Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sumer

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2015
Toronto
This is my first post. Hope i'm in the right forum?? I am new to mac but here is my problem; I am running Mountain Lion on an unsupported mac early 2008 2.1 ghz using mlpostfactor V0.3 All seem to be working well but I can't seem to get file share to work. I have configured file share the same as it was in Lion?? It sees my windows computers on my local network but when I try to connect I get a connection fail error?? If I boot into lion osx file share works fine. Hope can someone help

I installed mountain lion 10.8.5 with macpostfactor on my Mac pro 1.1 with the stock video card (ATI x1900). it worked better for me the MLpostfactor because with MLPF my wifi was out of wack. Anyway File sharing works for me with Macpostfactor-both ways. You just need to turn wifi off then back on and the computers will connect. My mac pro sees my mac book (running yesomite) and vice versa. hopefully the Macpostfactor betab2 comes out soon.

Sidenote -i even used macpostfactor to install mavericks on my mac pro 1.1 with the same stock video card. The performance was decent- Screen savers worked but i was unable to play videos or watch a DVD. I know thats because of the video card. i just though i'd try tho-lol

davg

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2015
I installed mountain lion 10.8.5 with macpostfactor on my Mac pro 1.1 with the stock video card (ATI x1900). it worked better for me the MLpostfactor because with MLPF my wifi was out of wack. Anyway File sharing works for me with Macpostfactor-both ways. You just need to turn wifi off then back on and the computers will connect. My mac pro sees my mac book (running yesomite) and vice versa. hopefully the Macpostfactor betab2 comes out soon.

Sidenote -i even used macpostfactor to install mavericks on my mac pro 1.1 with the same stock video card. The performance was decent- Screen savers worked but i was unable to play videos or watch a DVD. I know thats because of the video card. i just though i'd try tho-lol
Thanks sumer. Where did you get macpostfactor? I downloaded macpostfactor 0.2.b from a link on this site but it does not work?? it looks like a great program but when I run it it passes the verification but hangs on waiting you to click skip ad?

sumer

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2015
Toronto
Thanks sumer. Where did you get macpostfactor? I downloaded macpostfactor 0.2.b from a link on this site but it does not work?? it looks like a great program but when I run it it passes the verification but hangs on waiting you to click skip ad?

I downloaded it from http://osxhackers.tk/MCPF/index.html

I know there is a bug with the skip ad screen for mac mini's I believe. it kept hanging when i was trying to make a mavericks installer but with mountain lion it was ok.(I eventually got the mavericks installer) I was disconnected from the net and it made the installer. Also make sure your wifi is off if your using wired connection (i had internet sharing on) lastly if you get a hang and try to restart the program it may not let you make the installer in the same location. Simple erase the target drive where you want to instal it in and start again.

davg

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2015
I downloaded it from http://osxhackers.tk/MCPF/index.html

I know there is a bug with the skip ad screen for mac mini's I believe. it kept hanging when i was trying to make a mavericks installer but with mountain lion it was ok.(I eventually got the mavericks installer) I was disconnected from the net and it made the installer. Also make sure your wifi is off if your using wired connection (i had internet sharing on) lastly if you get a hang and try to restart the program it may not let you make the installer in the same location. Simple erase the target drive where you want to instal it in and start again.
Its a bug for the macbook 4,1 as will I tried disconnecting from the the net and it will just quit??

sumer

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2015
Toronto
Its a bug for the macbook 4,1 as will I tried disconnecting from the the net and it will just quit??

just keep trying it took me a few well a little more than a few tries to get it going. Hopefully they release the new updated beta that is supposed to fix this,

davg

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2015
just keep trying it took me a few well a little more than a few tries to get it going. Hopefully they release the new updated beta that is supposed to fix this,
I just don't know what to try?? If I turn off the wifi it will not work at all and if I don't it hangs on that pesky ad. You suggested that you had internet sharing turned on? What difference did that make?

sumer

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2015
Toronto
I just don't know what to try?? If I turn off the wifi it will not work at all and if I don't it hangs on that pesky ad. You suggested that you had internet sharing turned on? What difference did that make?

Internet sharing was on but wifi was off. That shouldn't make difference tho. The time that it worked was when I did it on my laptop that has yesomite on it and there was no internet connection. It hung for a bit, I was gonna quit it but it went through the steps and was successful. I created the mountain lion install on a usb stick.

I will say that I use macpostfactor over MLPF only because WiFi works better for me with it. File sharing works better in MLPF (connects instantly) but WiFi is screwed up.For some reason the connecting computer doesn't show the regular connection bars it shows the triangle symbol like the transmitting mac-odd. Anyway I feel Macpostfactor is the way to go once you create the install,if I want PM me so we don't clutter the thread.

Cheers

pgrif

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2012
Eugene, OR
Upgrade ML

I just used MPF to install 10.8 on my 2006 iMac 5,1. I copied the boot.efi and boots.efi from the new installation.They are found in System>Library>CoreServices. I then updated to 10.8.5 via the App store.Now 10.8.5 wont boot so I installed the original boot.efi files in the upgraded system. One boot.efi also goes in usr>Standalone.Seems to work just fine.

sumer

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2015
Toronto
I just used MPF to install 10.8 on my 2006 iMac 5,1. I copied the boot.efi and boots.efi from the new installation.They are found in System>Library>CoreServices. I then updated to 10.8.5 via the App store.Now 10.8.5 wont boot so I installed the original boot.efi files in the upgraded system. One boot.efi also goes in usr>Standalone.Seems to work just fine.

