Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
  1. I love the traction control. It works like a charm, The major 2010 Midwest snow storm took out the ABS Sensor and the only thing preventing me from fixing it is that it'll cost over $300 for a new hub assembly
  2. My chrome plate frame ARE plastic i got them from the Dollar Tree and it is my 3rd pair since march of 2014.

So you wouldn't disable ABS if the car had traction control?

Why your third pair?

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
So you wouldn't disable ABS if the car had traction control?

Why your third pair?

The ABS is disabled BECAUSE of the shot sensor (which according to the mechanic that scanned it said the wire ripped rite off of the sensor). I never disabled the ABS. You can turn off the Traction control manually by pushing a button but you cannot disable ABS (im sure a fuse could be yanked but no ABS=no TCS.

Third pair because one pair broke (mounts snapped off the front frame) and the rear one cracked putting it on, the second pair took a beating in the winter (Chrome started coming off) and the 3rd pair i took off the impala and chrome's coming off those too

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
The ABS is disabled BECAUSE of the shot sensor (which according to the mechanic that scanned it said the wire ripped rite off of the sensor). I never disabled the ABS. You can turn off the Traction control manually by pushing a button but you cannot disable ABS (im sure a fuse could be yanked but no ABS=no TCS.

Third pair because one pair broke (mounts snapped off the front frame) and the rear one cracked putting it on, the second pair took a beating in the winter (Chrome started coming off) and the 3rd pair i took off the impala and chrome's coming off those too

1. Yes, I got understand that. You disabled the ABS in your Daewoo though, we just had a whole thread about it in the PPC section.

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
1. Yes, I got understand that. You disabled the ABS in your Daewoo though, we just had a whole thread about it in the PPC section.

My Daewoo never had ABS It was a Dealer option and even then it was only Front wheel ABS

EDIT: My Daewoo was the VARY basic model. Its only luxury features were A/C (Which never worked anyway) and Automatic Transmission.

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
My Daewoo never had ABS It was a Dealer option and even then it was only Front wheel ABS

EDIT: My Daewoo was the VARY basic model. Its only luxury features were A/C (Which never worked anyway) and Automatic Transmission.

I'm not sure those constitute as "luxury" but I see what you're saying. I was under the impression you also disabled the ABS in your Daewoo in addition to the airbags. Never mind.

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
I'm not sure those constitute as "luxury" but I see what you're saying. I was under the impression you also disabled the ABS in your Daewoo in addition to the airbags. Never mind.

we dove it around for 6 years without even a clock. Can you believe that? Even the CLOCK was optional!

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2012
Basically the above. LadyX just comes in here asking about a completely different vehicle every other day, with no context for why she's asking, and they are usually vague questions that either have no value like "what do you think" or questions that could easily be answered with a 5 minute google search, and when someone does reply and point something out, she argues back (i.e. the Inifiniti Elephant SUV refresh vs. redesign).

What the hell is wrong with you?? When did I argue back other than the time I disagreed with someone here that the Infiniti I WAS REFERRING TO was actually the old one which makes the current "Elephant" SUV -as you very much like to call- a redesign. Also, if you have an issue with me asking in a general manner about cars in a CAR THREAD then there is something seriously wrong with you. I never argued with someone here other than that one time when there was a misunderstanding between the two of us. Other than that, I just asked two general questions; one about the price of an Audi because a friend said something when on the Web it's something else. And the second time about the Mercedes and I replied by thanking those who replied with their opinion. That's all I wanted, a general opinion. But you seem to have an issue with that, or with me for some reason.

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
What the hell is wrong with you?? When did I argue back other than the time I disagreed with someone here that the Infiniti I WAS REFERRING TO was actually the old one which makes the current "Elephant" SUV -as you very much like to call- a redesign. Also, if you have an issue with me asking in a general manner about cars in a CAR THREAD then there is something seriously wrong with you. I never argued with someone here other than that one time when there was a misunderstanding between the two of us. Other than that, I just asked two general questions; one about the price of an Audi because a friend said something when on the Web it's something else. And the second time about the Mercedes and I replied by thanking those who replied with their opinion. That's all I wanted, a general opinion. But you seem to have an issue with that, or with me for some reason.

just stay away from VWs and non-Daewoo GMs

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Weren't you dead set on buying that Elephant looking Inifiniti SUV that you were adamant was a complete redesign when it was just a facelift?

