Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
I am not a hip hop person. I prefer bands like Yes, Pink Floyd, Rush, Voivod, Emperor, a-Ha, Depeche Mode, Front 242, Napalm Death, Skinny Puppy and others. But I REALLY did like Kanye West's performance at SNL 40. It was pretty amazing. Ethereal and smart. Just wanted to say this, I'm glad I ignored my superficial and shallow boundaries, that performance was absolutely perfect, including his shot voice :-D

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Tonight, idly scrolling through the iTunes on my MBA (instead of listening to my iPod Classic), I decided to linger on the haunting 'Lacrimosa' from the awesome 'Requiem', by W. A. Mozart.

However, after that, something more upbeat was required, hence my next track:

'Living Room' by Paris Combo.

This, in turn, was followed by a track from one of those rather well known British bands of the 80s, OMD (Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark) with a song called 'Messages' (along with a few others, which included 'Joan of Arc', 'Maid of Orleans', and 'Enola Gay').

Then, a little modern interpretation of some Renaissance music, an excellent group called 'Per Kelt', and a few lovely tracks: 'Bertaeyn', 'Nouvel Amor' (with such a title, one could never guess what that one is about), 'A Que Por', and the outstanding 'Benedetta'.

Last edited:

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
I'm going to give up with this obscure macrumors video integration thingy... anyway... this is Gold, Frankincense & Disk Drive with "Everyone's forgotten Monday", a pretty cool anti-war song, including Guy Manning from The Tangent - they did come up with an own rendition of this song later, I prefer this, it has the Sisters of Mercy-Mainstream-Goth-Synth-Rock thing going on..

YouTube: video

andymodem

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2008
Baltimore, MD
Didn't realize Mat Kearney's new album came out on the 24th so I bought it on iTunes last night.

510aF1clQEL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Centaurr

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2015
Florida
Ana Tijoux - 1977 (Breaking Bad soundtrack)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-03-01 at 6.05.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-03-01 at 6.05.01 PM.png
    168.7 KB · Views: 63

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
John Lennon's album Imagine

Great choice.

And I have graduated to listening (for the first time in an age) to a (seminal is the adjective most usually used) group called 'Neutral Milk Hotel'.

The album is called 'In The Aeroplane Over The Sea' (I was reprimanded by a mutual friend on these very threads fro using the term 'aeroplane' rather than 'airplane' but - hey, I am not from the US, but am a proud - and only occasionally - somewhat stubborn - European).

And the song I am listening to comes with the interesting title 'Communist Daughter'.

Centaurr

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2015
Florida
los amigos invisibles (latin funk with a disco & acid jazz feel)

Attachments

• Commercial-losamigosinvisbles.jpg
    Commercial-losamigosinvisbles.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 60

keithneese

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2014
Alabama
Mat Kearney's new album "Just Kids". I listened to it at work today. Beautiful album. Hauntingly powerful songs that speak to the human condition worldwide. Well worth a listen, if you haven't already.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Masterful pianist, good choice!

Have you ever listened to Azymuth? - a Brazilian jazz-funk fabulous trio from the sixties? ('Jazz Carnival' - which is fantastic - is probably their best known tune). Somewhat similar to Oscar Peterson.

I had the astounding privilege of seeing them play live - three Brazilian guys well into their sixties - and, oh, sheer unadulterated class, absolutely brilliant - in my home town a little over a decade ago.

Astonishingly, they were playing in a pub, famous for its jazz venues, rather than in a concert hall - these absolute legends! Actually, I had (have) all of their CDs - and couldn't believe that I was able to get a ticket to go to the show without any hassle, one day before the performance (and I only got to hear of it by accident). A privilege, a pleasure, and what a performance.

Re Oscar Peterson, and 'Wave', I love that track, and the last two minutes are spell binding. Really glad you liked it.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Have you ever listened to Azymuth? - a Brazilian jazz-funk fabulous trio from the sixties? ('Jazz Carnival' - which is fantastic - is probably their best known tune). Somewhat similar to Oscar Peterson.

I had the astounding privilege of seeing them play live - three Brazilian guys well into their sixties - and, oh, sheer unadulterated class, absolutely brilliant - in my home town a little over a decade ago.

Astonishingly, they were playing in a pub, famous for its jazz venues, rather than in a concert hall - these absolute legends! Actually, I had (have) all of their CDs - and couldn't believe that I was able to get a ticket to go to the show without any hassle, one day before the performance (and I only got to hear of it by accident). A privilege, a pleasure, and what a performance.

Re Oscar Peterson, and 'Wave', I love that track, and the last two minutes are spell binding. Really glad you liked it.

I haven't heard them, but I'll definitely check them out. Thanks!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I haven't heard them, but I'll definitely check them out. Thanks!

Re the concert that Azymuth played, initially, when I heard about it and saw the posters, I assumed it was a tribute band.

Subsequent enquiries revealed that it was the actual, genuine group, and the tickets - now that I look back on it - were priced a fair bit above what would have been considered average.

I brought an old college friend of mine along with me - having bought him a ticket, assuming that he would enjoy it, as we are of a similar vintage. He spotted (with understated approval) that the audience was an unusual one for that venue, being comprised mainly of a 'somewhat older' demographic, the youngest people there would have been in their thirties. The ambience was terrific, relaxed, quiet easy drinking, and listening to legends playing some stunning music.

Actually, the audience were music lovers, who had heard - and knew - this music. And it was a wonderful experience to be able to listen - in such cosy surroundings - to some of my favourite music played by the legends - three Brazilian guys well into their sixties! - who had created it.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
The Con – Tegan and Sara

Don't worry, the singers are twins; you haven't developed some variant of prosopagnosia.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Re the concert that Azymuth played, initially, when I heard about it and saw the posters, I assumed it was a tribute band.

Subsequent enquiries revealed that it was the actual, genuine group, and the tickets - now that I look back on it - were priced a fair bit above what would have been considered average.

I brought an old college friend of mine along with me - having bought him a ticket, assuming that he would enjoy it, as we are of a similar vintage. He spotted (with understated approval) that the audience was an unusual one for that venue, being comprised mainly of a 'somewhat older' demographic, the youngest people there would have been in their thirties. The ambience was terrific, relaxed, quiet easy drinking, and listening to legends playing some stunning music.

Actually, the audience were music lovers, who had heard - and knew - this music. And it was a wonderful experience to be able to listen - in such cosy surroundings - to some of my favourite music played by the legends - three Brazilian guys well into their sixties! - who had created it.

Definitely enjoying this, thanks.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Definitely enjoying this, thanks.

YouTube: video

Great. I'm delighted - I had a feeling you might like their music.

Two of my favourite tracks of theirs are 'Jazz Festival' and 'Last Summer in Rio', but I love most of their stuff.

You know, after dinner, I think I'll have a beer (or two) and take the time to listen to a few tracks by Azymuth.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.