Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

e93to

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 23, 2015
Toronto
Hello. I have a mid-2009 15-inch MBP with Core 2 Duo 2.53 GHz, 4gb RAM and NVIDIA GeForce 9400M. I still run Snow Leopard on my MBP.

I am planning to install 250gb SSD (Samsung 840 Evo 2.5" SATA) and 8gb RAM.

Will these new upgrades make Mountain Lion run smooth? (no UI lag, no choppy animation, no overheating, no fans spinning up above 5000+ RPM, etc). I only use MBP for basic tasks like browsing on Safari, movie streaming on Mubi and Fandor, watching YouTube, MS Word+PowerPoint, etc.

I tried Mavericks on partition last year, and fans would not stop spinning even though no app was open.... So I am kind of worried about updating to newer OS. Snow Leopard still runs amazing after 5+ years, but I want newer iCloud-based connectivity features. I also want to run some modern apps.

Thanks in advance

Command

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2015
USA
I have a Late08 MacBookPro 2.66 and I've put a SSD and 8GB in it and it's running Yosemite just fine. I don't use it for anything heavy PRO related (graphics / video edit, etc.) but for everyday, all day use, it's great.

Additionally, I ran it with Mountain Lion before the SSD upgrade and it was also fine. It's handled up to Mavericks before the SSD upgrade. I can't remember the 4 to 8GB upgrade but I think it was around the Mountain Lion era.

e93to

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 23, 2015
Toronto
I also have to mention that I run quite a number of apps that run in the background - Hyperdock, Popclip, Fantastical, Degrees, Dropbox, Google Drive, Divx plugin, aLaunch, Caffeine, Jumpcut, etc. I will install Clear Day and One Drive after upgrading to Mountain Lion.

Thanks

----------

I have a Late08 MacBookPro 2.66 and I've put a SSD and 8GB in it and it's running Yosemite just fine. I don't use it for anything heavy PRO related (graphics / video edit, etc.) but for everyday, all day use, it's great.

Additionally, I ran it with Mountain Lion before the SSD upgrade and it was also fine. It's handled up to Mavericks before the SSD upgrade. I can't remember the 4 to 8GB upgrade but I think it was around the Mountain Lion era.

Thanks for the reply! Maybe I should upgrade to Yosemite after all.

Command

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2015
USA
Well... I suppose your mileage my vary. The Mac in and of itself will run the later OS X just fine but what you put on it and how deep you pile it will affect any system accordingly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.