Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
So according to gizmo do the high pixel count is to accomodate virtual reality.

And the phone is easier to grip and less slippery than the iPhone.

Oh, and they also say there were no accidental taps when using the edge. Good sign!

http://gizmodo.com/galaxy-s6-hands-on-samsungs-got-a-whole-new-look-1688066043

When you see things broken down like this, it's hard not to be impressed. Samsung seriously gave everything they got into this device. Supports wireless and fast charging. The new camera features (including double tap to launch), the payment modes that are more universal, the display, the louder speaker...

I mean this is a fantastic upgrade. And I'm just talking about the regular s6.

----------

I'm no expert but aren't those results really good??

Samsung really does deserve kudos for the enhancements to the S6 and S6 Edge.

My one criticism is that they need to figure out how to release their flagships closer to their keynotes.

Wiesenlooser

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
The thing I noticed with Apple devices is that their already fast. Take the iPad Air vs iPad Air 2 performance difference. Can people really see a difference to make them spend $500 to $1000 on a few milliseconds or have more web pages open? Or see a app load up one second faster? Will it be worth it for iPhone 6 customers to upgrade if they see a small difference? Even my wife's iPhone 5 runs fine and she never complains about speed hence the reason why I'm able to upgrade my Android device every year.
But those S4, S5 customers and almost everyone else will see the difference with the S6. That might be more important than comparing a S6 to a iPhone 6. And let's not forget that the S6 Edge looks bad ass.

The difference is only noticeable because the S5 really sucked bad on performance. It felt slower than the S4 because of the horrible software.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Samsung really does deserve kudos for the enhancements to the S6 and S6 Edge.

My one criticism is that they need to figure out how to release their flagships closer to their keynotes.

That is a very frustrating thing for all of us phone nerds that can't wait to get our hands on the the new phones! :)

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Holy cow, I can't take it anymore. Am I living in the twilight zone or something ? All the nerds creaming their pants over the Galaxy S6, and tech sites claiming it's the best Android smartphone ever created by man. Blah, blah, blah :rolleyes: Get a grip people, it isn't all that, your just fooled by the metal and glass.

It's funny sad how people diss the One M9 for being the same boring metal design as the M8, but Samsung finally comes out with a metal and glass built phone, and it's the second coming of Jesus. I ask this, put a case on the S6 or even the M9, and that beautiful metal design is almost instantly lost an forgotten with that case on. And the majority of the public does indeed slap cases on their phones.

And then that leaves what you actually see and use daily, which is the OS and UI itself, not the fancy glass back or cool blue colors of the phone, but the actual operation of Touchwiz or Sense or Vanilla Android. And IMO Tocuhwiz still sucks, they just removed some pre-installed apps, but it's still the same ol Touchwiz from like the Note 4 running Lollipop, meaning same icons, same messed up menu not matching stock Android's menus whatsoever, still taking up a lot of RAM space. Where's this all new Touchwiz supposedly like a Nexus OS ? LOL, was never gonna happen.

And then look at what Samsung removed;

- No more water resistance
- No more removable battery
- No more SD Card slot
- Smaller battery
- But hey, it's now metal and glass on the back and super thin = sexy Android phone :rolleyes:

I guess my point is, I am shocked at how tech geeks get sucked in with the metal and glass design and give a pass on the same ol Touchwiz or smaller battery, or no more waterproof. But because the S6 is an iPhone like design, it's awesome now all of a sudden. And then I am also surprised how superficial people are, that HTC keeps the award winning design of the M8, with the M9, and now that phone sucks, even though it has a faster processor, more RAM, better camera, bigger battery, new OS, new UI. But because it looks the same as last years model, it blows

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Holy cow, I can't take it anymore. Am I living in the twilight zone or something ? All the nerds creaming their pants over the Galaxy S6, and tech sites claiming it's the best Android smartphone ever created by man. Blah, blah, blah :rolleyes: Get a grip people, it isn't all that, your just fooled by the metal and glass.

