Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dsmedic10

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2015
I don't know if an MBA would handle that very well. I don't have any third party synths to use. You can use multiple effects via bus assignment rather than new instances on each track.
There was a logic file you could download that had like 200 tracks of synths on it. The point was to load the file and enable tracks until your computer gives up the ghost. When I did this I got about 20 tracks. Powerful Mac Pro systems could handle 100-200 tracks. So a MBA a would not be a good solution if you are going to run 100 synths. For my persons, usage it works perfectly. I have 20-25 or so audio tracks with a few bussed effects and it works lovely.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
Since you are anxious about the RAM requirements I might recommend taking a look at the offers mediamarkt and saturn have on the base rmbp.
For 300€ more you'd get the retina display, more ports, 8gb Ram, faster CPU and GPU.

Woochoo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2014
I don't know if an MBA would handle that very well. I don't have any third party synths to use. You can use multiple effects via bus assignment rather than new instances on each track.
There was a logic file you could download that had like 200 tracks of synths on it. The point was to load the file and enable tracks until your computer gives up the ghost. When I did this I got about 20 tracks. Powerful Mac Pro systems could handle 100-200 tracks. So a MBA a would not be a good solution if you are going to run 100 synths. For my persons, usage it works perfectly. I have 20-25 or so audio tracks with a few bussed effects and it works lovely.

Great to hear, ty. Anyway, 20 fully loaded tracks is a reasonable amount since you can send FX through buses like you said and avoid a lot of effects, and I don't conceive a project with more than 15 snyhts/virtual instruments playing at once :D

dsmedic10

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2015
Like I said in my case the 2012 MBA works very well. If I was making money as a studio engineer then I'd have opted for a full blown desktop or MacBook pro with all the options. But I just make music for small distribution and the MBA a I have works just fine. I use an external monitor 27" via TB/HDMI and an external mouse/keyboard. I also use a TASCAM us-1800 as an interface. It works without problems, no drop outs or studdering etc.
If you have a big synth project or you run 50 tracks then maybe a MBA is not for you.

My advice - take s project you have put it on a flash drive and visit your local apple shop. Ask if you can demo Logic Pro on a MBA and load your project. See if the performance is acceptable to you. Remember you are trading horsepower for portability. If you plan on keeping the MBA on your desk then maybe s iMac/Mac pro would be better. But for $1000 and a 3 lb laptop, it's hard to argue that it's not a good choice for myself.

buchacho

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2008
Edit: Oops, you want to run Logic Pro X... Well it would be ridiculous if it was a dog with a new system, but that's a good question. I have been using Logic Pro 9 and plan keeping it longer since I am happy with it.

I have used Logic Pro 9 with a early 2008 MBP with 4GB of RAM, so a new MBA should be more than adequate. Not only is the processor at least twice as fast, but the SSD storage should reduce recording latency substantially. I will be installing it on my new MBA in the next few days.

Last edited:

paolocastillio

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2015
Newbie in Need of Guidance :)

Hello everyone,

I just recently stumbled upon this thread and was hoping to get some leads.

I'm really new to this, just picking up a hobby I suppose, seeing if i'm into it or not. Nothing serious.

I want to create trance/electronic music. I'm thinking about purchasing the Logic Pro X for my Macbook Air.

Here are the specs of my MBA:

- 13-inch
- 1.8GHz Intel Dual-Core Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 2.8GHz
- 4GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
- 128GB Flash Storage

I'm just hoping to see what people think. Will it work? Will it crash? Will the specs on my computer be enough?

Like I said, I'm really an amateur. I just want the chance to experience/research/learn/get to know logic pro x. I think it would be a cool hobby to create some trance/electronic music. And I just really want to get the basics and intro down of the tools available out there.

Thanks for the help!

Paolo.

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Logic Pro X runs on my 17" 2008 Mac Book Pro with 6GB of ram and ssd drive. Now, I am not pushing the envelope regarding audio but for sure is going to run well in a MB Air. Again... do not push the envelope.

Minapro

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2019
Lol, absolutely impossible? :D:D:D don't trust those funny resellers as they want you to spend as much as possible.
TOTALLY FALSE that you can't run Logic Pro X on an Air. I can run it quite smoothly in my MBP 2010 (with a Core 2 Duo, which is almost 3 times less powerful than the i5 of the actual Air). Obviously if you're going to work at 192KHz and 24 bits with multiple channels crowded of VST's and VSTi's it won't do. But almost nobody works at 192KHz (only professionals), even most producers or audio editors do it at 44,5KHz (or 96KHz) so it will be fine.

If you are seriously concerned about how can it scale (giantic projects and high demandings) then wait and go for a 15" rMBP. But if you plan to produce music or sound design, edit audio and all that stuff, you can easily go with a MBA.

But if you are still doubting, if you can try some friend's MBA (a 2013 or a 2014 would be fine) with Logic Pro X or any other DAW, just create a MIDI channel with a synth playing, put vst's (or the native effects of the DAW) in each channel (reverb, EQ's, compressors, delays, filters, saturators...) and duplicate the track until the MBA can't handle it and the sound starts popping and crackling. I bet you will be surprised of how many "heavy" channels can it handle.
Hey! I have a real problem with my MBA 13 that can’t handle even one channel and starts crackling!! Does anyone know if that can be fixed??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.