Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

128kmacintosh

macrumors member
May 20, 2014
USA
Do not run 'software update' after installation

Mac Pro 2.1 and Mac Pro 1.1
Do not run software update after you installed Yosemite. I got mine running fine after SFOTT and then thought I'd give it a try after saving my files to time machine. Took me all afternoon to get my installation and HD (!!!!) to work again.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Do not run software update after you installed Yosemite. I got mine running fine after SFOTT and then thought I'd give it a try after saving my files to time machine. Took me all afternoon to get my installation and HD (!!!!) to work again.

Yes, you need to install the piker lose fix from 666sheep, reboot, then you can run software update.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC

I could be wrong so don't beat me up about it if that turns out to be the case, but here it goes.

If I were going to go through the extra work of making the older machine run the newer OS, I wouldn't rely on TM to restore the drive and its special configuration. I would clone the entire drive to either a restorable disk image, or to a fully bootable HDD immeadeatly prior to attempting ANY OSX updates. That way if everything gets hosed, it's a simple process to restore. I use the cloning function of TechTool Pro for this. There are several other applications that are capable of this task. With a little practice you'll find it's an easy process that can save your bacon.

Reactions: Fereous

artooks

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2015
Hi,

Can someone please tell me how should I clone my drive first with which software and how can I install the 10.10.2 update, please tell me how to do I do not have a clue.

Thanks

artooks

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2015
128kmacintosh, thank you very much but I am a bit confused, right now in my Mac Pro 2,1 The OS is Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10.1 I installed it with sfott but now I need to update it to 10.10.2 I read the link you gave me but there are 2 files one is pikeyosefix- black and pikeyosefix-gray so which one I use and where do I put it, and after doing what I can update it to 10.10.2, I appreciate if you can help me with these.

Thanks.

128kmacintosh

macrumors member
May 20, 2014
USA
128kmacintosh, thank you very much but I am a bit confused, right now in my Mac Pro 2,1 The OS is Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10.1 I installed it with sfott but now I need to update it to 10.10.2 I read the link you gave me but there are 2 files one is pikeyosefix- black and pikeyosefix-gray so which one I use and where do I put it, and after doing what I can update it to 10.10.2, I appreciate if you can help me with these.

Thanks.
I used black because that is what the screen looks like now, both are the same program. Just a personal preference... kind of like the turkey dinner at thanksgiving.

artooks

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2015
128kmacintosh thank you very much, so I click and install the black file and once this is installed the I install the original 10.10.2 update right ?

128kmacintosh

macrumors member
May 20, 2014
USA
128kmacintosh thank you very much, so I click and install the black file and once this is installed the I install the original 10.10.2 update right ?
correct... make a back up to your Time Machine before installing , just to be sure. I did it on both of my mac pro and it worked.

artooks

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2015
128kmacintosh just trying to understand something, I already used sfott to install 10.10.1 at first place, do do I still need to install this file and my boot screen is already black right now, so just wondering what happens if I do not install this file ? so you need this file even if you are on sfott right.

128kmacintosh

macrumors member
May 20, 2014
USA
128kmacintosh just trying to understand something, I already used sfott to install 10.10.1 at first place, do do I still need to install this file and my boot screen is already black right now, so just wondering what happens if I do not install this file ? so you need this file even if you are on sfott right.

What will happen is this:
if you for some reason install the 10.10.2 update. and reboot your computer will not recognize the OS anymore. You won't be able to reinstall another OS (say Snow Leopard- the last OS on a install disk) to save your install. You won't be able to format it- or better it won't matter if you do.
It took me a lounge time to get my OS back with another Yosemite install.

Last edited:

artooks

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2015
128kmacintosh so as I am already under sfott to install the new update 10.10.2 over 10.10.1, do I first install pikeyosefix by double clicking and once this installation is over I reboot and then I go and install the original 10.10.2 , is this the way I should follow is this correct because I do not want to make a mistake.

Thanks

128kmacintosh

macrumors member
May 20, 2014
USA
128kmacintosh so as I am already under sfott to install the new update 10.10.2 over 10.10.1, do I first install pikeyosefix by double clicking and once this installation is over I reboot and then I go and install the original 10.10.2 , is this the way I should follow is this correct because I do not want to make a mistake.

Thanks

I am sorry for the late response. If you want to be 100% safe then install a copy of your OS on another HD and back up your time machine just before.
personally I had no problems after installing pikey

Ariii8

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2015
I've tried everything but still getting the kernel panic.

Could it be from my graphics card? it's 7300GT
MacPro 1,1 (Lion chameleon)

I've tried it on USB and also partitioned my main drive for SFOTT, but none of it worked out.
Any advice?

Last edited:

kobajagrande

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2014
I am also very anxious about updating to yosemite, and still not doing it for the moment.
I see people did it on the macpro 1.1 but with ATI graphic cards. Mine on the other hand is the nvidia, and I am afraid I am going to end up with kernel panic as Ariii8. Does anyone has information if this method works for our mac pros ? Anyone succeeded yet ?

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
I am also very anxious about updating to yosemite, and still not doing it for the moment.
I see people did it on the macpro 1.1 but with ATI graphic cards. Mine on the other hand is the nvidia, and I am afraid I am going to end up with kernel panic as Ariii8. Does anyone has information if this method works for our mac pros ? Anyone succeeded yet ?

Feel free to take a minute and read the various posts.

You may want to firther identify your GPU beyond "the nvidia". If you dig you may find it has a model number. This will be important.

kobajagrande

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2014
Sorry did not put the whole model name, as I referred to the Ariii8's post, where he says it is a NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 256 MB, same as mine.
I will try to dig through the posts, but my biggest problem is that this Mac is used for production so I can not afford to halt it more than couple of hours, which will be the case if something goes wrong.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Sorry did not put the whole model name, as I referred to the Ariii8's post, where he says it is a NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 256 MB, same as mine.
I will try to dig through the posts, but my biggest problem is that this Mac is used for production so I can not afford to halt it more than couple of hours, which will be the case if something goes wrong.

That card has no drivers after 10.7.5

It will function via EFI but will only output limited resolutions to 1 display and show approx 7 Mb of RAM. Animations will be clunky and transparent/translucent items will either not appear or will be solid..

The rest of your machine will have no trouble updating to latest OS, but only IF YOU FOLLOW DIRECTIONS EXACTLY.

Easiest will be if you have a 3,1-5,1 Mac Pro and can do install there and just move drive back to 1,1. Next easiest would be via Firewire hard drive mode.

Final choice is to build or download a pre-built installer. There are also folks on Ebay selling hard drives with existing installs on them. (MODS - I HAVE NO CONNECTION, NOT SELLING, ETC)

But it is vitally important that you not gloss over any details or skip any steps.

Easiest thing is a 3,1 as the drive sleds are same length.

CrashHouse

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2014
Unfortenately I get the

Still waiting for root device

Message / error.

2nd try succes!!!

- Reinstalled using my 'dedicated' SFOTT usb.
- Changed default language to English.
- Unplugged al USB devices except keyboard and mouse.
- Repaired permissions.
- Ran Piker Yose fix (black).
- Reboot
- Downloaded Yosemite 10.10.2 combo update
- Ran update.
- Plugged all devices back.
- Reboot
- Voila

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.