It's funny sad how people diss the One M9 for being the same boring metal design as the M8, but Samsung finally comes out with a metal and glass built phone, and it's the second coming of Jesus. I ask this, put a case on the S6 or even the M9, and that beautiful metal design is almost instantly lost an forgotten with that case on. And the majority of the public does indeed slap cases on their phones.

And then that leaves what you actually see and use daily, which is the OS and UI itself, not the fancy glass back or cool blue colors of the phone, but the actual operation of Touchwiz or Sense or Vanilla Android. And IMO Tocuhwiz still sucks, they just removed some pre-installed apps, but it's still the same ol Touchwiz from like the Note 4 running Lollipop, meaning same icons, same messed up menu not matching stock Android's menus whatsoever, still taking up a lot of RAM space. Where's this all new Touchwiz supposedly like a Nexus OS ? LOL, was never gonna happen.

- No more SD Card slot
- Smaller battery
- But hey, it's now metal and glass on the back and super thin = sexy Android phone :rolleyes:

I guess my point is, I am shocked at how tech geeks get sucked in with the metal and glass design and give a pass on the same ol Touchwiz or smaller battery, or no more waterproof. But because the S6 is an iPhone like design, it's awesome now all of a sudden. And then I am also surprised how superficial people are, that HTC keeps the award winning design of the M8, with the M9, and now that phone sucks, even though it has a faster processor, more RAM, better camera, bigger battery, new OS, new UI. But because it looks the same as last years model, it blows

If you think its just about the metal and glass, you haven't been paying attention. At all.

S6 is a disappointment to you. We get it. Move onto the HTC m9 thread.

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
I think m8/m9 fanatics are more bumhurt than Apple fanatics. They cant seem to comprehend that not everyone has the same opinions as them

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
If you think its just about the metal and glass, you haven't been paying attention. At all.

S6 is a disappointment to you. We get it. Move onto the HTC m9 thread.

I'm not getting the M9 either, not because it looks the same, I will hold out until Snapdragon 820 phones arrive, running Android M, next winter. I did have the M8 GPE, and LOVED that phone. And I have also had several Galaxy phones over the years, and the Note 2 being my fav, great ROM development on that beast, easy to root, and install custom Recovery.

But I fail to see the glory in the S6 ? 2k display IMO is silly. Dying to see battery life results, but I doubt it will compare to my Jailbreak 6 Plus, or OnePlus One, which both phones would last 2+ days easily.

If the S6 can get iPhone 6 Plus type battery life, then I will seriously look closer at it.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I'm not getting the M9 either, not because it looks the same, I will hold out until Snapdragon 820 phones arrive, running Android M, next winter. I did have the M8 GPE, and LOVED that phone. And I have also had several Galaxy phones over the years, and the Note 2 being my fav, great ROM development on that beast, easy to root, and install custom Recovery.

But I fail to see the glory in the S6 ? 2k display IMO is silly. Dying to see battery life results, but I doubt it will compare to my Jailbreak 6 Plus, or OnePlus One, which both phones would last 2+ days easily.

If the S6 can get iPhone 6 Plus type battery life, then I will seriously look closer at it.

I agree there are factors even I am wary about, including battery life and touch wiz. However, this doesn't mean people can't nor shouldn't get excited about the s6. You are gravely mistaken if you think it's all about metal and glass. As you say, metal and glass are not new (iPhone, Sony, etc) so why would it only be that? Your assessment is wrong and you've already made your points ad nauseum regarding your disappointments with the s6. They've already been discussed. So please move onto other threads.

Speaking of the HTC thread, multiple early impressions of the camera are still disappointing. Its lacking ois compared to the s6 and edge. There are concerns about overheating reported by an tutu. People (rightly so) think HTC's designs are stagnanted. They want a singular design language, fine but that'll come at a price that the average consumer will not understand (they simply are not apple and can't get a way with it). Again, all this is available to discuss in the HTC m9 thread, the device you profess should be receiving our admiration.