Glad you got your system up and running. How is wifi? Also check this out

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/19711426/

to create a recovery partition and get Airdrop running. Your gonna have to call apple to fix imessage. Just tell them your still running Lion.

Cheers

pgrif

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2012
Eugene, OR
missing sound

Glad you got your system up and running. How is wifi? Also check this out

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/19711426/

to create a recovery partition and get Airdrop running. Your gonna have to call apple to fix imessage. Just tell them your still running Lion.

Cheers
Wifi and file transfer work great, but Ive got no sound. If I remember correctly, theres a kext that I need.

sumer

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2015
Toronto
Wifi and file transfer work great, but Ive got no sound. If I remember correctly, theres a kext that I need.

I believe it's the AppleHDA kext. I remember it from my Hackintosh days.

Edit: I just realized you used macpostfactor (misread and thought mlpostfactor) Macpostfactor is solid for me no audio issues but connecting to another mac via file transfer is sometimes slow.

pgrif

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2012
Eugene, OR
No sound

I believe it's the AppleHDA kext. I remember it from my Hackintosh days.

Edit: I just realized you used macpostfactor (misread and thought mlpostfactor) Macpostfactor is solid for me no audio issues but connecting to another mac via file transfer is sometimes slow.

I have the AppleHDA.kext but still no sound. Anybody got an idea of how to solve this problem" iMac 5,1 running 10.8.5.

pgrif

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2012
Eugene, OR
10.8.5 sound working

Got my sound working, after countless trys, found an AppleHDA.kext that worked.
I got it from the Yosemite patches available from OSXH. All AppleHDA.kexts are not the same.

sumer

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2015
Toronto
Got my sound working, after countless trys, found an AppleHDA.kext that worked.
I got it from the Yosemite patches available from OSXH. All AppleHDA.kexts are not the same.

Thats good to hear. Have you got Airdrop working? There are terminal codes to enable/disable it.

Cheers

pgrif

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2012
Eugene, OR
system preferences crashing in 10.8.5

Thats good to hear. Have you got Airdrop working? There are terminal codes to enable/disable it.

Cheers

Got sound, now I want to fix the system preferences, they keep crashing.
Anybody have a clue"
No Airdrop, don't really need it.

pgrif

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2012
Eugene, OR
all over again

I decided that my 10.8.5 installation was way too buggy and started all over. Found a 10.8.3 installer and used MPF to install. Everything seems to work except maybe file transfer. Works in one direction only. Sound works, so do system preferences. If I go to 8.5 I have the boot,efi that I need to boot.

sumer

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2015
Toronto
I'm sure it's few and far between that someone has a fully functional mountain lion install with WiFi and file transfer working using MPF or MLPF. I doubt MPF gonnas get updated. I'll most likely revert back to Lion. File transfer is to buggy with MPF.

davg

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2015
I'm sure it's few and far between that someone has a fully functional mountain lion install with WiFi and file transfer working using MPF or MLPF. I doubt MPF gonnas get updated. I'll most likely revert back to Lion. File transfer is to buggy with MPF.

Thanks sumer that's where I'm gone not sure there is any benefits for me to try and get the newer osx on my older mac? Mountain Lion runs good but I do want file sharing?? and I am having major problems getting Mavericks to install I have not even tried Yosemity

sumer

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2015
Toronto
Thanks sumer that's where I'm gone not sure there is any benefits for me to try and get the newer osx on my older mac? Mountain Lion runs good but I do want file sharing?? and I am having major problems getting Mavericks to install I have not even tried Yosemity

I hear ya,
I tried the SFOTT method last night with mountain lion. It worked but system profiler said my native video card had 8mb. I realized that it was because my video kets weren't installed. Once I installed the kexts my video card showed the right amount of ram-Yay.The graphics were still laggy tho and file sharing only worked one way:( As I mentioned before with MLPF file sharing works flawlessy but wifi is messed up for me. MPF seems to work the best for me but file sharing is buggy.Mavericks works but i need to upgrade my GPU.
I'm pretty sure most of the devs have moved onto Yesomite. I'll have to check those threads to see if those installs work flawlessly.

davg

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2015
I hear ya,
I tried the SFOTT method last night with mountain lion. It worked but system profiler said my native video card had 8mb. I realized that it was because my video kets weren't installed. Once I installed the kexts my video card showed the right amount of ram-Yay.The graphics were still laggy tho and file sharing only worked one way:( As I mentioned before with MLPF file sharing works flawlessy but wifi is messed up for me. MPF seems to work the best for me but file sharing is buggy.Mavericks works but i need to upgrade my GPU.
I'm pretty sure most of the devs have moved onto Yesomite. I'll have to check those threads to see if those installs work flawlessly.
Ya I don't have Yosomity and don't think I will bother I will keep a check on that thread to see what happens??

atvusr

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2010
Once I installed the kexts my video card showed the right amount of ram-Yay. The graphics were still laggy [...] :(

Beside the Graphics Kexts you need also the appropriate OpenCL/GL Frameworks - see Post #4246 and onwards.

Mavericks and Yosemite aren't at the moment real alternatives on older Macs due to the lack of Graphics Acceleration (missing OpenCL/GL Frameworks) ....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.