for years. It's not being a "fanboy" ("yay! I give up!") to understand that, or to think that maybe, just maybe, the multi-billion dollar company just might know a bit about their own business. More so than anonymous armchair pundits.

Last edited:

robbyx

Suspended
Oct 18, 2005
And then there's that. They insist it's ugly (then it wins a design award), or that it's already a flop, then when you hold up a decades-long track record of every iconic, successful product Apple have ever made, especially the ones that were touted as being pointless and a flop as well (iPod, iPhone, iPad), they throw out the old "fanboy" chestnut, because they've run out of ideas.

Every time I see "fanboy", I read it as "I have nothing reasonable left to offer, so I'm just going to dismiss you, as a form of tacit white flag."

Apple aren't a religion. They're successful because they make very considered, deliberate moves. They know exactly what they're aiming for and they do their research. And they've been doing it for years. It's not being a "fanboy" ("yay! I give up!") to understand that, or to think that maybe, just maybe, the multi-billion dollar company just might know a bit about their own business. More so than anonymous armchair pundits.

Anyone who writes something like "99% of the people..." either DOES believe Apple is a religion, is desperately naive, or is 10 years old. I hate to break it to you, but multi-billion companies do make mistakes. Apple has made quite a few over the decades. They struck gold with the iPhone, no doubt, and it's 70% of their business. The Mac didn't turn them into the Apple of today. The iPad isn't the reason they're so massively successful. Look at the revenue breakdown. It's iPhone. One product made them what they are today.

When I read comments like yours, I just have to shake my head. The Apple you know and love, at least the one you describe, is a relatively recent phenomenon. Just because they've had a good run with the iPhone (and iPod) for the past decade doesn't mean that every new product they make will automagically be a huge hit. Go back into their history and you'll find quite a few products that were huge flops. The original Lisa. The Mac for many years. The Mac wouldn't even exist if the Apple II hadn't subsidized it for years. The Apple III. The Newton. How many times have they tried to get online/cloud services right? eWorld? iTools? .Mac? iCloud? What about trying to build the next generation MacOS? Copland? Taligent? Total disaster that resulted in buying NeXT.

I'm not saying that all of these were bad products either. Quite the contrary (in many cases). But they were commercial failures (or in the case of Copland/Taligent/Pink, R&D failures). So grow up and stop acting like Apple (or any other big "multi-billion dollar company") is incapable of releasing a dud.

Last edited:

robbyx

Suspended
Oct 18, 2005
I cant see it being a flop, but its no iPhone, its no iPad either. I think its more of an Apple TV.

Its a first attempt at a wearable and a great test bed for future features.

Time will tell.

Clever. :) I agree. I see the watch very much like the Apple TV, a hobby (for now). I think anyone who expects crazy sales is, well, crazy. Whether it's a flop or not depends on expectation. And right now some people have pretty ridiculously high expectations. 40+ million units sold the first year? More like 4 million. If you expect 40 million units sold, you will call it a flop, whereas you and I will probably see it as a modest success when it sells a few million units.

In my mind, the technology just isn't there yet for a truly interesting wearable. The Apple Watch isn't much different from other products on the market in terms of what it does. It's very different in terms of how it looks and how the user interacts with it. But it pretty much does what a Pebble does, or a Fitbit. Third party apps will no doubt add a little bit of value, but ultimately it's just another way to access information you'd access via your phone.

But you are right, it's a test bed. Over time as sensor technology improves, the watch will add more compelling features and become a more essential product rather than a luxury accessory for your iPhone.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
My assumption is that there will be no need for you to download anything as long as you already have these apps installed (and updated) on your phone, as the Watch app is simply an extension contained in and acquired through its parent iPhone app.

We'll see how it works. But I like that idea. It would be very seamless.

----------

So far, it looks like the light bulb is useful it if you're too lazy to put oil in the lamps and light them.
So far, it looks like the computer is useful if you're too lazy to calculate numbers, go to the store and get a newspaper, or walk to your neighbor's house to chat.
So far, it looks like the electric heater is useful if you're too lazy to go out, gather wood, and start a fire to warm yourself.
So far, it looks like the supermarket, or markets in general are useful if you're too lazy to plant and harvest your own food, or hunt for it.
So far, it looks like Siri is useful if you're too lazy to get your phone out and dial the numbers that you want, especially since you won't be driving anywhere, due to your disdain of lazy people.

This deserves endless up votes.

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
dying at the thoroughly thought through (p.s. English is weird) description

your nouns have a gender and you think english is weird :cool:

----------

Stop saying "too lazy." Perhaps it is too inconvenient or perhaps it might appear rude or perhaps you're not allowed to take your phone out of your pocket.

or you carry your iPhone in your purse or you have your hands full pulling suitcases and need to know the time (or, hey, the gate with a Delta app) before your flight while you run for the gate or you don't want to advertise the fact that you don't know where you are going on the streets of an unfamiliar city.

----------

You forgot the most obvious and apt analogy:

So far, it looks like the remote is useful if you're too lazy to get off the couch to change the channel

Funny how there's always someone who looks at something that makes life easier in some way and has initial disdain for it (but eventually gets one after they see everyone else enjoying it).

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.