You seem to be all over the place.

:D:cool: Too funny

----------

5 series? BMW? Yes, but compared to the Mercedes I'm looking into replacing, it's a huge improvement in terms of cabin space :)

The 5 series and E Class are in the same class. They are pretty equivalent in terms of space.

----------

Another sharp ride from the Geneva show, Kia Sportspace, concept, likely headed to production (though not sure about the US market):

Looks awesome. Kia said it will be in production in about 2 years or something

----------

Basically the above. LadyX just comes in here asking about a completely different vehicle every other day, with no context for why she's asking, and they are usually vague questions that either have no value like "what do you think" or questions that could easily be answered with a 5 minute google search, and when someone does reply and point something out, she argues back (i.e. the Inifiniti Elephant SUV refresh vs. redesign).

LOL. Spot on

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
Not sure whether to take that seriously? Especially from someone who doesn't even do basic safety repairs on his very old vehicles.

He told me to buy a new Daewoo because my BMW was essentailly firetrap...

Except you can't buy new Daewoos in the US anymore.

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
To be fair I'm a little confused myself.

Thank you for your input. I think I'm going to check out the Q5. I don't need anything bigger or more spacious. The size of the Q5 is just fine.
Thank you for the recommendation but the Q5 is too small to be a family car for us.

But whatever. Needs change. Even in just a matter of 7 days.

My grandfather has a 2008 E350 4Matic (W211 model, like yours) that is virtually the same size as my 2009 535xi. Technically speaking all of the interior dimensions are within +/- 1". I believe the BMW may have a slightly larger trunk.

Centaurr

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2015
Florida
my favorite top 5 cars are:

mustang (cobra edition)
nissan GT-R (also known as, Godzilla)
jeep wrangler (with monster truck wheels)
bmw (2-door)
scion (tc)

i know what you are gonna say, wheres the lambo?
im more of a realistic guy that knows whats *Attainable* and whats *UNattainble* :p

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2012
The Car Thread ... !

To be fair I'm a little confused myself.

But whatever. Needs change. Even in just a matter of 7 days.

My grandfather has a 2008 E350 4Matic (W211 model, like yours) that is virtually the same size as my 2009 535xi. Technically speaking all of the interior dimensions are within +/- 1". I believe the BMW may have a slightly larger trunk.

Someone, I don't know if it's you, recommended the Q5 as a family car. I stated that it's too small to be a family car for us. The Q5 is a car for me not for the whole family that's why I said that I don't need anything bigger, I'm debating between this and the E-Class.

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
Not sure whether to take that seriously? Especially from someone who doesn't even do basic safety repairs on his very old vehicles.

VWs cost a FORTUNE to maintain and GMs suffer from constant battery drain with no cause behind it. Old vehicles is the point there, not only would it cost too much to fix the safety features, It's not even a priority. Where the hell do i have to go to need them? I don't drive on highways and i drive less than 2500 miles a year I drive more like 800 or less...

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
VWs cost a FORTUNE to maintain
Not really no... I think I've owned about half a dozen in the last few years. I've lost track. Gone are the days when I swap cars like I go through new iPhones.
and GMs suffer from constant battery drain with no cause behind it.

What? That's like saying every Honda/Acura has transmission problems. They don't, it's only the V6 models from the early 2000s.

----------

Someone, I don't know if it's you, recommended the Q5 as a family car.

4c2c9cad35.png

What are you talking about? YOU brought up the Q5 and asked people for their opinion. YOU thought of it as a family car, not us.

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
He told me to buy a new Daewoo because my BMW was essentailly firetrap...

Except you can't buy new Daewoos in the US anymore.

i never said that... I said they are known for engine and dash fires... and yes you can still buy Daewoo's in the US they are just badges as GMs

2010-Current Chevy Cruze= Daewoo Lacetti-Premiere the car meant to replace both the Chevy Cobalt and the Daewoo Lacetti (Suzuki Forenza in the US)
2004-2012 Chevy Aveo= Daewoo Kalos
2012-current Chevy Spark= Daewoo Matiz
Chevy Sonic= Daewoo Kanos Redesign that replaced the Aveo
2010-current Buick Lacrosse= Daewoo Aphleon.

----------

Not really no... I think I've owned about half a dozen in the last few years. I've lost track. Gone are the days when I swap cars like I go through new iPhones.