The s6 and the edge, on the other hand, have had nearly all positive early impressions, including the camera, feel, performabce, benchmarks, and features, and more. It's far more than "metal and glass".

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

The S6 or the S6E is not a competitor to the 6+. The 6+ is a complete phablet and is larger with a much bigger battery. Compare the 6+ to the Note 4. My Note 4 and 6+ are about even as far as battery life goes.
But I can't wait to see what battery life the S6 gets.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
The s6 and the edge, on the other hand, have had nearly all positive early impressions, including the camera, feel, performabce, benchmarks, and features, and more. It's far more than "metal and glass".

I am serious, what new "features" does the S6 bring to the table, over let's say it's previous brother the S5 ?

- Water resistance = gone
- Removable battery = gone
- SD Card = gone
- Faster = yes of course, it's next generation, so the annual performance upgrades are expected.
- Better camera = yes, but again, to be expected on a next gen device
- All new metal and glass build = yes, that's cool I guess
- Touchwiz stripped down to be comparable to a Nexus phone OS ? Not from what I have read. What happened to "Project Zero" ?
- Battery life = ? No idea yet. If just the same as the S5 IMO that sucks. They should strive for Motorola MAXX type battery life, and not be so concerned with a wafer thin slim design.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
So ur saying that photo of the s6 doesn't look at all like the iphone6?

And didn't Apple have aluminum backs with the iPod touch 5th gen?

Did I say that? iPod touch is not a phone..........Apple wasn't the first to use metal or unibody phones either.....
As i stated in the other thread you replied to.
Everyone takes design cues from each other. Just as Apple did from the M7. Just as Apple followed Android with larger screen phones. Just as Apple did with smaller tablets. they did the last 2 even after disparaging the larger phones and smaller tablets.

green9206

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2014
I like the new Galaxy S6 but not that price. Android phones are supposed to be cheaper than Apple phones so the more affordable options like Nexus 5 and Moto X 2014 are in my opinion better and cheaper options.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I am serious, what new "features" does the S6 bring to the table, over let's say it's previous brother the S5 ?

- Water resistance = gone
- Removable battery = gone
- SD Card = gone
- Faster = yes of course, it's next generation, so the annual performance upgrades are expected.
- Better camera = yes, but again, to be expected on a next gen device
- All new metal and glass build = yes, that's cool I guess
- Touchwiz stripped down to be comparable to a Nexus phone OS ? Not from what I have read. What happened to "Project Zero" ?
- Battery life = ? No idea yet. If just the same as the S5 IMO that sucks. They should strive for Motorola MAXX type battery life, and not be so concerned with a wafer thin slim design.

Yawn, we've been through this before. Yes, it's a shame it loses those features, but we always knew that whatever Samsung did, it would be polarizing. If they kept a removable back and waterproofing, there would have been compromises to the build quality, aesthetics of the device -- a constant sore point that Samsung has been criticized heavily for. If they lost all that and had a nicer build instead, there would be those who would cry that it's not worth the trade offs just to get a thinner/nicer looking device.

How many times are we going to discuss this? If it's such a huge loss to you, you can visit any of the other Android OEMs that offer those options to you, or stick with Apple. Or maybe Samsung's plan down the line is to release a 2015 Active variant that retains those features.

Samsung had to address the design (they've been shredded to death year after year for their lack of design). Samsung profits have also been hurting. ......

You know what. In typing this mid-way, I realize I don't have to convince you of anything. I'll only say one last time, if you think it's just about metal and glass, you haven't been paying attention. Good luck.

hot spare

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2011
UFS 2.0 FTW!!

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Andr...ory-speeds-obliterate-other-flagships_id66813

storagespeedyeu7n.png

Last edited:

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
Are you trolling?

If that is the case then the same can be said about the IP6 to the M7.
The M7 was out 2 years ahead of the IP6.

----------

The S6 or the S6E is not a competitor to the 6+. The 6+ is a complete phablet and is larger with a much bigger battery. Compare the 6+ to the Note 4. My Note 4 and 6+ are about even as far as battery life goes.
But I can't wait to see what battery life the S6 gets.

