Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Well Samsung actually have their own operating system (TIzen) so they are more than a device maker. Also in terms of devices their portfolio is much greater than Apple's they make washing machines and fridges and TVs amongst other devices.

Are you serious? TIzen as an OS? My god man, get some rest !!!! :apple:

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
Well Samsung actually have their own operating system (TIzen) so they are more than a device maker. Also in terms of devices their portfolio is much greater than Apple's they make washing machines and fridges and TVs amongst other devices.

You're right Samsung does make a myriad of products, ranging from refrigerators to washing machines to cell phones. They are a jack of all trades and a master of none.

got556

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2013
Indiana
It's sad when fanboys from either camp, out themselves so easily. :confused:

I just don't understand how some people put their personal feelings into a corporation that absolutely cares nothing about you, after you've given them your hard earned money.

I'm a lover of tech. All tech. Has Samsung copied or borrowed tech from Apple? Yes. Has Apple copied or borrowed from Samsung? Yes.

Regardless, why do you care so much? The more options, the better we, as consumers, have it.

There's a good youtube video out there about what Apple has truly created or the cliche term "innovated". I think they came up with one item. Apple is good at design and marketing. All of their tech come from other manufacturers or people. And like it or hate it, Samsung still produces the best memory chipsets out there, IMO.

And for the love of all things tech, the patent process needs a serious reset. You shouldn't be able to patent broad ideas that leave the civil courts open for broad interpretation and scrutiny. But that's neither here nor there.

I've been on an Apple kick lately, although the software lately has me seriously doubting my past beliefs on the benefit of being an Apple user. But at the same time, Google is going against their old motto of "Don't be evil" while being in bed with the DoS/DoD/DoJ/fed gov. And I used to be a hardline Android user. I am really considering grabbing an S5 when they drop just to have fun with.

I should have went into youtube reviews, unboxing reviews. That is my passion.

PadreQuevedo

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2008
Seattle
If it was an iPhone with curved display....omg....all the iSheeps would be ovulating here.

Bragging about Apple's design and how Jony Ive is a genius.

Belmont31R

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2012
It's sad when fanboys from either camp, out themselves so easily. :confused:

I just don't understand how some people put their personal feelings into a corporation that absolutely cares nothing about you, after you've given them your hard earned money.

I'm a lover of tech. All tech. Has Samsung copied or borrowed tech from Apple? Yes. Has Apple copied or borrowed from Samsung? Yes.

Regardless, why do you care so much? The more options, the better we, as consumers, have it.

There's a good youtube video out there about what Apple has truly created or the cliche term "innovated". I think they came up with one item. Apple is good at design and marketing. All of their tech come from other manufacturers or people. And like it or hate it, Samsung still produces the best memory chipsets out there, IMO.

And for the love of all things tech, the patent process needs a serious reset. You shouldn't be able to patent broad ideas that leave the civil courts open for broad interpretation and scrutiny. But that's neither here nor there.

I've been on an Apple kick lately, although the software lately has me seriously doubting my past beliefs on the benefit of being an Apple user. But at the same time, Google is going against their old motto of "Don't be evil" while being in bed with the DoS/DoD/DoJ/fed gov. And I used to be a hardline Android user. I am really considering grabbing an S5 when they drop just to have fun with.

I should have went into youtube reviews, unboxing reviews. That is my passion.

You mistake Samsung for being a monolithic corporation that shares technology across all of its divisions. Apple contracts with Samsung to produce chips yet that division cannot go and divulge trade secrets to their consumer products people. Otherwise their chip division would never get a dime from Apple, and divulging such info is actually illegal in some regards. The same can be said for the Samsung division that works on screen technology, and then produces screens for Apple (and other companies).

Innovation is not the same as invention. I don't think many people claim Apple comes out of nowhere with brand new tech inventions no one has ever seen before. Where they innovate is taking a concept, like a fingerprint reader, and innovating the broader concept into a consumer product that works well and isn't just another tech product that goes nowhere and doesn't change the larger industry. Or the tablet. Apple didn't invent the tablet but they innovated the concept into a consumer tech product that people would actually use. Before the iPad tablets were basically dead and never went anywhere. After the iPad there's dozens and dozens of consumer tablets to choose from. All trying to compete against a product Apple released. Much like the iPhone. Theres dozens and dozens of Android phones, and they're competing against the iPhone aside from each other.

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
Samsung just went All In

This is a huge gamble for Samsung. I have no bias against them. I have previously owned a S4 and my wife still uses one. Samsung just doesn't get it. This phone will fail, like the last few because they don't have an EcoSystem like Apple. You can make a great looking phone but people will quit using it if they can't integrate it in their daily lives.

What Samsung is VERY good at is going from design to production in an extremely short time. They should probably just fold the whole phone division and start building Iphones and watches for Apple.

Belmont31R

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2012
This is a huge gamble for Samsung. I have no bias against them. I have previously owned a S4 and my wife still uses one. Samsung just doesn't get it. This phone will fail, like the last few because they don't have an EcoSystem like Apple. You can make a great looking phone but people will quit using it if they can't integrate it in their daily lives.

What Samsung is VERY good at is going from design to production in an extremely short time. They should probably just fold the whole phone division and start building Iphones and watches for Apple.

Maybe but once the Apple Watch was even rumored they basically started producing watches and have released a new watch every other month on average. And the first ones were terrible. Just an attempt to throw as much crap as the wall as they can have a 'me first' proclamation in some dumb ad.

And I think it works against them in some ways. Can you imagine a first time tablet buyer trying to navigate Samsung's tablet line? They have so many different models and generations with similar names its impossible for the average person to digest their lineup. I've seen people who do tech journalism for a living stumble over the similar names and models.