What? That's like saying every Honda/Acura has transmission problems. They don't, it's only the V6 models from the early 2000s.

----------

What are you talking about? YOU brought up the Q5 and asked people for their opinion. YOU thought of it as a family car, not us.

Every GM we have ever owned was either a money pit or a battery killer.

Example: 1990 Chevy Celebrity Wagon - CONSTANT dead batteries ending up putting in like 5 in 10 years...

Another example: 1998 S10 suffered a dead battery since it was a used car we got a new battery the VARY next day (LESS THAN 24 HOURS) after the battery was put in it was stone cold dead.... not a single light or anything left on no source at all to why it died.... that same battery died 5 more times in simular fassions until we got rid of it 4 years ago or so...
Another example: My 2001 Impala battery goes dead every damn week. the car has Battery Rundown Protection so NOTHING can possibly bring the battery down because the BRP shuts off anything with high drain on the battery.
and a example of a money pit is Saturns

----------

my favorite top 5 cars are:

mustang (cobra edition)
nissan GT-R (also known as, Godzilla)
jeep wrangler (with monster truck wheels)
bmw (2-door)
scion (tc)

i know what you are gonna say, wheres the lambo?
im more of a realistic guy that knows whats *Attainable* and whats *UNattainble* :p

My friend has a 2014 Scion tC :) (she hates when i call it a "Toyoter") shes says its a Scion not a Toyota.... hell its the same damn thing!

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
VWs cost a FORTUNE to maintain and GMs suffer from constant battery drain with no cause behind it. Old vehicles is the point there, not only would it cost too much to fix the safety features, It's not even a priority. Where the hell do i have to go to need them? I don't drive on highways and i drive less than 2500 miles a year I drive more like 800 or less...

Wow, do you always generalise that much? A VW is just a car like any other car, there is no logical reason for it why they should cost any more to maintain than any other car. Especially the old models that you seem to enjoy...

But also the current models, service interval for my 2015 Golf R is about 20K miles and then it is only about £275....Not bad for two years motoring, and due to the safety features incorporated, full comprehensive insurance is only £136 per year...

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston

My understanding now is she is actually looking for 2 cars. One for herself and one for her family.

----------

i never said that... I said they are known for engine and dash fires... and yes you can still buy Daewoo's in the US they are just badges as GMs

2010-Current Chevy Cruze= Daewoo Lacetti-Premiere the car meant to replace both the Chevy Cobalt and the Daewoo Lacetti (Suzuki Forenza in the US)
2004-2012 Chevy Aveo= Daewoo Kalos
2012-current Chevy Spark= Daewoo Matiz
Chevy Sonic= Daewoo Kanos Redesign that replaced the Aveo
2010-current Buick Lacrosse= Daewoo Aphleon.

----------

Every GM we have ever owned was either a money pit or a battery killer.

Example: 1990 Chevy Celebrity Wagon - CONSTANT dead batteries ending up putting in like 5 in 10 years...

Another example: 1998 S10 suffered a dead battery since it was a used car we got a new battery the VARY next day (LESS THAN 24 HOURS) after the battery was put in it was stone cold dead.... not a single light or anything left on no source at all to why it died.... that same battery died 5 more times in simular fassions until we got rid of it 4 years ago or so...
Another example: My 2001 Impala battery goes dead every damn week. the car has Battery Rundown Protection so NOTHING can possibly bring the battery down because the BRP shuts off anything with high drain on the battery.
and a example of a money pit is Saturns

----------

My friend has a 2014 Scion tC :) (she hates when i call it a "Toyoter") shes says its a Scion not a Toyota.... hell its the same damn thing!

1. I would still never buy a Daewoo or any Chevy sedan... and probably not a GM since their cars and SUV's aren't great and I'm not interested in buying a truck. That and their involvement with the US Government and taxpayers. In general GM has poor marketing, poor styling, not the best reliability, not the best value, and not the best value. I know Quagmire will jump in here in any moment and recommend a Cadillac :). He's well versed so I trust his knowledge but overall GM vehicles are not appealing to me. Same with Ford/Lincoln and most certainly with Chrysler/Dodge. A Grand Cherokee is the only American car I would consider purchasing unless I had to buy a pickup in which case I'd probably go with Ford or GM.