That's a horrible comparison. I don't find the 6 and M7 to look really that similar at all except the aluminum finish and a slight similarity in antenna lines. Certainly not enough similarities to consider that Apple stole the design. I mean seriously. Look at the pic of the S6 bottom next to the iP6 bottom. SERIOUSLY. And the sad thing is looking at those side by side pics, the S6 almost looks like a chinese knock off that was trying to build an iPhone 6 wannabe. Look at how much more premium the finish looks on the iP6, even down to the speaker holes. And that awful off center usb port on the S6, ew. No taste.

It's clear where Samsung got it's inspiration for the S6. And I'm glad the iPhone is inspiring to others. Solidifies the fact that I have the #1 smartphone in the world.

Last edited:

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
That is a very frustrating thing for all of us phone nerds that can't wait to get our hands on the the new phones! :)

Yeah, that can be true. Even with the delays, us diehards will get them.

However, I'm speaking of the general phone user. Samsung gets them excited and then makes them wait. By the time the flagship is available, some other oem gets their interest. By making their products available closer to their sales pitches, they could garner a lot more sales.

Apple takes advantage of this pretty well.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Not a fan of McAfee VirusScan Mobile being pre-installed. I will disable that immediately.

I like Lookout a lot on my Note 4, which was pre-installed by T-mobile and free premium activation for JUMP subscribers. I hope T-mobile does the same with the S6.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
So ur saying that photo of the s6 doesn't look at all like the iphone6?

Only the bottom looks like the iPhone 6. That's it.

God forbid anyone that uses a similar style speaker grill and puts the Headphone jack on the bottom. :eek:

----------

Yeah, that can be true. Even with the delays, us diehards will get them.

However, I'm speaking of the general phone user. Samsung gets them excited and then makes them wait. By the time the flagship is available, some other oem gets their interest. By making their products available closer to their sales pitches, they could garner a lot more sales.

Apple takes advantage of this pretty well.

100% agreed. If the S6 Edge 128gb is delayed, I'm just going wait for the Note 5 and they will lose my sale. I think it's crucial that Samsung makes everything available at release.

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
Only the bottom looks like the iPhone 6. That's it.

God forbid anyone that uses a similar style speaker grill and puts the Headphone jack on the bottom. :eek:

Um, no. That's a deliberate copy. The bottom portion is such a clear copy that it doesnt even MATTER what the rest of the phone looks like because the bottom is already such a clear indication of where they got the design idea.

God forbid Samsung comes up with their OWN effing design. Tacky as hell.

Last edited:

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN

- No more SD Card slot
- Smaller battery

For me, the enthusiasm is not necessarily for the S6 but for the possibilities of the Note 5. With the improved processor, camera, and wireless charging, I'm intrigued. But, yes, the design changes of the S6 look good and the edge looks very interesting. Can't wait for real world experiences.

The M9 looks pretty good, too. In the coming weeks, We'll see how user reviews pan out.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
http://www.theverge.com/2015/3/3/8134417/hands-on-with-the-galaxy-s6-version-of-the-gear-vr

This is why the S6 has the display resolution it has.

As long as that battery can keep pushing it, it's not "overkill" as some critics might say. It's meant for VR.

----------

Not a fan of McAfee VirusScan Mobile being pre-installed. I will disable that immediately.

I like Lookout a lot on my Note 4, which was pre-installed by T-mobile and free premium activation for JUMP subscribers. I hope T-mobile does the same with the S6.

Question: are Tmobile devices branded "Tmobile" anywhere?

----------

10 features of the Samsung Galaxy S6 that can't be found on the HTC One M9

http://www.phonearena.com/news/10-f...-that-cant-be-found-on-the-HTC-One-M9_id66807

6 features that the HTC One M9 has but the Galaxy S6 and S6 edge do not

http://www.phonearena.com/news/6-fe...-but-the-Galaxy-S6-and-S6-edge-do-not_id66808

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.