It's way easier to get 'the new iPad'.

Their naming scheme and lineup of phones is better but the S4 and S5 was lackluster IMO, and even though I'm iPhone fan, the G3 and M8 were much better. The iPhone 6 only cemented in their loss of market share in the premium class of phones. Their response? Make a slightly different iPhone 6 with Touchwiz Android...which is really lame. Samsung Pay is just icing on the cake for the 'me too' way Samsung has ran their consumer electronics division.

All in all the competition is good for us, and although Im an Apple fan other companies doing their own thing and coming up with stuff to keep Apple on their toes is always welcome. Its good to see phones like the Moto X, G3, and such upping the game. Samsung has the resources to compete, and come up with their own brand and style yet I always feel their marketing makes up for a lot of lackluster internal innovation and design. The Note series is about all I can really say they've done something different, and innovated.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA

I really don't know what you're saying here or agree with it at all. I have a Samsung phone - and it integrates perfectly with my life and my needs. I also have an iPhone and that integrates too. They both are different but very similar based on my use case.

You can't make sweeping generalizations. While SAMSUNG may or may not have the ecosystem people want, Google does.

It comes down to use case.

But perhaps you can elaborate on what you mean in terms of integrating. What points of integration do you think is "required" by the masses that would make this phone a fail. I ask sincerely

spacemnspiff

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
MD
You're not the only one who's sick of apologists on these forums. I don't blame you for assuming I was an Apple fan; it is MacRumors after all.

Apple is, to me, really good at implementing existing technologies. To say they invented fingerprint sensors or multi-touch is an insult to the tech industry. They're usually late to the game with their releases but I give them credit for usually doing it better than others (not always, but often).

My criticism of Samsung is that they could easily do so much more if they stopped using Apple as a guideline of what to do next. Apple is hardly the role model it used to be (I mean, Jesus, look at iOS 8 and Yosemite) and honestly it's holding Samsung back in some ways (no replaceable battery, no MicroSD, etc). I'm no phone designer or CEO but I have faith that Samsung is smart enough to do better by standing on the shoulders of technological concepts as opposed to standing on the shoulders of technological implementations. That's essentially the core of my opinion: spend more time ripping off awesome concepts (like Apple) and less time ripping off specific implementations of these awesome concepts.

This faith in Samsung stems from existing innovations that they basically perfected: stylus input, phablet features, next-gen screen technology, and much more. It makes me sad that the same company that can pull off that much creative thinking has to limit itself to another company's ideas at times.
Refreshing to see a something that I can agree with.

I just hope with all that Samsung has put in the S6, especially the processor, it does offer real world usable performance. On the flip side they have reduced battery size and increased performance with a more efficient processor, how does that affect battery life? How will the finger print sensor perform? Did Samsung really bring out a fully baked implementation or is it half baked like before, that to me is a million dollar question.

theelysium

Suspended
Nov 18, 2008
Bitters again

Wow samsung even copies apple's prototypes.

The world won't know apple thought of it first...... Now why didn't the rumored dual edge or curved edge iphone make it to market?

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Wow samsung even copies apple's prototypes.

The world won't know apple thought of it first...... Now why didn't the rumored dual edge or curved edge iphone make it to market?

Can you go into more detail?

Apple prototypes aren't generally public knowledge, so I'm curious about this statement.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
...Apple is, to me, really good at implementing existing technologies. To say they invented fingerprint sensors or multi-touch is an insult to the tech industry. They're usually late to the game with their releases but I give them credit for usually doing it better than others (not always, but often).

I agree... I think where Apple really "innovates" is in figuring out the best way to turn a collection of (existing) technologies into a real consumer product.

I don't know if any company can match Samsung at the cutting edge of mass produced technology -- Apple itself uses them all the time as a supplier. But they seem to struggle to put it all together without Apple's lead to follow. (Not that they haven't had their own successes. Large screen phones, e.g. Just not that many of them.)

damant

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2010
Wowwww..34 pages. 800+ comments ....:D

I love new tech. Regardless of who makes it... Competing is a good thing.. Challenge leads to innovations ... With this new phones , I doubt that Apple is being challenged by Samsung. Nothing new to the table. Per half Samsung fans will be happier (or not) now that their phones are not plastic anymore... While loosing awesome features like removable battery , memory card and waterproof....

A huge step backward for the consumers in general.

Dmunjal

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
Wasn't that for the 5? Well to be fair, they said that it had the perfect size for your hand (really for 1-handed use), which still holds true today.
And the ad for the Galaxy still holds true for the S5 which still has a replaceable battery. But only Apple gets the "fair" treatment on this board.

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
Have you seen the very first iPhone?

Welcome to 2007!

If you want to use the first iPhone as comparaison then here:

11160-samsung-yepp-yp-30s.jpg

Welcome to 2003 :p

philosopherdog

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2008
Samsung has made it big by building cheaper knock offs. They can't compete at the low end because of cheap Chinese handsets. The only option they have is to try to compete at the high end. Trouble is their devices and service just are not there for seriously discerning consumers.

Stanick

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2014
Sofia, Bulgaria
I think all of the fanbois here should actually thank "Samesung" because your next iPhone will probably have base 32 gigs of superfast storage, at least 2 gb of DDR4 RAM and a 14 nm 64-bit processor that will blow you away... :cool::apple:

Trapezoid

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
I think all of the fanbois here should actually thank "Samesung" because your next iPhone will probably have base 32 gigs of superfast storage, at least 2 gb of DDR4 RAM and a 14 nm 64-bit processor that will blow you away... :cool::apple:

The industry was leaning that way. Does that work when we're talking about apple?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.