2. So we should or shouldn't buy GM products? You recommend Daewoo, GM products, but then say they eat batteries. The newest car you mention is 14 years old. Also consider the fact that you live in MN where I assume it gets cold in the winter which will ruin batteries. On the S10 maybe you had a bad alternator or defective battery. What quality of batteries are you buying? There are a range of quality options and different manufacturing techniques offered by different brands, each usually ideal for a particular climate.

3. I would hate you calling a Toyota a "Toyoter". On a side note my mother had trouble believing her '09 ES350 was a dressed up Toyota Camry

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
Wow, do you always generalise that much? A VW is just a car like any other car, there is no logical reason for it why they should cost any more to maintain than any other car. Especially the old models that you seem to enjoy...

But also the current models, service interval for my 2015 Golf R is about 20K miles and then it is only about £275....Not bad for two years motoring, and due to the safety features incorporated, full comprehensive insurance is only £136 per year...

in the US VWs cost alot to maintain because its German its no difference than working on a Merc they are a bitch to work on and 9 times out of 10 the only places you can get parts are from dealers which in most cases over 200 bucks for example a seatbelt for a 1999 VW Bug is $275... a new door lock and key is over $180.... a Power Window Regulator is $150 they cost WAY more to fix than a GM or a Honda

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
My understanding now is she is actually looking for 2 cars. One for herself and one for her family.

----------

1. I would still never buy a Daewoo or any Chevy sedan... and probably not a GM since their cars and SUV's aren't great and I'm not interested in buying a truck. That and their involvement with the US Government and taxpayers. In general GM has poor marketing, poor styling, not the best reliability, not the best value, and not the best value. I know Quagmire will jump in here in any moment and recommend a Cadillac :). He's well versed so I trust his knowledge but overall GM vehicles are not appealing to me. Same with Ford/Lincoln and most certainly with Chrysler/Dodge. A Grand Cherokee is the only American car I would consider purchasing unless I had to buy a pickup in which case I'd probably go with Ford or GM.

2. So we should or shouldn't buy GM products? You recommend Daewoo, GM products, but then say they eat batteries. The newest car you mention is 14 years old. Also consider the fact that you live in MN where I assume it gets cold in the winter which will ruin batteries. On the S10 maybe you had a bad alternator or defective battery. What quality of batteries are you buying? There are a range of quality options and different manufacturing techniques offered by different brands, each usually ideal for a particular climate.

3. I would hate you calling a Toyota a "Toyoter". On a side note my mother had trouble believing her '09 ES350 was a dressed up Toyota Camry

Being a person that is frugal with no money you get the cheapest you can get, Cheapest cars, cheapest oil, cheapest Antifreeze, cheapest tyres, cheapest batteries we get DieHard batteries and those are not what you'd call cheap when you have to pay over $100 bucks. Hell I'd throw in a tiny $50 lawn tractor battery in my cars if i could! I don't believe for one second the cold as a thing to do with it. My Daewoo starts ALL the time even when it is 60 below zero ACTUAL tempature outside and the DieHard battery in it right now is going to be 7 years old this August, The battery in the Impala however is 2 years old and already needing a battery charger every week on it. It too is a DieHard battery that cost use almost $200 (650 Cold Cranking Amps my ass) I can get by just fine on a cheaper ($80) battery that has 580 CCA. As my line of logic goes... A Tyre is a Tyre, A battery is a battery, oil is oil. They all work the same and do the same thing

EDIT: A Daewoo is just BADGED a GM in reality is is still Korean (GM just owns Daewoo) and most GM Daewoos are built in Korea and imported to the US and sold as GM rather than Daewoo.

EDIT 2: the 2013/2014 winter was BRUTAL in MN with extreme clod temps most of which were 20 below 0 or colder and on the coldest day we had (60 below) i unfortunately had to go out in it to run some errands and my Daewoo started right up (Screamed and groaned) but started.... I talked to some friends later that day and no one's car stated but mine..... Daewoo's may be cheap to own but they are sure as hell reliable cars they never leave you stranded..

Last edited:

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2012
The Car Thread ... !

I'm not sure if you're slow or maybe you don't read my entire posts. I've said a thousand times, I'm in the market for TWO cars, one for MYSELF the other for my FAMILY. I have thought of the Q5, yes, I didn't deny that, but as a car for MYSELF, someone here recommended it as a FAMILY car, that's when I said it's too small to be a FAMILY car. Now do you understand?

Exactly. And I don't know how many times I've said it here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.