Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Saucepan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2015
I am fairly new to xCode6 and am having difficulties getting my app to drop a pin on my current location. What I would like to do is to allow the user to mark his/her current location with a pin by pressing the button "drop pin", and then capture the long and lat of that coordinate - preferably in a println().

I have searched around for a bit, but not found anyone explaining this in swift or xcode6. As I have no idea how to translate from whatever old language was used to swift I figured I'd post the question here.

I have the following code, please help me out.

Code:
import UIKit
import MapKit
import CoreLocation

class ViewController: UIViewController, MKMapViewDelegate, CLLocationManagerDelegate   {

@IBOutlet var myMap : MKMapView!

let locationManager = CLLocationManager()

override func viewDidLoad() {
    super.viewDidLoad()

self.locationManager.delegate = self
    self.locationManager.desiredAccuracy = kCLLocationAccuracyBest
    self.locationManager.requestWhenInUseAuthorization()
    self.locationManager.startUpdatingLocation()
    self.locationManager.requestWhenInUseAuthorization()

// Do any additional setup after loading the view, typically from a nib.
}

override func didReceiveMemoryWarning() {
    super.didReceiveMemoryWarning()
    // Dispose of any resources that can be recreated.
}
@IBAction func satelliteView(){
    myMap.mapType = MKMapType.Satellite
}

@IBAction func normalView(){

myMap.mapType = MKMapType.Standard

}
@IBAction func dropPin(){

}  
}

Last edited by a moderator:

kage207

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Here's what you need for the pin:

Code:
var mapAnnotation = MKPointAnnotation()
mapAnnotation.coordinate = locationManager
mapAnnotation.title = "If you want a title"
mapAnnotation.subtitle = "or subtitle"
myMap.addAnnotation(mapAnnotation)

Saucepan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2015
Here's what you need for the pin:

Code:

I put that into my dropPin() function but it is returning an error, complaining that the "locationManager" on row 2 is not convertible to CLLocationCoordinate2D. Here is my code now:

Code:

}

Last edited by a moderator:

kage207

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
I put that into my dropPin() function but it is returning an error, complaining that the "locationManager" on row 2 is not convertible to CLLocationCoordinate2D. Here is my code now:

Code:

}

You need to look into CLLocationManager and look that the location property. Then you need to convert that from CLLocation to CLLocationCoordinate2D. You really should look at the Apple documentation.

https://developer.apple.com/library...pple_ref/occ/instp/CLLocationManager/delegate

On the last note, I didn't think that code would work exactly cause I copied and pasted a code snippet of mine and changed things slighty. This forum is more to help with errors, point you to resources to help you and to help understand things. Not to code for you.

Saucepan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2015
You need to look into CLLocationManager and look that the location property. Then you need to convert that from CLLocation to CLLocationCoordinate2D. You really should look at the Apple documentation.

https://developer.apple.com/library...pple_ref/occ/instp/CLLocationManager/delegate

On the last note, I didn't think that code would work exactly cause I copied and pasted a code snippet of mine and changed things slighty. This forum is more to help with errors, point you to resources to help you and to help understand things. Not to code for you.

Thank you for the info on the developers documents. I will look into it.

I am also sorry if I offended you by asking for code info. I am very new to coding and was just looking for help with a problem I was having. I never expected to get free coding here, bur was rather viewing this forum as a point to get info on how to cross a smaller hurdle. I do not think I was out of line for asking, but apparently I was. I can only hope you can accept my deepest apologies.

kage207

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Thank you for the info on the developers documents. I will look into it.

I am also sorry if I offended you by asking for code info. I am very new to coding and was just looking for help with a problem I was having. I never expected to get free coding here, bur was rather viewing this forum as a point to get info on how to cross a smaller hurdle. I do not think I was out of line for asking, but apparently I was. I can only hope you can accept my deepest apologies.

No worries.

waterskier2007

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2007
Novi, MI

Code:

}

You really just need to change this line

Code:

to

Code:
mapAnnotation.coordinate = locationManager.location.coordinate

You don't want to assign the locationManager to the coordinate but get the location of the location manager, and assign that to the coordinate.

I think this should work, but I'm just going based on everything else that was posted being correct

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.